Report: OU & Texas reach out to join SEC

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Latest figures has Texas at $150 million, the number one program in revenues. Alabama is at $94 million, way down the list.
Would the SEC permit Texas to continue the LHN?
LHN is turned into the SEC West Network.

Texas also has to agree to stop claiming that they would have beaten Alabama in the Jan. 2010 BCS Championship Game "If Colt wouldn't have gotten hurt."

Just sayin'.

/ sarcasm

Reactions: frackincygy

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
with the value estimates, people keep using current B12 payouts. Those were negotiated 10 or so years ago. It’s possible that the B12 leftovers could pull close to that in a new deal which would be about half of the projections of the new SEC and big 10. While leaving us behind, it’s not a killer.

This is my last preference, but just pointing out that it may not be the disaster some think.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
These moves have to finally be what gets Notre Dame to join a conference.
Probably planning it all along. It would certainly explain why they were just fine being left out as an option for a first round buy in the expanded playoff.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

MustardTiger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2019
The Dirty Burger
Ken and Trent are idiots.
Ken and Trent are the perfect example of Hawkeye fans. Can be civil and have a good conversation when things are status quo. But when something happens and it starts to look like something bad is going to happen to Iowa State (Hoiberg leaving, Conference Realign, etc) they are like ******* lions to the kill. They eat bad news about iowa state up and they love it. And its all they want to talk about.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: Neptune78 and 67CY

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Well, see, 8-4 in the SEC, the greatest conference in the land, is equivalent to 1 or 2 losses in a lesser conference because of the supreme nature of the competition even if one of the losses is to Vanderbilt which is excusable because it's hard to stay focused all the time in the greatest conference in the land and sometimes great teams overlook certain opponents who just happen to be in the greatest conference in the land so a loss like that really doesn't matter or even count, so it's like 3 losses which is like going undefeated in any other conference when you're playing in the greatest conference in the land.
so basically they start the season at -2 losses and the first 2 dont count. got it.

Reactions: CycloneErik

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Ken and Trent are the perfect example of Hawkeye fans. Can be civil and have a good conversation when things are status quo. But when something happens and it starts to look like something bad is going to happen to Iowa State (Hoiberg leaving, Conference Realign, etc) they are like ******* lions to the kill. They eat bad news about iowa state up and they love it. And its all they want to talk about.

Yeah, I had the misfortune of listening the other day. Feigned concern, while speculating about the worst possible options.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Agreed

It sucks that college sports over the past decade-plus has chosen to give up what makes it special. I’m not talking about amateurism — the fact that players can now make money is long overdue. I’m talking about the regional flair, the communities, the charm and the history. There’s a connection with alumni and your opponent. The vast majority of us care more about our rivals and goofy trophies than we do who wins the national title.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I guess the 12 team playoff will have at large spots. It's a total joke if they include spots for current group of 5 conference teams and Notre Dame can use one of those.

If memory serves, Notre Dame is considered a Power League team in the new format but is not eligible to get a Top 4 seed because they aren't in a conference.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Agreed

It sucks that college sports over the past decade-plus has chosen to give up what makes it special. I’m not talking about amateurism — the fact that players can now make money is long overdue. I’m talking about the regional flair, the communities, the charm and the history. There’s a connection with alumni and your opponent. The vast majority of us care more about our rivals and goofy trophies than we do who wins the national title.

You've obviously never been to a Nebraska-Rutgers game in Piscataway on a Tuesday night in early January. Magic.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Well, see, 8-4 in the SEC, the greatest conference in the land, is equivalent to 1 or 2 losses in a lesser conference because of the supreme nature of the competition even if one of the losses is to Vanderbilt which is excusable because it's hard to stay focused all the time in the greatest conference in the land and sometimes great teams overlook certain opponents who just happen to be in the greatest conference in the land so a loss like that really doesn't matter or even count, so it's like 3 losses which is like going undefeated in any other conference when you're playing in the greatest conference in the land.
This paraphrases exactly the type of people we are. We are merely byproducts of marketing. Bluebloods are built from 'winning', but persevere due to 'marketing'. Take winning away long enough and they're no longer elite. Did people tune in to watch Texas vs ISU in football last year as Texas fans, Iowa State fans, or fans wanting the perennial underdog to beat Texas? I would argue more towards the 3rd category. With the new paradigm of content distribution, I'm hoping the category of 'Blue bloods' lives or dies with their 'success'.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Anyone a bit surprised that the meeting yesterday only involved Bolwsby, TT and BU... I would think that should have had had representation from all 8. Unless Jamie and the other 5 schools already may have plans w/o UT/OU. *speculation

No, because that's the league's Executive Committee.

"The Executive Committee shall be comprised of the Chair of the Board, the Secretary/Treasurer and any Vice-Chair of the Board ... elected as an officer of the Conference."

*The Texas Tech prez is the Chair of the Board.
*The Baylor prez is Vice-Chair.
*The OU prez is Secretary/Treasurer, so he's not included.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
If the only other feasible option is dropping down to the American, could you blame us? B1G and PAC don’t have to expand at all if they don’t think we add value. This is best remaining option at that point. It’s a terrible option but it’s the best one of a bunch of terrible ones.
Right now the focus is on conferences, but this is really about getting down from a P5 with 65 teams (with ND) to 2-3 conferences with 30-40 teams.

It's a win/win for ESPN/FOX and the Texas, Ohio State, Bama, Clemson, OU's of college football.

It also shuts up G5 conferences who currently get 20% of the playoff money and seem on the verge of getting 1 or 2 teams (and that money) when the playoff expands to 12 teams. By adding another 20-30 former P5 teams between the P2/3 and G5, the CFB Playoff spots and $ will disappear for G5 schools.

I don't think ISU would ever end up in AAC because teams like Syracuse, BC, Louisville, VA Tech, etc could be looking for a conference home when it is all finished.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
No one is really talking about what it would take to get out of the PAC-12. I don’t think CU is in a great spot right now from a funding standpoint.
Not to mention people here greatly overrate Colorado’s appeal to the Big 10. Too many old Big 8 fans or wishful roadtrip thinking. A team that draws in the 40s for football and 7-8k for MBB isn’t terribly attractive. And people really don’t care about CU sports out there. They would be an OK add, but nothing special now that the value of tagging on to Granny in Denver’s cable package keeps getting diminished.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
But how is Clemson any different than OU or Texas. Is Clemson going to be satisfied making $40-50M a year, when they could be making $90-100M in the SEC or Big10?

Just like the Big12 with OU and Texas, ESPN's deal with the ACC conference is predicated on having Clemson, FL State and UNC as part of the ACC Network. Wake Forest, Duke, Louisville, Boston College can say they have a GOR through 2036- but my guess is ESPN will say the ACC Network contract has materially changed and will want to re-negotiate downward
For now they will be fine with it, the SEC contract with ESPN does not kick in until 2023, until then, the money will not start flooding in. Once it starts, then Clemson and the rest of them will see how the difference gets wider, but for every year they stay, the GOR for the ACC goes down. Those schools in the ACC had time on their side, the Big 12 teams do not.