Bowlsby goes on the record with UT/OU and the Big12

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Texas was all about a combination of ego and fear.

Ego in that they shouldn't be in this inferior conference, they should be with the big boys in the SEC.

Fear in that they thought they were not doing great with the top money, what if the SEC now makes more? And what about NIL? SEC will take all our best recruits!

Bowlsby is 1 million percent correct about Texas's FB problems. It ain't money, it ain't recruiting, and it ain't playing Kansas instead of Vandy. It's about getting the right coach. What they need is a mirror to sort it out.

good luck being Ole' Miss in the SEC

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I don't understand why Texas and Oklahoma can't just admit this is about money. I mean, that's what it is. And honestly, there's nothing really wrong with that. I mean, you'd hope that there would be some loyalty to the conference, but coming out and saying "We are sad to leave, but we believe that the SEC gives us a better chance at long term prosperity and success."

Now, people can argue with whether or not they actually will be more successful, but at least it's a reason we can all understand. And you don't have to do a whole lot of research to know that the SEC makes more money than the Big12.

One of my biggest issues with modern college sports is that some groups just refuse to acknowledge the importance of money. I realize that it's tied up in the whole "amateurism" discussion, but clearly maximizing money is a major motivator in college sports.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

Ego in that they shouldn't be in this inferior conference, they should be with the big boys in the SEC.

Fear in that they thought they were not doing great with the top money, what if the SEC now makes more? And what about NIL? SEC will take all our best recruits!

Bowlsby is 1 million percent correct about Texas's FB problems. It ain't money, it ain't recruiting, and it ain't playing Kansas instead of Vandy. It's about getting the right coach. What they need is a mirror to sort it out.

I'm wondering if there is a "right coach" for Texas. They have every advantage a program could possibly have, but they have a fan base that has unrealistic expectations, wealthy alumni sticking their noses into the department, and have consistently underachieved even with superior talent.

I love how media is taking Bowlsby's statement as another chance to slam the Big 8 and new Big 12.
If Big 12 2.0 did anything wrong it was losing the narrative. Letting the media paint this league as second rate.

Well **** Texas and **** Oklahoma while we're at it.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I don't think the SEC gives them a better chance at success. It definitely gives them more money.

The most irritating thing is why are Texas and OU the only non-SEC blue bloods that think this way? Clemson, USC, Ohio State, Michigan, etc all could make more money by creating Prestige Worldwide, but they're all completely fine being Sugar Daddys.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I don't understand why Texas and Oklahoma can't just admit this is about money. I mean, that's what it is. And honestly, there's nothing really wrong with that. I mean, you'd hope that there would be some loyalty to the conference, but coming out and saying "We are sad to leave, but we believe that the SEC gives us a better chance at long term prosperity and success."

Now, people can argue with whether or not they actually will be more successful, but at least it's a reason we can all understand. And you don't have to do a whole lot of research to know that the SEC makes more money than the Big12.

One of my biggest issues with modern college sports is that some groups just refuse to acknowledge the importance of money. I realize that it's tied up in the whole "amateurism" discussion, but clearly maximizing money is a major motivator in college sports.

I disagree to an extent. For OU it is about money. For UT it’s more than just money - it’s their ego that can’t admit they don’t own this conference with all the money they already make. I’m not saying money doesn’t play into it for UT, I’m just saying it can’t be easy having all that money and still being about the 5th most relevant team in your own state.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I disagree to an extent. For OU it is about money. For UT it’s more than just money - it’s their ego that can’t admit they don’t own this conference with all the money they already make. I’m not saying money doesn’t play into it for UT, I’m just saying it can’t be easy having all that money and still being about the 5th most relevant team in your own state.
I'm not saying that there isn't more to their leaving besides money. Shoot, for all we know there's some deep seated resentment resulted from some slight we know nothing about.

I'm just saying that from a PR standpoint, coming out and stating "money" as a reason for leaving is better than saying nothing at all. Not everyone is going to like it, but it's at least something that people understand.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I'm not saying that there isn't more to their leaving besides money. Shoot, for all we know there's some deep seated resentment resulted from some slight we know nothing about.

I'm just saying that from a PR standpoint, coming out and stating "money" as a reason for leaving is better than saying nothing at all. Not everyone is going to like it, but it's at least something that people understand.
Which is why Bowlsby calling them delusional hits my trash-talking g-spot.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I'm wondering if there is a "right coach" for Texas. They have every advantage a program could possibly have, but they have a fan base that has unrealistic expectations, wealthy alumni sticking their noses into the department, and have consistently underachieved even with superior talent.

I love how media is taking Bowlsby's statement as another chance to slam the Big 8 and new Big 12.
If Big 12 2.0 did anything wrong it was losing the narrative. Letting the media paint this league as second rate.

Well **** Texas and **** Oklahoma while we're at it.
It's a mistake for Big 12 fans to be joining in the "they are going to get smoked in the SEC" narrative. They aren't going to be playing meat grinder schedules. It's going to be a few really good teams, a bunch of weak ass non-con and a bunch of bottom feeders in the SEC.

Gary Pinkel was in the Big 12 for 11 years. He finished 7-1 in the Big 12 one time.

Gary Pinkel was in the SEC 4 years. He finished 7-1 in the SEC twice.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

If there is some resentment then the issue should've been brought to light and discussed. The Big 8 would've jumped through hoops to keep the league together.

But instead these schools played both sides of the fence and stabbed the Big 8 in the back.... without even giving a reason.

To paraphrase the great Dusty Rhodes...

I don't have say a whole lot more about the way I feel about Texas and Oklahoma. No honor. There's no honor amongst thieves in the first place.

They put hard times on the Big 8

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
My favorite quotes...

“They’re (Texas) thinking they’re going to recruit better and they’re going to get more money,” Bowlsby said. “Anybody that thinks Texas’ football problems have been a result of league affiliation are completely delusional.”

and,

Texas fans have long complained about the home schedule. For example, few fans are excited about Kansas coming to Royal-Memorial Stadium on Nov. 13. “Well, here comes Vanderbilt,” Bowlsby said. “Every league is structured similarly to what ours is. There’s three or four bell cows and there’s the rest.”

I would actually argue that from a parity standpoint the Big 12 has the best potential home schedule year in and year out.

Reactions: Carlisle Clone

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
The bolded was the key part of this move. The plan was for the CFP to expand and allowing conferences no limits on the teams to get in. As we see in the polls, Several SEC teams are routinely ranked in the top 10, thus giving them more playoff spots, and therefore, a larger disproportionate pot of the CFB money.

And now that the SEC has grown so big, I can't wait to see how unfairly the scheduling is done. The top teams will avoid each other like the plague during the regular season so they can all stay top heavy and highly ranked.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Texas wasn't going to get to keep LHN even had they stayed in the Big 12. ESPN regretted that decision within 2 years of making it, and it wasn't going to be renewed.

They would have kept it but the next contract with ESPN wasn't going to be nearly as lucrative.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
If there is some resentment then the issue should've been brought to light and discussed. The Big 8 would've jumped through hoops to keep the league together.

But instead these schools played both sides of the fence and stabbed the Big 8 in the back.... without even giving a reason.

To paraphrase the great Dusty Rhodes...

I don't have say a whole lot more about the way I feel about Texas and Oklahoma. No honor. There's no honor amongst thieves in the first place.

They put hard times on the Big 8
Coulda shoulda woulda. We all know that relationships can sour and what "should have" happened doesn't always happen.
The fact remains that the conference exists at the will and pleasure of the members. If a school decides they don't want to re-up after the contract expires, that's their right. And that's all that really has happened so far. As Iowa State fans, we need to be prepared for the likelihood that we will not get our pound of flesh out of this. Texas/Oklahoma will stay until the GOR is up, or they will negotiate a buyout and leave sooner. And that's pretty much the best we can hope for. They're going to move on and keep making big money. We need to move on too. There's not going to be a lawsuit against them, and probably not against ESPN either. It sucks to be jilted, but it is what it is.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
It's a mistake for Big 12 fans to be joining in the "they are going to get smoked in the SEC" narrative. They aren't going to be playing meat grinder schedules. It's going to be a few really good teams, a bunch of weak ass non-con and a bunch of bottom feeders in the SEC.

Gary Pinkel was in the Big 12 for 11 years. He finished 7-1 in the Big 12 one time.

Gary Pinkel was in the SEC 4 years. He finished 7-1 in the SEC twice.
Pinkel had the athletes much like Pelini in the B1G and had new success. Pinkel also got Butch Jones at Tenn, the Muschamp Gators, the end of the line Mark Richt at Georgia and Spurrier at SC. Granted they still won but it was the perfect time to join for them.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

IMO the money and recruiting are 90% of the problem at Texas but not because they don't have enough and aren't getting highly rated kids. The elitist's attitude of the Texas athletic department is poison. It has created a culture of entitlement and that has trickled down into several of their programs but has probably impacted football the hardest. When you couple this "never want for anything" football program culture with how these football players are treated as high schoolers and it's a recipe for disaster. Texas is not a right head coach hire away from turning the corner. Until the athletic dept takes a hard look in the mirror this same underachieving cycle will continue to maintain mediocracy.

Last edited:

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Watching how this as all played out. And obviously we don't know where the next contract goes, but if the Amazon's of the world jump in. I wonder if OU is has a tiny (I mean very tiny) piece of their brain saying, **** we ****** up. If OU tells UT to take a hike, they are on easy street to the playoff every other year at least.

Ultimately I think both UT and OU moved and will regret it, but they will bath in the their money and be fake happy.

I wish Mizzou and Arkansas would realize they are better off in the B12 than the SEC and move over. Sure their payout might go down, but they would be way more competitive in all sports and be with more like minded universities. It will never happen.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Coulda shoulda woulda. We all know that relationships can sour and what "should have" happened doesn't always happen.
The fact remains that the conference exists at the will and pleasure of the members. If a school decides they don't want to re-up after the contract expires, that's their right. And that's all that really has happened so far. As Iowa State fans, we need to be prepared for the likelihood that we will not get our pound of flesh out of this. Texas/Oklahoma will stay until the GOR is up, or they will negotiate a buyout and leave sooner. And that's pretty much the best we can hope for. They're going to move on and keep making big money. We need to move on too. There's not going to be a lawsuit against them, and probably not against ESPN either. It sucks to be jilted, but it is what it is.
But what Bowlsby’s comments do indicate is that he most definitely has a smoking gun that allows him to keep there balls to bandsaw as long as he can. You don’t say some of those things without knowing you have ammo to use if you need to. Yep, we are getting left, dumped, whatever. But they will need to pay up and the rest of the hateful 8 have no reason to play nice and Bowlsby seems to make it apparent that we won’t have to.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I don't think the SEC gives them a better chance at success. It definitely gives them more money.

The most irritating thing is why are Texas and OU the only non-SEC blue bloods that think this way? Clemson, USC, Ohio State, Michigan, etc all could make more money by creating Prestige Worldwide, but they're all completely fine being Sugar Daddys.

IMO it all starts with Texas measuring d!cks with A&M and OU is just along for the ride. Texas can't stand that A&M is making more money than them and it's really pathetic. I do think OU will be fine in the SEC but Texas is going to get their mud holes stomped in.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
But what Bowlsby’s comments do indicate is that he most definitely has a smoking gun that allows him to keep there balls to bandsaw as long as he can. You don’t say some of those things without knowing you have ammo to use if you need to. Yep, we are getting left, dumped, whatever. But they will need to pay up and the rest of the hateful 8 have no reason to play nice and Bowlsby seems to make it apparent that we won’t have to.
I don't know that it's anything so dramatic as some secret incriminating piece of evidence. His leverage comes from the fact that the conference didn't implode, meaning the GOR is still very much in effect. And it's something that definitely didn't go according to the plan that Texas/OU were implementing. That's all he needs to keep a smile on his face through this. So long as the GOR exists, they can't leave without paying through the nose. We'll see what their tolerance is after this season, but that's the real ace that Bowlsby is holding.

Last edited: