Cy-Hawk Game This Year: Revenge or Just Shutting Up Their Idiot Fans?

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
I don’t understand Iowa fans making fun of a 4-2 record when Iowa’s record was 6-2 and they beat one team with a winning record. (Wisconsin who also didn’t beat a team with a winning record)

The fact of the matter is that Oregon was a solid team who, when presented with a good opportunity, beat #13 and 5-0 USC in the PAC-12 title game.
They will always grab at straws before giving ISU credit where it's due.

• Agree
Reactions: frackincygy

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
A common narrative about Matt Campbell is his winless record vs Iowa. I will point out that Paul freaking Rhoads who ran an inferior ISU program went 3-4 vs Iowa... so **** happens.

One edge I give Iowa is Ferentz's experience. While schematically the offenses/teams are different, the similarity between Campbell and Ferentz is to burn clock and rely on bend/don't break defense. Campbell has become more confident/comfortable in that approach in recent years. Also helps that ISU finally has a good run blocking unit to combat what is usually a strength Iowa has. I think ISU wins this year. Perhaps close for 2-3 qtrs, but ISU pulls away.

I'm curious to see how the receivers progress in 2021. ISU wasn't very explosive in the air. Partially not needing to be, but would like to see that develop into a bit more dangerous attack.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
A common narrative about Matt Campbell is his winless record vs Iowa. I will point out that Paul freaking Rhoads who ran an inferior ISU program went 3-4 vs Iowa... so **** happens.

One edge I give Iowa is Ferentz's experience. While schematically the offenses/teams are different, the similarity between Campbell and Ferentz is to burn clock and rely on bend/don't break defense. Campbell has become more confident/comfortable in that approach in recent years. Also helps that ISU finally has a good run blocking unit to combat what is usually a strength Iowa has. I think ISU wins this year. Perhaps close for 2-3 qtrs, but ISU pulls away.

I'm curious to see how the receivers progress in 2021. ISU wasn't very explosive in the air. Partially not needing to be, but would like to see that develop into a bit more dangerous attack.

Maybe I'm naive but I've never viewed ISU's defense under MC as bend don't break.

• Agree
Reactions: IASTATE07

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Generally ISU's first half defensive game plan is conservative bend don't break. In most games they come out with a much more attacking mentality in the second half.

When I think bend don't break I think of playing it very straight, taking few risks, limited (if any) blitzing, big cushions on the corners and allowing lots of completions on crosses and underneath routes. I guess I don't remember that being a thing with JH's D but will take your word for it.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
When I think bend don't break I think of playing it very straight, taking few risks, limited (if any) blitzing, big cushions on the corners and allowing lots of completions on crosses and underneath routes. I guess I don't remember that being a thing with JH's D but will take your word for it.
I think we do a hybrid of it. It’s far different as it once was. We’re not as bend but don’t break, but more just a far better defensive team, especially in the red zone.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I don’t understand Iowa fans making fun of a 4-2 record when Iowa’s record was 6-2 and they beat one team with a winning record. (Wisconsin who also didn’t beat a team with a winning record)

The fact of the matter is that Oregon was a solid team who, when presented with a good opportunity, beat #13 and 5-0 USC in the PAC-12 title game.

The Pac12 was a mess and had to cancel a ton of games. That doesn't mean the Ducks as team weren't any good.
Iowa State just beat the **** out of them.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016

That's pretty much exactly what Heacock's defense is in the first half as someone else mentioned. Give up a lot of yards between the 20s and tighten up the windows in the red zone. The personnel is different than Iowa's bend don't break, but there are some similar philosophies. ISU is much more likely to bring the heat in the second half, especially if they sense a QB is having issues.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Iowa fans' obsession with downgrading ISU's 2020 season is pathetic. There are some dumb rivalry arguments where I can understand their perspective, but that one is especially petty and rooted in jealousy and insecurity.

I also see a lot of them talking about our 9-3 as the same as one of their 9-3 regular seasons when in a typical season, ISU was likely a 10-2/11-1 team. Then add the postseason and we're at 11-3/12-2.

• Agree
Reactions: WalkingCY

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
Plus the teams they beat in that six game winning streak were weak. They didn't blow anybody out.

Apparently you've never witnessed the second coming of Jared Goff?! That dude can throw it over a mountain off his back foot.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Iowa fans' obsession with downgrading ISU's 2020 season is pathetic. There are some dumb rivalry arguments where I can understand their perspective, but that one is especially petty and rooted in jealousy and insecurity.

I also see a lot of them talking about our 9-3 as the same as one of their 9-3 regular seasons when in a typical season, ISU was likely a 10-2/11-1 team. Then add the postseason and we're at 11-3/12-2.

Hawks should never talk **** about schedule and conference strength when they almost always skirt tOSU, Michigan, or Penn State, or all three.

Last year's ISU schedule was the equivalent of Iowa beating tOSU during the season and having to play them again in the conference championship which they've never done. And still getting to a NY6 bowl.

They can try to say that tOSU is better than OU, and that's fine but Iowa hasn't played the top 4 or 5 teams in the B1G in one season since they expanded. Not sure if or how much they did before expansion either

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006

Iowa has never won 9 games with a strength of schedule in the top 20 like ISU has.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
That's pretty much exactly what Heacock's defense is in the first half as someone else mentioned. Give up a lot of yards between the 20s and tighten up the windows in the red zone. The personnel is different than Iowa's bend don't break, but there are some similar philosophies. ISU is much more likely to bring the heat in the second half, especially if they sense a QB is having issues.

Yeah, but ISU bringing the heat (at least last year) was subbing in McDonald once teams gave up on the run. They rarely brought LBs or DBs to the pass rush. I don't know if I'd qualify them as bend don't break, but they didn't take a whole lot of risks last year.

The thing about last year's ISU team (and this year should be the same) was that the offense was SO efficient that teams had to show their cards right away and take some risks, because if they didn't, ISU was going to keep scoring and the other team would fall behind.