Bowl Thoughts

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Just some random stuff:

(1) Just saw today there is yet another new Bowl Game, the Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl Game. wat? Seriously, Jimmy Kimmel? While the date is not great (12/18), it gets played in beautiful new SoFi stadium. Pac 12 v MWC. Why can't Bowlsby get us a nice spot like this?

(2) Ugh, saw a horrible prediction today that ISU would play in the Cheez-It Bowl in Orlando, and Iowa would play in the Citrus Bowl in Orlando three days later. God that would be awful to have the mouth breathers everywhere.

(3) Maybe I am wrong, but after the Alamo Bowl dropped the B1G v Big 12 matchup, didn't we go a couple of years with no conference matchups? Am I wrong? Anyway, I see the Guaranteed Rate Bowl in Phoenix is a B1G v Big 12 matchup. No interest in it this year, but if the team takes a step back next year due to extensive player losses, a 7-5 ISU v 7-5 Nebby matchup in 2022 in Phoenix would be fun. Love to beat them down.

(4) I guess way too early to speculate about new bowl tie-ins due to realighnment. I understand why the bowls want a conference partner, but it sure would be nice to let it all go to a "draft" situation that the bowls get to select from an at-large pool. Our travel reputation would ensure some nice locations even in down years.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
(3) Maybe I am wrong, but after the Alamo Bowl dropped the B1G v Big 12 matchup, didn't we go a couple of years with no conference matchups? Am I wrong?

Alamo Bowl has been Big 12 vs. Pac-12 since 2010. Every game since then has involved those two conferences.

Big 12's pecking order is:

1. Sugar (vs. SEC, New Orleans - Saints stadium)
2. Alamo (Pac-12, San Antonio - Alamodome)
3. Cheez-It (ACC, Orlando - Camping World Stadium)
4. Texas (SEC, Houston - Texans stadium)
5. Liberty (SEC, Memphis)
6. Guaranteed Rate (Big Ten, Phoenix - Diamondbacks stadium)

The Sugar is required to take the winner of the Big 12 championship game, unless that team makes the CFP, in which case the Sugar is required to take the loser of the Big 12 CCG - there is no room for discretion or for the Sugar to make its own choice.

Armed Forces (American/C-USA, Fort Worth - TCU stadium) and First Responder (ACC/American/C-USA, Dallas - SMU stadium) are flex bowls that I understand are required to take a Big 12 team every now and then and would do so when the Big 12 has too many bowl eligible teams.

Iowa State has actually played in all of these bowls or their predecessors in the last 20 or so years, other than the Sugar Bowl:

*Alamo Bowl vs. Washington State
*Cheez-It Bowl vs. Notre Dame when it was Camping World Bowl
*Texas Bowl vs. TCU in 2005 when it was Houston Bowl
*Liberty Bowls vs. Memphis and Tulsa
*Guaranteed Rate Bowl vs. Pitt in 2000 when it was Insight.com Bowl

psychlones

Jun 13, 2006
Ames, IA
Alamo Bowl has been Big 12 vs. Pac-12 since 2010. Every game since then has involved those two conferences.

The Sugar is required to take the winner of the Big 12 championship game, unless that team makes the CFP, in which case the Sugar is required to take the loser of the Big 12 CCG - there is no room for discretion or for the Sugar to make its own choice.

Armed Forces (American/C-USA, Fort Worth - TCU stadium) and First Responder (ACC/American/C-USA, Dallas - SMU stadium) are flex bowls that I understand are required to take a Big 12 team every now and then and would do so when the Big 12 has too many bowl eligible teams.

Iowa State has actually played in all of these bowls or their predecessors in the last 20 or so years, other than the Sugar Bowl:

We also beat Minnesota in the Insight bowl, right? Seems like Arizona bowl games have been good to us...

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
We also best Minnesota in the Insight bowl, right? Seems like Arizona bowl games have been good to us...

Right, that was the Insight Bowl, although by that point the Insight Bowl had moved to Tempe at Arizona State's stadium. The Guaranteed Rate Bowl is the spiritual successor of the earlier Insight.com bowl as they are both played in the Diamondbacks' baseball stadium.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I think a “draft” deal for bowls would be fun. Could even be a televised event. Make it a “snake” draft where the bowl in the first position gets to pick one team, then the other bowls pick one team at a time, and that first bowl chooses their second team last.

That is a truly, truly, awful idea. Imagine how many insanely lopsided match-ups there would be.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
That is a truly truly awful idea. Imagine how many insanely lopsided match-ups there would be.

Gotta agree. This would end up with something like 11-2 Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl against 6-6 North Texas. Never happen.

Prob the best you could hope for is the better bowls have one conference partner as an anchor tenant, but then are not locked in to a second conference partner and could choose at-large.

Reactions: Jer

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I think a “draft” deal for bowls would be fun. Could even be a televised event. Make it a “snake” draft where the bowl in the first position gets to pick one team, then the other bowls pick one team at a time, and that first bowl chooses their second team last.

I don’t see how that would work, at all.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007

So, just Sugar to fill out the Big Xii Bowl Bingo Card!

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Semi-hot take: I absolutely want to go to the Sugar. No question. But New Orleans is one of the most overrated tourist towns ever. It’s awful and unless ISU plays there you could not pay me enough to go back to that craphole.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Semi-hot take: I absolutely want to go to the Sugar. No question. But New Orleans is one of the most overrated tourist towns ever. It’s awful and unless ISU plays there you could not pay me enough to go back to that craphole.

This is just an insanely incorrect take. New Orleans is amazing and an American treasure. I've had some of the best weekends of my life in New Orleans, and it had nothing to do with Bourbon St.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Just some random stuff:

(1) Just saw today there is yet another new Bowl Game, the Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl Game. wat? Seriously, Jimmy Kimmel? While the date is not great (12/18), it gets played in beautiful new SoFi stadium. Pac 12 v MWC. Why can't Bowlsby get us a nice spot like this?

(2) Ugh, saw a horrible prediction today that ISU would play in the Cheez-It Bowl in Orlando, and Iowa would play in the Citrus Bowl in Orlando three days later. God that would be awful to have the mouth breathers everywhere.

(3) Maybe I am wrong, but after the Alamo Bowl dropped the B1G v Big 12 matchup, didn't we go a couple of years with no conference matchups? Am I wrong? Anyway, I see the Guaranteed Rate Bowl in Phoenix is a B1G v Big 12 matchup. No interest in it this year, but if the team takes a step back next year due to extensive player losses, a 7-5 ISU v 7-5 Nebby matchup in 2022 in Phoenix would be fun. Love to beat them down.

(4) I guess way too early to speculate about new bowl tie-ins due to realighnment. I understand why the bowls want a conference partner, but it sure would be nice to let it all go to a "draft" situation that the bowls get to select from an at-large pool. Our travel reputation would ensure some nice locations even in down years.
At least I now know where the Guaranteed Rate Bowl is played!

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I'd go to the Sugar and Alamo. I don't know if I'm down for Orlando, and definitely would pass on anything lower than that.

Reactions: cyclonepower

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron