Report: OU & Texas reach out to join SEC

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
I will be shocked if they really last until 2025. The last line in that press release makes it seem like they're eying leaving as soon as possible

There's a lot of uncertainty in college football right now due to the NIL ruling. The landscape could change dramatically in the next year or two. In that respect, I don't REALLY blame Texas and OU for simply giving notice of "not renewing" their GOR. Now doesn't seem to be a great time to lock yourself in to something if you're Texas and OU.

It's just that Texas (and to a lesser extent OU) have been such a ******* baby in the past.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
ISU may get into the BIG or PAC but there's going to be a whole lot of others options explored first. It appears to be a long bumpy ride ahead.
Could you expound on this? I get that we may be talking about going from P4 to P2 but wouldn't that mean we would need to be going to the B1G with Pac schools? Seem to me the options are: get into a power league or get left behind. What am I missing (serious question)?

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I really don't understand this for either team. Seems like they should have pushed for Big 12 to raid Pac 12 to expand rather than go to the SEC. OU is used to dominating the conference and Texas. well, Texas is just going to continue to be mediocre.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
After a week of this I'm just kind of resigned to being ok with whatever happens. Losing out on the money provided by the existing Big 12 is obviously going to hurt, but we need to find a more tenable long-term solution. I'm over being subject to the whims of UT and their ****** Athletic Department. We will find a new home and eventually settle into our new normal.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I really don't understand this for either team. Seems like they should have pushed for Big 12 to raid Pac 12 to expand rather than go to the SEC. OU is used to dominating the conference and Texas. well, Texas is just going to continue to be mediocre.
$$$$$ and also 8-4 in the SEC will likely have a stronger consideration for the playoff than a 10-2 ACC team or 10-2 Big 10 west team.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
After a week of this I'm just kind of resigned to being ok with whatever happens. Losing out on the money provided by the existing Big 12 is obviously going to hurt, but we need to find a more tenable long-term solution. I'm over being subject to the whims of UT and their ****** Athletic Department. We will find a new home and eventually settle into our new normal.

if it didn’t mean the very real possibility of losing all momentum we’ve had in football, I’d agree with you.

But we are/were so damn close. And I don’t see that sticking unless we can land in the big 10.

• Agree
Reactions: 20eyes and awd4cy

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
There's a lot of uncertainty in college football right now due to the NIL ruling. The landscape could change dramatically in the next year or two. In that respect, I don't REALLY blame Texas and OU for simply giving notice of "not renewing" their GOR. Now doesn't seem to be a great time to lock yourself in to something if you're Texas and OU.

It's just that Texas (and to a lesser extent OU) have been such a ******* baby in the past.

Don't take the statement at face value; it said what it needed to say for legal reasons. UT and OU are moving full speed ahead toward the SEC, and the reports are out there that SEC presidents could vote as early as August to admit those universities effective in 2025.

20eyes

May 15, 2020

I'm with you BUT I want "similar" revenue and similar / same competition...and I've got a bad feeling about our ability to keep that up...I don't want us to fall off a cliff...

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
$$$$$ and also 8-4 in the SEC will likely have a stronger consideration for the playoff than a 10-2 ACC team or 10-2 Big 10 west team.
At 12 teams, 10-2 in any power conference is getting a playoff birth.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
why? a team that has lost 4 times is obviously not the best team in the country and viable for the national champ.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
if it didn’t mean the very real possibility of losing all momentum we’ve had in football, I’d agree with you.

But we are/were so damn close. And I don’t see that sticking unless we can land in the big 10.

Expanding the playoff certainly helps ease my concerns there. With 16 teams potentially making the playoff, you will have several non-SEC/Mega Conference teams that get a shot.

I also just figure this is the beginning. There are going to be dozens and dozens of similarly situated teams looking for a home. These teams aren't just going to disappear. New conferences will form and we will still have a chance at being competitive.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I am pretty bad at reading legalese but the way I read the grant of rights, it says any member is supposed to inform the conference if any party comes to them about anything that could persuade the member to leave the conference. Within 12 hours.

They definitely broke that part.

Section 3.2 line C

Yep, and I'm sure at the meeting that the other 8 schools gave notice so they are covered.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I will be completely shocked if this isn’t their last year in the Big 12. Texas and OU will be playing in the SEC in 2023.
Technically, if I read that bylaws document right,they must wait a minimum of 18 months and it must be on June 30th so earliest is June 30th 2023. Unless they just dissolve the Big 12 which I bet OU and Texas are hoping

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'm with you BUT I want the same revenue and similar / same competition...and I've got a bad feeling about our ability to keep that up...

I don't disagree, but I do think there's an element of "pulling off the band-aid" to this. The Big 12 stuck together but was always been on shaky ground. This has felt somewhat inevitable. So let's get into something that will last long term and realize we may have to take a few lumps along the way.

Also, as for revenue and spending, if you are a mid-level team at any other big conference how great are you feeling about your future revenue?

Last edited:

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
I will be completely shocked if this isn’t their last year in the Big 12. Texas and OU will be playing in the SEC in 2023.

Honestly....good riddance. This move isn't magically removing the dysfunction at Texas, and I would guess that Lincoln Riley has a big decision coming up regarding an NFL move while his stock is high.

Certainly feel fortunate to have the AD and head coaches in the major sports to lead us through this.