Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
That’s a super weak foul call. Literally everyone on both teams would foul out in first 10 minutes of the game if that’s called consistently. Hate Iowa, but - as an objective observer who has watched a lot of basketball - that’s some seriously weak $hit at end of game.

Didn't watch the game, but just seeing a clip, that seems like a weak foul to me. I just enjoy the hypocrisy of making fun of ISU fans for complaining about the refs, only to complain about the refs a mere 24 hours later. And people too stupid to realize that they are being hypocrites. Look, fans are fans. Everyone is going to think that they got screwed by the refs at some point and search for a reason to blame an L on. They're also going to gloss over when they get favorable calls or make lucky shots.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Didn't watch the game, but just seeing a clip, that seems like a weak foul to me. I just enjoy the hypocrisy of making fun of ISU fans for complaining about the refs, only to complain about the refs a mere 24 hours later. And people too stupid to realize that they are being hypocrites. Look, fans are fans. Everyone is going to think that they got screwed by the refs at some point and search for a reason to blame an L on. They're also going to gloss over when they get favorable calls or make lucky shots.

It was a horrible call but they happen every game. If you put yourself in a position to lose a game because of one horrible call you didn't do enough to win in the first place.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I agree it wasn’t a foul, but I hate this idea of situational refereeing. If it’s a foul at the beginning of the game, it should still be a foul with 2 seconds left. Refs shouldn’t just not enforce the rules just because the clock is close to zero.
I would've been OK with them calling it had they been calling it tight all night, but they weren't.

I like the idea of refs forgetting situations and just calling what they see and let the results be what they are. It's less about whether watching that clip and you debate whether it's a foul or not. I only watched the second half, and they were not calling a particularly tight game.

Oh well, you can't be in that position against Rutgers. They are not a terrible team, and it's a road game, but they aren't good. They've got some bad losses, and they might be the worst ball handling team in power conference basketball.

• Agree
Reactions: GoHawks

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
It was a horrible call but they happen every game. If you put yourself in a position to lose a game because of one horrible call you didn't do enough to win in the first place.

Exactly how I feel. I wasn't even mad as it was kind of expected in a close game on the road. Iowa didn't play good enough to win that game and had their chances. On to the next one.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Well that and he doesn’t have anything else to do
He's not ready to sell insurance to Marion-area Hawk fans for his dad's company.

"Hi. This is Jorbo with Bohannon Insurance"
"That was great when you left your shoes at Hilton"
"I know. I'm awesome"
"I'll take another term life policy from the Bohannon agency"
"Go Hawks! Clowns suck!"
"Go Hawks! Clowns suck!"

• Haha
Reactions: carvers4math

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Iowa once again showed last night that they are a paper tiger. They fill it up against inferior competition but any team that gets in their space and plays physical they absolutely crumble. The book is out there on how to slow Iowa down. Pack it in and take away the drive and they are a really bad 1/2 court offense.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

Absolutely true. I have more of a problem when refs call a game like ISU vs TT than a couple missed calls like ISU vs KU. In the TT game, they let TT grab and push all game while ISU got in foul trouble for similar, but not as blatant stuff. It's tough to overcome that, although ISU did a poor job of adjusting to how the refs were calling it. Missed/wrong calls suck, but they happen. I get more upset when they're not calling it the same way on both ends.

Reminds me of the WV press. The refs allow them to get pushy and handsy because if they called everything, WV would be out of players. All the while, the opponent gets in foul trouble. Funny how that never works out for them in the NCAA tournament.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
I would've been OK with them calling it had they been calling it tight all night, but they weren't.

I like the idea of refs forgetting situations and just calling what they see and let the results be what they are. It's less about whether watching that clip and you debate whether it's a foul or not. I only watched the second half, and they were not calling a particularly tight game.

Oh well, you can't be in that position against Rutgers. They are not a terrible team, and it's a road game, but they aren't good. They've got some bad losses, and they might be the worst ball handling team in power conference basketball.
Definitely should of pressed more AGAIN. I think we were 3-3 in turnovers in that press but this is 1 time I can't really complain about the defense. We frequently struggle with physical defenses and was reason why I thought Rutgers +3 was a good bet.

• Informative
Reactions: JP4CY

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Absolutely true. I have more of a problem when refs call a game like ISU vs TT than a couple missed calls like ISU vs KU. In the TT game, they let TT grab and push all game while ISU got in foul trouble for similar, but not as blatant stuff. It's tough to overcome that, although ISU did a poor job of adjusting to how the refs were calling it. Missed/wrong calls suck, but they happen. I get more upset when they're not calling it the same way on both ends.

Reminds me of the WV press. The refs allow them to get pushy and handsy because if they called everything, WV would be out of players. All the while, the opponent gets in foul trouble. Funny how that never works out for them in the NCAA tournament.

Agree, they just need to be consistent. If you're going to call weak *ss touch fouls, do it all game on both sides. They let last night's game be a hockey match 99% of the way, and then call a soft touch foul 20+ feet from the basket with <2 seconds left and the game tied.

• Agree
Reactions: GoHawks

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009

That's the problem I had with this particular foul too because if you're going to call that then how many fouls should Rutgers have? Certainly not the 6 in the 2nd half they were at. I hate the hands defenses too and used Tech as an example last night. My problem with it is after awhile and typically when the bonus is reached they stop calling them

Help Support Us

Become a patron