Marvel Cinematic Universe

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

For those who have seen it.. Venom: Thumbs up or Thumbs Down

• Thumbs Up

Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Please don't let this suck. Please don't let this suck.

Although I do have to slightly wonder if combining GotG and Ragnarok Thor is going to be just a bit to muh comedy to try and stuff into one movie.
If there is anyone who's hitting on all cylinders when it comes to churning out quality content when it comes to mixing comedy and drama, it's Taika Waititi.

• Agree
Reactions: mfelske

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
I'm going try to avoid all L&T spoilers. I've been doing my best with DS2. So far I've only watched the stuff at the end of No Way Home and the first official trailer. I'm sure the L&T trailer will play before DS2, so I'm going to try to let that be all that I see.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Finally saw Spiderman. The most impressive thing was getting everyone back on board.
Definitely wiped the slate clean for whatever they have him doing next.

Not super pumped for the DS movie but the kids are so we'll see it I'm sure.

Reactions: Triggermv

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Please don't let this suck. Please don't let this suck.

Although I do have to slightly wonder if combining GotG and Ragnarok Thor is going to be just a bit to muh comedy to try and stuff into one movie.

Ragnarok might be my favorite MCU movie so bring it on if you ask me.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Ragnarok might be my favorite MCU movie so bring it on if you ask me.
It's right up there for me too. Guess if I had to pick a top 5, it would be:

1. Infinity War
2. Ragnarok
3. GoG1
4. Iron Man 1
5. Winter Soldier
HM: Endgame, Thor 1

Reactions: cyclone4L

GBlade

Mar 9, 2014
Why is everyone dressed like the 80s? I understand that's Peter Quill's backstory, but why does Thor have Marty McFly's vest?

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Why is everyone dressed like the 80s? I understand that's Peter Quill's backstory, but why does Thor have Marty McFly's vest?
Could be a ravagers jacket, those are all red leather.

I loved Ragnarok, I just hope they can make some of the character choices/arcs actually stick for him. Seriously they abandon them as soon as the next movie.

The obvious example is Ragnarok establishing that Thor doesn’t need a hammer to be Thor, then immediately in Infinity War he needs a hammer. But his arc as a king is just as weird:

Thor: Almost made king, realizes in the end he has a lot to learn.
Dark World: Realizes in the end he doesn’t want to be king.
Age of Ultron: Ends with Thor going off to investigate the infinity stones.
Ragnarok: Throwaway line about not being able to find any info on the remaining stones, plot line abandoned. Ends with Thor finally recognized as king.
Infinity War: minutes after becoming king his remaining subjects are decimated.
Endgame: “rules” in exile while drinking beer and playing video games. Once Thanos is defeated he abdicates.

Literally all that build up for him to legitimately rule for a matter of minutes. I just hope someday we eventually get to see old man King Thor ruling with one eye and one arm made from the destroyer armor. He was badass in Aaron’s run.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Moon Knight Ep 4 started as Indiana Jones and then took a hard left into something totally different. Can't believe we've only got two left. Here's hoping they keep the big Marvel third act CGI fight to a minimum.

Reactions: GBlade and AirWalke

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Moon Knight Ep 4 started as Indiana Jones and then took a hard left into something totally different. Can't believe we've only got two left. Here's hoping they keep the big Marvel third act CGI fight to a minimum.

I will say, I think all of these Marvel shows try to do too much in 6 episodes. This one seems a little tighter focused which I like which IMO has it so far as the best one with Loki.

• Agree
Reactions: burn587

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Yep, first half was Indiana Jones, then it’s hard left went into Twin Peaks territory. Also threw me off with music sounding like it came from The Squid Game.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I come in peace as a non superhero fan (only one I’ve ever liked was Batman).

I’ve noticed my friends saying they’re burnt out or starting to get burnt out from SuperHero movies/media nowadays and I’m curious if any of y’all are starting to feel that way?

Seems to me based on previews and everything I see on Reddit that it’s not slowing down anytime soon. There’s just too much money still

• Friendly
Reactions: Scruff

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA

I’ve noticed my friends saying they’re burnt out or starting to get burnt out from SuperHero movies/media nowadays and I’m curious if any of y’all are starting to feel that way?

Seems to me based on previews and everything I see on Reddit that it’s not slowing down anytime soon. There’s just too much money still
Bashing superhero movies has certainly become popular. I think people that didn't truly appreciate them to begin with are the ones burnt out. I'm only burnt out by DC repeating the same heroes and villains.

The MCU continues to dive deep into new stories and new characters of which I cannot get enough of. I really didn't know anything about MoonKnight and he just jumped to one of my favorites in 4 episodes. I believe Disney+ is opening up the stories and characters with the time and space they require to tell their stories. Most people I know aren't watching them at all, but I seriously cannot wait for the next episode, the next series, etc.

I hear a lot of people comparing Superheroes to Western movies of old. If you like the genre you watch it and you enjoy it. I think superhero burnout isn't nearly as big of a phenomenon as those that dislike the genre claim. These movies are still vastly outselling everything else. COVID hurt, but it hurt all movies. Superhero movies are going to continue selling the best for some time.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I'm going try to avoid all L&T spoilers. I've been doing my best with DS2. So far I've only watched the stuff at the end of No Way Home and the first official trailer. I'm sure the L&T trailer will play before DS2, so I'm going to try to let that be all that I see.
This. I am not even going to watch the trailer. My expectations are super high (probably too high) for L&T but I just don't see how it could be bad.

Reactions: Hoggins

houjix

Jul 21, 2021

Not burnt out per se, but maybe a bit more tempered in my approach. I'm not rushing out to see things opening night, but usually get there opening weekend. Haven't gone to many of the DC offerings at all. (Only went to Joker and Shazam the last few years). I have been getting caught up on HBO Max on lately, though.

Skipped my first Marvel related project with Morbius (mainly because it looked awful).

I've actually enjoyed most of the Marvel TV shows. It's been good to spend a little more time with the characters and stories that wouldn't necessarily work on the big screen. While some have been a bit uneven, a few have been real winners for me.

Still excited for the next couple of Marvel big screen projects as they are for characters I enjoy. The DC ones will probably be similar to skip it and watch it 45 days later on HBO. Of course that can change if either of my kids want to go see something.