Tyrese Hunter Entering the Transfer Portal - NIL Speculation

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
As much as I would hate it, I would also love for ISU to get the chance to host him in a game. As others have said, can't blame the kid if he leaves for a big payday, but also would love to hear the boos a player gets after that kind of move.

Why boo the kid?

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
I think there should be an addendum to the NIL where the school who takes the kid, in this case North Carolina, should also have to pay ISU for the year worth of development, school, and whatever amount the school has invested into that individual. I know it would be hard to determine all the different factors, but maybe just put a blanket cost on it. All the time to recruit the individual and now all the time to recruit a replacement in the 11th hour. Should be some sort of compensation for the school especially schools like ISU who can't afford to pay the kids like the North Carolina's of the world. Nothing else it would give us an opportunity to turn around and get a quality replacement to take the money and do a cash drop to someone else who is the same talent or near the same quality player as Hunter.
I think the simplest solution is NIL cannot be tied to an institution.

if someone wants to pay the athlete for his name, image or likeness good for the athlete but that payment cannot restrict where the athlete plays.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
No reason to be an ass to a kid who gave their best for Iowa State and made a personal decision concerning his own well being. Better to remain silent and not cheer. Booing is just complete lack of class. I guess I don’t harbor the ill feelings that some do.
He may have given his best for 1 year, then bailed as a team leader.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
No reason to be an ass to a kid who gave their best for Iowa State and made a personal decision concerning his own well being. Better to remain silent and not cheer. Booing is just complete lack of class. I guess I don’t harbor the ill feelings that some do.

F that. Once a cyclone always a cyclone shouldn’t apply to people using ISU as a feeder school for a blue blood.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
As much as I would hate it, I would also love for ISU to get the chance to host him in a game. As others have said, can't blame the kid if he leaves for a big payday, but also would love to hear the boos a player gets after that kind of move.

It's ISU I really doubt if he would get booed during intros, heckled during the game sure but booed on the intros doubtful. IMO.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
F that. Once a cyclone always a cyclone shouldn’t apply to people using ISU as a feeder school for a blue blood.

Is it okay for players to use lower level schools and enter the portal to transfer to a non-blue blood P6 Conference School?

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
A way to slow down NIL one year deals would be if a player wants to leave without there being a coaching charge, he/she has to sit out a year. That should be the minimum. Free transfer year combined with NIL is stupid.
Should kids on music scholarships have to sit out a year from playing in public? Should kids on art scholarships not get to display their art?

Those students are allowed to transfer at will and be paid for their talent.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I'm assuming they'll just start putting buyout clauses in some of these bigger NIL deals

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
OK, fine, but have we thought about running NIL through an organization? Just a thought here. Spitballing, really.

huh - a not for profit is in the works, the legalities take some time. I don't know all the specifics because I just see the emails sent to me and zoom call invites, with tax season I didn't have to to join in the calls.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I think the simplest solution is NIL cannot be tied to an institution.

if someone wants to pay the athlete for his name, image or likeness good for the athlete but that payment cannot restrict where the athlete plays.

Just require that the money paid is equivalent to the services provided. The point of NIL was to allow student athletes to use their likeness to promote goods and services. Just paying them because they signed with your school was not the spirit of the movement. Paying for things like appearances, commercials, autographs, and the like almost immediately turned into paying to play. So if you go back to the original spirit and say that an athlete can be paid for doing a commercial for example, but that payment has to be in line with the value provided. Or to pay for a custom jersey should only be the incremental increase over a generic jersey.

But the toothpaste is out of the tube and I don't see how they fix this situation where it's just now a payment to play for a school and nothing to do with NIL.

Help Support Us

Become a patron