Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
What are your guys go to recipes/methods for pork loin? I feel like I need to step up my game with this cut.

I'd consider smoking it at a slightly higher temp for a shorter amount of time. Since it's such a lean cut I'd think the longer it's on heat the higher the chance for it to dry out. But I've never done one so I could be wrong.

Reactions: JM4CY

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
That's impressive for any attempt, much less a first. Nice work.
Is that a knife?? Did you get blisters? (kidding) Nice job. Looks awesome. I take frozen leftovers and make chopped brisket gravy over potatoes. That is what we are eating tonight. Brisket, the gift that keeps on giving.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I'd consider smoking it at a slightly higher temp for a shorter amount of time. Since it's such a lean cut I'd think the longer it's on heat the higher the chance for it to dry out. But I've never done one so I could be wrong.
I’ve thought about injecting it with apple juice to counter the drying of it. Dry pork loin is ******* terrible

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Not long. I think it was less than 2 hours total from when I initially put them on until the time I pulled them. So maybe 10-15 minutes? Those were right before kick of the Iowa game so my timing is a wee bit blurry. Wings are forgiving. I think I pulled them around 180-185.
You inspired me sir. I’m doing these Saturday for the Baylor game.

Reactions: AgronAlum

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
What are your guys go to recipes/methods for pork loin? I feel like I need to step up my game with this cut.

I don't have specific experience or recommendations, but here are some recipes for smoking a whole pork loin. I have one in my freezer that I need to smoke at some point, and I'm leaning towards something along the lines of the "stuffed" pork loins in this list.

Pork Loin

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Smoke at 250 for about an hour and a half and then cranked them up to 450 until the skin got crispy.

This is the seasoning I used and while they definitely had some heat, the seasoning was great. I picked it up from Hawgeyes. Did some with no sauce, some Buffalo andsome garlic parm.

So you applied the seasoning before putting them on the smoker, almost like a dry rub but probably a lighter coating? When did you apply the sauce to the ones you sauced?

I've never smoked wings but it sounds amazing. Gonna give that a shot this weekend or next.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
So you applied the seasoning before putting them on the smoker, almost like a dry rub but probably a lighter coating? When did you apply the sauce to the ones you sauced?

I've never smoked wings but it sounds amazing. Gonna give that a shot this weekend or next.

Yep, I dried them and patted them down with the rub posted above before throwing them on the smoker. I used it more like a seasoning then a full coating like a traditional rub.

I tossed them in some room temperature sauce after I pulled them. They were the perfect temp to just grab and bite.

Post a follow up with how it went.

Reactions: cstrunk and Gonzo

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
I don't have specific experience or recommendations, but here are some recipes for smoking a whole pork loin. I have one in my freezer that I need to smoke at some point, and I'm leaning towards something along the lines of the "stuffed" pork loins in this list.

Pork Loin

I did a mushroom/garlic/gouda stuffed loin wrapped with bacon not too long ago. It was pretty damn good!

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
I did a mushroom/garlic/gouda stuffed loin wrapped with bacon not too long ago. It was pretty damn good!

omg that sounds amazing

I have given little thought to what ingredients I want to use, but this is right up my alley. Gouda might be too smoky for my family but if I switch that out to Jack or something I might have a winner.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I smoked some mozz, gouda, pepper jack and cheddar last weekend. I’m hoping it turned out because it was my first shot at cheese. I wasn’t terribly impressed with the quality of smoke off the smoke tube I bought so we’ll see I guess. It was pretty billowy and white but I couldn’t get anything else. Sucks you have vac pack it and wait at least two weeks to try it.

Pizza with a sprinkle of smoked cheese cooked on the pellet grill is the ultimate goal.

Reactions: Tri4Cy and cstrunk

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I smoked some mozz, gouda, pepper jack and cheddar last weekend. I’m hoping it turned out because it was my first shot at cheese. I wasn’t terribly impressed with the quality of smoke off the smoke tube I bought so we’ll see I guess. It was pretty billowy and white but I couldn’t get anything else. Sucks you have vac pack it and wait at least two weeks to try it.

Pizza with a sprinkle of smoked cheese cooked on the pellet grill is the ultimate goal.
What’s the key to cold smoking cheese? I haven’t done that yet

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Right. Is there a target hour number? I suppose it depends on your taste and maybe the kind of cheese

Yeah, I just used a 12 dollar smoke tube from Amazon and some apple pellets. I left it on for 1.5 hours.

Everything I read says you have to vacuum pack it and refrigerate it for at least two weeks for the ashy taste to disappear.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines

Smoked gouda is probably my favorite cheese out there. I love to eat it with a slice of fuji apple and soppresata. YUM.

I bought a vacuum sealer here a few weeks ago to attempt my own dehydrated camp meals but also wanted to try out some smoked cheeses this fall/winter once the temps drop.

I dipped my toe into the "pellet" world by purchasing an Unni pizza oven a couple years ago. As someone who loves pizza...omg it's amazing. That bit of smoke from a wood fired oven is the ****. Plus it's great cranking out pizza's in under a minute with a 900+ degree oven.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron