ISU Tennis

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
No, you mean if ISU alum Bruce McKee hadn't "cared" about ISU tennis and come to Pollard and gave him $500,000 to start the project, and if Dickson Jensen hadn't given ISU a deal with the construction?
Without those two that building wouldn't even be there.

Okay? So they spent 1.5 million then. The point doesn’t change.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
The Sports Pavilion (8 outdoor courts) in Lawrence is a public/city facility. KU opened its own 6+6 facility nearby in 2016-17. They partner with the city to host larger events.

K-State opened their 6-court outdoor facility in 2013-14. If they have to play indoors, they go across town to a private fitness center's 3-court facility -- which is the only indoor tennis spot in Manhattan.

West Virginia has a 6-court outdoor facility next to WVU Coliseum. They added lights in 2016, and resurfaced in 2019. If they have to play indoors, they have a 15-20 minute drive to a 4-court building.

I'm not going to compare the other Big 12 schools, because they all have men's and women's tennis.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
The Sports Pavilion (8 outdoor courts) in Lawrence is a public/city facility. KU opened its own 6+6 facility nearby in 2016-17. They partner with the city to host larger events.

K-State opened their 6-court outdoor facility in 2013-14. If they have to play indoors, they go across town to a private fitness center's 3-court facility -- which is the only indoor tennis spot in Manhattan.

West Virginia has a 6-court outdoor facility next to WVU Coliseum. They added lights in 2016, and resurfaced in 2019. If they have to play indoors, they have a 15-20 minute drive to a 4-court building.

I'm not going to compare the other Big 12 schools, because they all have men's and women's tennis.

So you're saying our facilities are basically right in line with other schools in the conference that have just women's tennis.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
So you're saying our facilities are basically right in line with other schools in the conference that have just women's tennis.

You guys are right. We should aspire to below average in all sports but football and men's bb.

Ames High has a better facility than Iowa State. Think about that. Not a little nicer, like Manhattan, KS to Manhattan, NY nice.

K-state and WVU also suck at tennis.

• Dumb
Reactions: ribsnwhiskey

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
You guys are right. We should aspire to below average in all sports but football and men's bb.

Ames High has a better facility than Iowa State. Think about that. Not a little nicer, like Manhattan, KS to Manhattan, NY nice.

K-state and WVU also suck at tennis.

You come up with 20 million and give it to the AD and all your problems are solved.

The claims that ISU tennis' facilities are vastly inferior to our conference rivals who only have women's tennis seem to be completely false. I don't care what Ames high has. Probably should have partnered with them in the construction, that would have made a lot of sense and we might have saved a few million in the process since the facility they do have is apparently so subpar we'd be better off without it.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
You come up with 20 million and give it to the AD and all your problems are solved.

The claims that ISU tennis' facilities are vastly inferior to our conference rivals who only have women's tennis seem to be completely false. I don't care what Ames high has. Probably should have partnered with them in the construction, that would have made a lot of sense and we might have saved a few million in the process since the facility they do have is apparently so subpar we'd be better off without it.

I always love the "you come up with the money" argument. I have posted the ISU Athletics budget before and discussed real world financing of other projects in other posts and it still doesn't change the mind of people like you. The idea that ISU pays for these projects in cash and is laughable.

The claim that they are vastly inferior is only false in the case of KSU and WVU. The KU facility is not part of Sports Pavillion Lawrence it is part of Rock Chalk Park, so that information was just wrong.

Having comparable facilities to KSU and WVU in anything isn't really anything to be proud of.

Look, I know the facilities aren't a priority and that they aren't coming. I also know that Boomer is as good as gone. All of that is okay because we are a football school who has never won the conference and played in one big bowl game in a Covid season with asterisks all over it.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
I just use them as an example that I am familiar with. All I was ever pointing out was that they will never keep the current Big 12 COY, if he isn't already gone, without a facility upgrade. I know nobody cares about Women's Tennis at ISU, but it seems pretty obvious that the majority of Big 12 schools care about it more than ISU does and that is reflected in their facilities.

The coach came here fully aware of what the facilities were. If he is going to leave after 2 years because we haven't built a Wimbledon style facility yet, you're right, I don't care, because he obviously doesn't either.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I always love the "you come up with the money" argument. I have posted the ISU Athletics budget before and discussed real world financing of other projects in other posts and it still doesn't change the mind of people like you. The idea that ISU pays for these projects in cash and is laughable.

The claim that they are vastly inferior is only false in the case of KSU and WVU. The KU facility is not part of Sports Pavillion Lawrence it is part of Rock Chalk Park, so that information was just wrong.

Having comparable facilities to KSU and WVU in anything isn't really anything to be proud of.

Look, I know the facilities aren't a priority and that they aren't coming. I also know that Boomer is as good as gone. All of that is okay because we are a football school who has never won the conference and played in one big bowl game in a Covid season with asterisks all over it.

You're moving the goalposts.

Every program in the Big 12 that has just women's tennis has comparable facilities. That makes sense. If there was a men's team too, there would likely be more money to spread around because there would be two different programs.

You're just being a ridiculous troll with the last comment. The football program had to wait a lot longer than it's peers to build some of their facilities. You want better facilities than our peers with just women's programs, and for a school with a budget like ISU's that's absurd. Boomer probably is gone, but he's done a tremendous job as our coach and I'm grateful for him. You get few chances to do something that's never been done before and he's done just that. Great job to him and the athletes.

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007

Once Iowa State gets through the pandemic budget issues and can focus again on capital projects, don't be surprised if an updated tennis complex is on the list. Why this thread has a negative tone when the tennis team has been such a great success story is odd.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
No, that's wrong. Kansas has the new Jayhawk Tennis Center - six indoor courts and six outdoor courts. They don't have a men's team.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Once Iowa State gets through the pandemic budget issues and can focus again on capital projects, don't be surprised if an updated tennis complex is on the list. Why this thread has a negative tone when the tennis team has been such a great success story is odd.

Its negative because one guy is crying about facilities and another is a racist. They mucked up the entire thread.

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
I understand a bit of pdxclone's sentiments. I used to be frustrated with the lack of Iowa home-grown representation on the women's golf teams.

However, the reality is, most of the top tier Iowa golfers don't want to play for ISU or can't compete at the top D1 level. They either go south and play year-round for top D1teams or they play more locally for mid-majors. There are exceptions, of course, but check out where the top Iowa girls HS golfers end up - not at P5 programs in the midwest.

So what's a coach to do? Settle for lower-caliber, Iowa golfers? Not if they want a competitive team. Instead, you go overseas. Those girls want to be here and can compete at the top level.

I have no doubt that a similar situation exists in tennis as well.
Iowa HS tennis doesn't have scholarship quality. Softball only has a couple due to lack of club opportunities. After top few in men's golf, not much. Look at performance of our top IA men nationally.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Great example. And after the 2018 season, when KSU overachieved and got to their first NCAA's in 15 years, even beating ranked Kentucky in the first round, their coach was in demand and bolted.
Wonder why.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin

Feel free to compare Kansas' and our budget, bro. For 2019, $26 million in revenue difference, $21 million in contribution difference. That pays for a lot of tennis courts.
Same with comparisons to any funding of BiG 10 programs including Nebraska. They are all pretty well financed and probably have the highest income of any confrence. Memorial stadium acts as a cash cow for those Nebrasgolians for a lot of other sports teams. Toss in big time donors-many schools have multi-billionaire backers-its all manna.

• Agree

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
All of that is okay because we are a football school who has never won the conference and played in one big bowl game in a Covid season with asterisks all over it.
Since you were immature, petty and vindictive enough to start marking my posts as “Dumb” regardless of content, I figured I should clarify. So that you could understand.

You’re welcome to have your own opinions and perspectives. We all do. But this part of your statement was just plain buck stupid. For myriad reasons.

But mostly, stupid for insulting to our coaches and players. Especially the players, who sacrificed a great deal to isolate themselves and be able to do what they did.

Don’t like that “Dumb”? You earned it.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Since you were immature, petty and vindictive enough to start marking my posts as “Dumb” regardless of content, I figured I should clarify. So that you could understand.

You’re welcome to have your own opinions and perspectives. We all do. But this part of your statement was just plain buck stupid. For myriad reasons.

But mostly, stupid for insulting to our coaches and players. Especially the players, who sacrificed a great deal to isolate themselves and be able to do what they did.

Don’t like that “Dumb”? You earned it.

Cool post. I always return dumb ratings with multiple dumb ratings and then I'm done.

I stated some facts and some people didn't like the way I presented them and that's okay. Nothing about that statement was an opinion or a perspective. Maybe a little insulting, but still true.

I hope that I'm still here for the same reason as you and that is to support the Clones. I'm done with any arguments in this thread. Have a great Friday and a great weekend.