Kid runs over another kid in football drill

Should this happen?

• Total voters

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
I have less problem with the drill than I do the technique the runner was using. He intentionally ran over the defender and lead with his head. What we don't know is if he was taught otherwise and just chose to be an a******, was not taught anything, or was taught to run over people. Use a cutback, a spin move, or a stiff arm, anything but your head.

But of course if that were me back in day, I'd be the kid running over the other kid and we'd all be laughing about it. But the 70s were a different time. LOL

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I have less problem with the drill than I do the technique the runner was using. He intentionally ran over the defender and lead with his head. What we don't know is if he was taught otherwise and just chose to be an a******, was not taught anything, or was taught to run over people. Use a cutback, a spin move, or a stiff arm, anything but your head.

But of course if that were me back in day, I'd be the kid running over the other kid and we'd all be laughing about it. But the 70s were a different time. LOL
You sound like a total bad ass.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Too early for this type of stuff. I know it's pretty common even in Iowa though.

Glad I'm not a kid in today's world of sports leagues.

I got burned out by simple T-ball/baseball youth leagues and that wasn't even that many games.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Low man wins. Poor kid learned the hard way. Get back in line and go again on the whistle.

(Yes they are too young for this but it’s also on the coaches on knowing skill level.)

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Will there ever be a time when football at youth levels becomes such a liability for helmet manufacturers, coaches, parents, that it just ceases to exist?

This kid looks around 6 years old. If he had some form of brain related issue later in life could he sue someone? He clearly can't give consent.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
This looks around 2nd grade football. Many local schools had 3/4 grade and 5/6 grade football up here. I pushed to make 3/4 flag as they couldn’t even concentrate more than 30 seconds so skill teaching was nearly impossible. Many parents don’t keep up with modern skill techniques (tackling is a huge one and I can see the situation here) and teach the old style which will increase chances for this. 6th grade with fundamentals and a couple games for fun is about the ideal spot to start. Anything younger is due to parents more than the kids.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Since they took the time to video tape this, the coaches knew they were putting the best kid against the weakest kid. I don't have a problem with the drill, but coaches know better than to do this.

Your #1 job as a coach is to protect your athletes