Online dating experience/advice

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I have gotten this recommendation from a couple of people, but here is my issue. From the time I moved to Dallas I have been running one company or another, or serving on boards. I love business, and that has been my hobby. My other interest is travel. The issues here are, no real hobbies; thus, no place to meet those people. I've considered taking a couple of solo trips to places I enjoy but feel like I'd be a bit of a creeper and I don't really want to end up in a long-distance relationship anyway. But from this I've decided I need to get out locally, and unfortunately that will be a solo effort as well.

So the next question... how do you go out solo and seem creepy? How do you open a conversation when you're sitting at the bar eating alone?

It might be a good idea to take up a hobby or join a group or something. There's a DFW Cyclone Alumni group isn't there? Once we can all get together in public I would suggest joining and going to a game watch. Love of the Cyclones could be something you have in common. Make friends and they can maybe set you up with friends.

No idea how to not seem creepy at a bar by yourself. If you have some good friends I would suggest going out with them. Just have fun with your friends and even if they are married they can be wingmen and be on the lookout for you.

I went out to a few bars with a friend and his girlfriend. Yeah, being third wheel sucked but they can talk you up and be on the lookout for you. We went to a few karaoke nights. At one bar there were a couple ladies hanging out and I volunteered to sing a country song with one of them. It was fun. She and her friend left soon after but I felt like I had accomplished something putting myself out there.

Just find some kind of activity that's social and you can be yourself and seem friendly and approachable.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I have gotten this recommendation from a couple of people, but here is my issue. From the time I moved to Dallas I have been running one company or another, or serving on boards. I love business, and that has been my hobby. My other interest is travel. The issues here are, no real hobbies; thus, no place to meet those people. I've considered taking a couple of solo trips to places I enjoy but feel like I'd be a bit of a creeper and I don't really want to end up in a long-distance relationship anyway. But from this I've decided I need to get out locally, and unfortunately that will be a solo effort as well.

So the next question... how do you go out solo and seem creepy? How do you open a conversation when you're sitting at the bar eating alone?
You get yourself a buddy to accompany you. I would say almost every relationship I ever had, including my now wife, was because I got a nudge from a friend to step up to the plate and put myself out there.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneDaddy

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin

What do you like to do when you travel? Museums? monuments? Bars/restaurants? Turn Dallas/FT worth into a travel destination. It's a massive area and there are always new places to explore and things to do.

I used to go to bars solo all the time. Find a place that features live music you enjoy. It's a built-in activity and beats sitting alone and staring at your phone. If you have a local spot or two that fit your vibe, become a weekend regular. You will meet other regulars and make friends. People are there to socialize and meet others. Just be genuine and go there to actually meet people and not necessarily find a girlfriend.

Its weird right now with COVID but once things are really in the clear things are going to be poppin.

ntxcyclone

Nov 16, 2013
I apologize if this has been covered already but as someone with a lot of experience/success in this area I could write a book about this subject. Here are a few things you need to watch out for while you are exploring online. 1. There are actually hot girls who are into average guys....they are crazy. Tons of hot, crazy chicks online. 2. Girls will use deceptive photos to hide their true appearance. This is a tough one for me Bc I like curves on women, and women will look like a size 14 or 16 in their pics, but will actually be size 26 in person. So beware of chicks that just show face pics.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
True story

My best friend and I both met our wives by playing a game at the bar called “Sorry about My Friend.” One of you gets black out drunk and is sent over to a table of girls with a handful of pick-up lines. The half sober friend swoops in and apologizes for the drunk friend and offers to buy drinks. Looking back, it only worked 2 out of 100 or so times...
Which one was you?

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I apologize if this has been covered already but as someone with a lot of experience/success in this area I could write a book about this subject. Here are a few things you need to watch out for while you are exploring online. 1. There are actually hot girls who are into average guys....they are crazy. Tons of hot, crazy chicks online. 2. Girls will use deceptive photos to hide their true appearance. This is a tough one for me Bc I like curves on women, and women will look like a size 14 or 16 in their pics, but will actually be size 26 in person. So beware of chicks that just show face pics.

Apparently it's a no-no to put in your profile for girls to post more than their head shot. On the plus, I had more girls messaging me. Some said go to hell though.

• Haha
Reactions: cstrunk

chiroclone88

Nov 14, 2006
I'm not a robot
True story

My best friend and I both met our wives by playing a game at the bar called “Sorry about My Friend.” One of you gets black out drunk and is sent over to a table of girls with a handful of pick-up lines. The half sober friend swoops in and apologizes for the drunk friend and offers to buy drinks. Looking back, it only worked 2 out of 100 or so times...
Are you Barney Stinson? Sounds like something straight from his playbook
1621185973927.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: cyclone1209

I@ST1

Dec 15, 2020

Okay, Don Juan...

• Haha
Reactions: Ankency

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
True story

We played something similar- we’d walk up to a table acting like we knew them from a previous encounter, “Rachel! Long time no see!” to start with a bogus story and then the fun really began after apologizing for the mis-identification. My college roommate met his wife this way, at Paddy’s. God we were idiots, but hell it worked lol.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I know a woman who took a photo of her standing behind her daughter, with the daughter sitting at the computer. Apparently the dude thought he was getting a little below average in looks and a little above average in size woman flying out to see him. Instead he got this old woman who is maybe the largest woman I know, missing teeth, and very unattractive, oh yeah.....and somehow married also. I heard her telling this story when she got back from her Florida trip (where the dude dumped her on his relatives) and did my best not to bust a gut. I would have loved to seen the look on the guys face when the old woman in the photo walked off the plane and not the daughter.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
A must watch primer to prepare one's self for the dating world. Priceless insight on the type of women to pursue...AKA the Crazy/Hot Matrix:

• Winner
Reactions: arobb

ISUCyclone06

Oct 31, 2010
Greensboro, NC
I’m a volume guy because it increases your overall chances. Met my wife online About 10 years ago- met several connections through the online dating platforms throughout college and moving to the east coast alone- along with traveling a lot for work. The key is have a short memory their will be bad with the good. Bumble & Tinder weren’t a thing but POF, Match, OKCupid all work.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I’m a volume guy because it increases your overall chances. Met my wife online About 10 years ago- met several connections through the online dating platforms throughout college and moving to the east coast alone- along with traveling a lot for work. The key is have a short memory their will be bad with the good. Bumble & Tinder weren’t a thing but POF, Match, OKCupid all work.
Do you like volume with your women also?

cy4life94

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2012
Cedar Rapids
Do you like volume with your women also?

Yep, that checks out.