State of ISU MBB if we had hired Otz instead of Prohm?

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
I think Otz is going to be a much better coach for us than we expected him to be. A lot of people were hesitant about him, perhaps very legitimately so, based on his performance at UNLV this past season, but he has done some really awesome recruiting in a very, very short time.

Anyway, I would like to see some musings on what would have happened the past few years if we had hired him instead of Steve Prohm back in 2015. I think he might not have done quite as well as CSP that first conference season, but would have advanced much, much further in the NCAA tournament. I think the adjustment from Hoiberg to Otz would have taken a bit longer for the players, but would have born fruit by the end of the season. For the subsequent years, I think we might not have had quite as many road wins as CSP had, but all those really awful losses at home would NOT have happened. And, of course, this years egg-laying would not have happened.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
I think Otz is going to be a much better coach for us than we expected him to be. A lot of people were hesitant about him, perhaps very legitimately so, based on his performance at UNLV this past season, but he has done some really awesome recruiting in a very, very short time.

Anyway, I would like to see some musings on what would have happened the past few years if we had hired him instead of Steve Prohm back in 2015. I think he might not have done quite as well as CSP that first conference season, but would have advanced much, much further in the NCAA tournament. I think the adjustment from Hoiberg to Otz would have taken a bit longer for the players, but would have born fruit by the end of the season. For the subsequent years, I think we might not have had quite as many road wins as CSP had, but all those really awful losses at home would NOT have happened. And, of course, this years egg-laying would not have happened.
Better than Prohm, by far. Steven Leath should be horsewhipped. We wasted the biggest momentum we ever had. Sickening.

NDMARTIN2015

Jun 7, 2018
Des Moines
taking over a program like ISU after Hoiberg's success as a first time head coach could potentially be catastrophic, but nobody will ever know, regardless if it was otz or prohm they would have piggy backed on our older players for the first couple of years.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines

So let me get this straight, in his first season he would have finished alot worse than Prohm's 10-8 team and first round exit in the Big 12? But he would have went alot further than the Sweet 16 in the NCAA tourney?

Reactions: Cyclones125

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
TJ has coached zero games here.
Premature extrapolation.
They have a pill for that.

My biggest concern with TJ continues to be gametime coaching. In that, he is pretty damn similar to Steve. TJ also has brought in considerable talent...Steve did to, but Steve failed by not recruiting immediately, riding on Fred's talent. I'm enthused by who TJ has brought in as assistants and that should help player development...that and you would hope that TJ has worked to improve his gametime coaching. We will see...

Cyclonefan710

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2012
I’m excited about TJ and glad he didn’t have to deal with the effed up roster that Hoiberg left behind. Great news I’m leaving you a ton of talented juniors and seniors, the bad news is I haven’t been recruiting the last two years so good luck balancing the roster after those guys graduate.

• Dumb
Reactions: VeloClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I’m excited about TJ and glad he didn’t have to deal with the effed up roster that Hoiberg left behind. Great news I’m leaving you a ton of talented juniors and seniors, the bad news is I haven’t been recruiting the last two years so good luck balancing the roster after those guys graduate.
Yes the roster was screwed up but I get so tired of hearing that Fred didn't recruit for two years. He was a victim of his own success and his NBA style game. Everyone knew that he wanted to eventually be in the NBA and that his game was a fit for the NBA and that hurt him on the recruiting trail - a lot. You are naïve if you don't think every coach he was recruiting against didn't use that against him. Kids want to know for whom they are going to be playing - not committing to the unknown.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

Why must you pick at scabs?