Iowa Beers Release/Distribution Thread

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
Forager makes some crazy beers. The head brewer at Lua cut his teeth there.
I didn't realize they were canning on that big of a scale, other half has some great beers, i've never been that impressed with sweetwater's offerings.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
Not sure if this thread (below) caught on last year, but yeah... maybe a thread per month. I know that Iowa Brewing in CR has already released a canned version of Stone City's Aaah Bock!. They also have a ... was it cherry and orange(?) sour that they placed on tap this past week. I think it would be exciting to see what different area breweries had available as NEW or revived seasonal offerings over the year!

Perhaps this already exists but I haven't seen it. I think it'd be helpful for the beer enthusiast community here at CF to keep a running thread of when local beer releases are happening, as well as when/where the releases are distributed. Kind of a continuous thread to keep us all in the loop and help each other find great beer.

A couple currently:

-Big Grove's Big Ed hit DSM metro stores this week. As of this morning, Ankeny Prairie Trail Hy vee had about 20 four-packs for $14.99. Big Ed may be the very best NEIPA made in Iowa.
-Big Grove Colorado Smuggler is getting released at the brewery this week, and should be in the metro around this time next week. IMO, this is the second best NEIPA that BG makes.
-There are still four packs of Founders KBS Mackinac Fudge floating around. Not an Iowa brew but I know one that has had alot of hype (and its very very tasty). Huxley Fareway is a little honey hole for it. 4-5 four packs left for $19.99
-Confluence DDH Des Moines IPA dry hopped with Cashmere and Nelson Sauvin is all over the state right now. Don't sleep on these; and stellar deal for $10.99.
-TG Hopsmack is in the metro if you still get excited about TG IPA's (IMO they've been surpassed by a few other local breweries). There was plenty at North Ankeny Hyvee this morning.
-North Ankeny HyVee also has a few bottles left of Surly Darkness 2020. I'd assume they're floating around most of the state right now.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Big Blackstack fan here. I'd love to see them, Junkyard and Fair State in Iowa.

While not the cheapest option all three of those breweries are frequently available on Tavour for those that can’t get it. Blackstack is in my list of three breweries on Tavour I pretty much buy every time they are listed (Anchorage and Adroit are the other two). I’ve had 10 different beers from Blackstack this year through Tavour

Shameless plug if you don’t use Tavour and want a referral code PM me

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
Forager makes some crazy beers. The head brewer at Lua cut his teeth there.
While not the cheapest option all three of those breweries are frequently available on Tavour for those that can’t get it. Blackstack is in my list of three breweries on Tavour I pretty much buy every time they are listed (Anchorage and Adroit are the other two). I’ve had 10 different beers from Blackstack this year through Tavour

Shameless plug if you don’t use Tavour and want a referral code PM me
Hahaha I have a good friend that gets Tavour so I'm familiar. I also really like Adroit's stouts. The selection is really impressive, I'm just too cheap for that. I'm not far from Illinois or Wisconsin which is nice for different selections when I want to splurge.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
4 heavy hitters are coming to Iowa in the next few weeks.

Untitled Art-According to my wife, pretty much the best seltzers made. I'm taking a trip to Madison in a few weeks and plan on visiting.
Modist-I've only had one from them but it was solid
Fair State-Pretty good overall. I've had mirror universe and BBRR, which were decent.
WELDWERKS!-This is the big dog that I've been waiting for. On our way to Yellowstone last year had a bunch of Weldwerks and everything I had was top notch.

discydisc

Jan 14, 2014
Ames

Untitled Art-According to my wife, pretty much the best seltzers made. I'm taking a trip to Madison in a few weeks and plan on visiting.
Fair State-Pretty good overall. I've had mirror universe and BBRR, which were decent.
WELDWERKS!-This is the big dog that I've been waiting for. On our way to Yellowstone last year had a bunch of Weldwerks and everything I had was top notch.
Oh snap! Weldwerks is something I will actually seek out. For what its worth it looks like SweetWater actually sent fresh beer (something that other bigger brands have failed to do in the past); I'm sure it will shelf turd in the future so now would be the time to buy if you're curious about them.

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
This might be a long shot and it might not belong in this thread, but has anyone ever seen Shmaltz Brewing beers in the metro? There is supposedly a distributor in Johnston but I've never seen it in stores.

I read a book written by the founder and want to give it a try.

Yes, Maccabee's Kosher Deli in Des Moines will often have Schmaltz beer (I've picked up the Hanukkah and Passover releases there). Unfortunately they couldn't get any this past Hanukkah because of COVID disruptions. I get to Maccabee's one or twice a year so I don't know what they carry outside those two Holidays.

I was in the Ankeny South Hy-Vee a few years back and I asked the Wine and Spirits manager about Schmaltz (He'Brew is really really good btw but at this moment I don't see it listed on their web site) and a distributor rep was there at the time. I don't recall the distributor but I could have gotten some that day. I didn't because the distributor wanted to sell me his entire supply.

I did have some at El Bait Shop a couple of years ago.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclonespiker33

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Yes, Maccabee's Kosher Deli in Des Moines will often have Schmaltz beer (I've picked up the Hanukkah and Passover releases there). Unfortunately they couldn't get any this past Hanukkah because of COVID disruptions. I get to Maccabee's one or twice a year so I don't know what they carry outside those two Holidays.

I was in the Ankeny South Hy-Vee a few years back and I asked the Wine and Spirits manager about Schmaltz (He'Brew is really really good btw but at this moment I don't see it listed on their web site) and a distributor rep was there at the time. I don't recall the distributor but I could have gotten some that day. I didn't because the distributor wanted to sell me his entire supply.

I did have some at El Bait Shop a couple of years ago.
I will definitely have to keep Maccabee's in mind. Maybe I'll give them a call or just walk in someday.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA

I didn't think the day was possible that we'd get Weldwerks here, wow! They are killer for IPAs.

I've only maybe had one UA but yearn for more, they seem to do great at the stouts and IPAs as well.

The other two I'm not familiar with at all.

I just saw this posted by Confluence, limited availability:

1621957538348.png

• Wow
Reactions: cyfanatic

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017

Most Untitled Art products are collabs so it's a mixed bag. The pixie mix seltzers suck but the smoothies seltzers are really good. Good IPAs and stouts too.

I've never been a huge fan of Weldwerks. I've had most of the variations of juicy bits, they're decent. I like their stouts the most.

I've had a few Modists and they were all solid.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
I actually wasn't a huge fan of straight Juicy Bits, but happened to be there for Extra-Extra-DDH Citra Juicy bits, that was straight fire good.

A friend of mine happened to drive out to Colorado a couple months ago and surprised me with a mixed four-pack from Weldwerks. I haven't had a bad one yet. Latest fave was a DIPA called "Zeros and Ones" and it was quite fantastic. There's one in there featuring Strata hops that I'm looking forward to having soon.

Overall I guess what I've learned is that we have nothing to really yearn for here in Iowa. Just among (of course) TG, Confluence, Barn Town, Dimensional, Adventurous to name a few...here are so many amazing local beers right here that getting out-of-state beer is a great treat but not required to have outstanding beer.

I am really enjoying Batch 1387 from Confluence right now, it's wonderful.

discydisc

Jan 14, 2014
Ames
I actually wasn't a huge fan of straight Juicy Bits, but happened to be there for Extra-Extra-DDH Citra Juicy bits, that was straight fire good.

A friend of mine happened to drive out to Colorado a couple months ago and surprised me with a mixed four-pack from Weldwerks. I haven't had a bad one yet. Latest fave was a DIPA called "Zeros and Ones" and it was quite fantastic. There's one in there featuring Strata hops that I'm looking forward to having soon.

Overall I guess what I've learned is that we have nothing to really yearn for here in Iowa. Just among (of course) TG, Confluence, Barn Town, Dimensional, Adventurous to name a few...here are so many amazing local beers right here that getting out-of-state beer is a great treat but not required to have outstanding beer.

I am really enjoying Batch 1387 from Confluence right now, it's wonderful.
Adventurous?
I've been enjoying the one offs and limited releases from Big Grove and Singlespeed. TG is consistently good to great, but their pricing on their DIPAs and limited releases keeps me from buying more often with all the other options around.

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
Adventurous?
I've been enjoying the one offs and limited releases from Big Grove and Singlespeed. TG is consistently good to great, but their pricing on their DIPAs and limited releases keeps me from buying more often with all the other options around.

Adventurous has been amazing from what I've had. Probably the best IPAs in the state based off the few I've been able to find. Their PB&F stout was awesome too.

TG started it all for me and I don't even consider buying their IPAs anymore.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
Adventurous Brewing is what I guess you'd call a nanobrewery in QC. This triple from this past summer was amazing:

1621961771456.png

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
Adventurous has been amazing from what I've had. Probably the best IPAs in the state based off the few I've been able to find. Their PB&F stout was awesome too.

TG started it all for me and I don't even consider buying their IPAs anymore.

I still love King Sue, it's like a gold standard in my book. It's probably all gone now, but their latest release (collab with BlackStack) Safety Porpoises was great. If you see any Imperial Golden Nugget, it's worth a try.

But yeah, otherwise a lot of the TG IPAs often just miss the mark for me. There are so many great options out there for IPAs just in Iowa, you can usually find something a little better.

Mornin' Latte is still killer when you can find it!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron