***2021-22 NCAA Mens Basketball Thread***

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
There are two teams whose NET ranking I cannot figure out - ISU and Wisconsin. I think both should be way higher.
Until they disclose the formula, the NET is a illegitimate system.

Yeah, couldn't sleep so was up messing with numbers earlier this morning. I posted this in another BB thread. I have WIS at #6, ISU #10, Alabama is underrated too.

Playing around with NET rankings and Quad records, I have put subjective numbers to values and came up with the following. West Virginia is quite a bit underrated and Texas is overrated. Also shows three groupings in Big 12 (in order):
Tier 1: 2-Baylor, 3-Kansas, 10-Iowa State, 13-Texas Tech
Tier 2: 26-West Virginia, 30-Oklahoma, 35-Texas, 43-Oklahoma State
Tier 3: 56-Kansas State, 57-TCU

RankNETTeam
16Auburn
25Baylor
39Kansas
43Villanova
58LSU
617Wisconsin
77Purdue
824Alabama
915Xavier
1023Iowa State
1111Illinois
1226BYU
1314Texas Tech
1432Providence
152Arizona
161Gonzaga
1722Ohio State
1825Michigan State
1913Tennessee
204Houston
2139Marquette
2212Duke
2329Seton Hall
2434San Francisco
2528USC
2645West Virginia
2710Kentucky
2816Uconn
2938Belmont
3036Oklahoma
3135Davidson
3227Wyoming
3366Miama Fl
3420UCLA
3519Texas
3631Murray State
3718Loyola Chicago
3843San Diego State
3921Iowa
4049Iona

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
There are two teams whose NET ranking I cannot figure out - ISU and Wisconsin. I think both should be way higher.
And Texas and Iowa make no sense - way too high. I don't believe NET has a preseason bias, but perhaps it does, and that would help explain some of the outliers.

I also wonder if the weighting of NET efficiencies goes down as the season goes on and there are more w/l and SOS data points. I think it makes sense to use efficiencies for a while, but when every team has played over 30 games I don't see the need to use any predictive tools any more.

As for gaming the system, I'll hand it to them, it makes it hard to do when your system can spit out such idiotic results as Iowa and Texas being where they are. Actually, I think the Iowa outlier at least helps provide some insight - keep your starters in and press if you are up against the garbage teams. If you are getting blown out by a good team, wait until they put in their garbage time guys and walk-ons, then press the hell out of them with your starters to make the margin better.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
And Texas and Iowa make no sense - way too high. I don't believe NET has a preseason bias, but perhaps it does, and that would help explain some of the outliers.

I also wonder if the weighting of NET efficiencies goes down as the season goes on and there are more w/l and SOS data points. I think it makes sense to use efficiencies for a while, but when every team has played over 30 games I don't see the need to use any predictive tools any more.

As for gaming the system, I'll hand it to them, it makes it hard to do when your system can spit out such idiotic results as Iowa and Texas being where they are. Actually, I think the Iowa outlier at least helps provide some insight - keep your starters in and press if you are up against the garbage teams. If you are getting blown out by a good team, wait until they put in their garbage time guys and walk-ons, then press the hell out of them with your starters to make the margin better.

If I had to guess, it's that the margin of victory is capped at 10, but the efficiency metrics aren't capped - so basically blowing teams out by 40 and doing while shooting 70% still matters a whole lot. Iowa did that very well against the cupcakes, and so did UT.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
If I had to guess, it's that the margin of victory is capped at 10, but the efficiency metrics aren't capped - so basically blowing teams out by 40 and doing while shooting 70% still matters a whole lot. Iowa did that very well against the cupcakes, and so did UT.
That seems to be driving it. I do wonder if offensive efficiency also is weighted more heavily. I don't think ISU and Wisconsin's net efficiencies are too different from Iowa, but Iowa's is driven by great offensive efficiency. Whether it's in weighting or if there's some other way in how it's formulated it seems like offensive efficiency is being valued pretty heavily.

It seems like most systems, NET ended up shaking out over time and not producing strange outliers.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Looking at the box it was all about turnovers. 22-11, not good for TCU. Hopefully we can make them pay in a similar fashion.

OSU defense is 7th in Pomeroy. Their offense 174. How on earth did they win AT Baylor? Baylor must have totally overlooked them.

9 of 10 teams in the top 30 defensively. No nights off in this league. Don't bother to comb your hair.

DEF OFF
Tech 2 66
ISU 4 108
Baylor 12 5
Texas 18 30
Wv 22 102
KSU 23 132
TCU 26 125
OU 28 56
Kansas 35 3

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
That seems to be driving it. I do wonder if offensive efficiency also is weighted more heavily. I don't think ISU and Wisconsin's net efficiencies are too different from Iowa, but Iowa's is driven by great offensive efficiency. Whether it's in weighting or if there's some other way in how it's formulated it seems like offensive efficiency is being valued pretty heavily.

It seems like most systems, NET ended up shaking out over time and not producing strange outliers.

I think you have it here. Run it up on the cupcakes and your OE looks amazing. Ho-hum it against the cupcakes and your OE looks very meh.

That's your difference with Iowa and ISU. Iowa put it on those teams. ISU, due to both style and early season figuring themselves out, did not.

The shocking conclusion to that is ISU's offense is probably better than it looks on paper.
Let's all put that in our collective pipes and smoke it.

Reactions: dahliaclone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Purdue/Indiana on FS1.

Saw a 'classic' the other night from 1994 with Glenn Robinson. It was a lot of fun watching him back then.