Boat Buying Advice???

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
Whatever you do, do not forget to put back the drain plug when launching :) Especially if you don't have a bilge pump that will kick in automatically when it senses water in your boat cause you didn't put the drain plug.
Keep that info to yourself. There are just some things you have to experience. A pump won't keep up anyway.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Whatever you do, do not forget to put back the drain plug when launching :) Especially if you don't have a bilge pump that will kick in automatically when it senses water in your boat cause you didn't put the drain plug.
All real boaters have done this. For me the worst is for when you ask another boat for a tow cause yours won’t start and they point out your kill switch hanging from your pfd

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Looks nice. You’ll need a white suit with a pink t shirt, boat shoes, and a 3 day beard. Chicks will think you’re Don Johnson and you’ll have to carry around a stick to keep them away.
If you're in the market for 60 year old chicks you would REALLY score with this!

• Haha
Reactions: Macloney

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
Keep that info to yourself. There are just some things you have to experience. A pump won't keep up anyway.
Yeah the pump won’t keep up. But it should kick in while you go park your truck after you launch. Then when you come back from the truck and see your bilge pump working it will make you think “why the hell is the pump working minutes after putting the boat in the water”. And then you’ll realize the you are an idiot that forgot to put the drain plug in. Embarrassment will also kick in right away while everyone in the line to launch their boats is shaking their heads at you. Then you will have to run back to your truck to pull your boat again and let it drain.

Yes, this happened to me :mad:

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Talked to the guy and he is very receptive to something like I pay a mechanic for a tune-up of up to $500 and he covers anything over that. This should cover anything that isn't major and I was going to have it tuned anyway. If it is something major we will reevaluate. This way I'm not completely on the hook.

There just isn't a lot available at this price and nothing in this condition at this price point up here and there are almost no outboards available.

You work with the guy and if you get along with him more than likely he's not trying to cheat you, then with that additional offer it sounds like a pretty darn good deal to me.

Reactions: wxman1 and Macloney

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
I have had trouble finding a decent used fishing boat for around $10-12k now for around a year. There was never much stock around the Des Moines, and I could never get someone to hold on to it long enough for me to drive 3+ hours to give them cash for it. Otherwise the price on the used boats was way out of line. Example someone was selling a 2008 Alumacraft Classic 165 with low end electronics for $18,500, which was about the cost of the boat when it was new.

I ended up getting a good deal on a new Lund 1650 angler for about $3k less than advertised price at almost every dealer I looked at. I tried to get Brightwells to match price for me so I didn't have to drive to pick up the boat, but they reused. Lunds hold their value well so if I don't find myself using it enough, I shouldn't be down too much money on it.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Most boat owners get their boats serviced at the same place every year. Ask the owner for that marina name and check with them. Or, ask a local marina how much they would charge for a quick inspection.
Most used boats are either really well cared for OR beat to hell. Not too much middle ground.

Reactions: DarkStar

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
The boathouse is on a river between 2 lakes and one is Lake Winnebago, which is the largest lake in Wisconsin. This also gives access to the Wolf and Fox Rivers and several other pretty large lakes. Boathouse is just under a grand a year and you can store all year there. I figure that if I really love boating and want to bounce around I could just buy something to tow it with in the future.
That sounds like very nice setup. I don't know what marina slip costs and availability are up there but the $4k for the boat might be worth it just to get rights to use the boathouse.
Looks like a clean boat. Good one to start with. May be a bit small to take out on the bigger lakes. May just have to wait for days with calm winds for those days.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Yeah the pump won’t keep up. But it should kick in while you go park your truck after you launch. Then when you come back from the truck and see your bilge pump working it will make you think “why the hell is the pump working minutes after putting the boat in the water”. And then you’ll realize the you are an idiot that forgot to put the drain plug in. Embarrassment will also kick in right away while everyone in the line to launch their boats is shaking their heads at you. Then you will have to run back to your truck to pull your boat again and let it drain.

Yes, this happened to me :mad:

Speaking of pumps not keeping up, never put in a boat without a plug.....but been in a Chris Craft that wasn't soaked. Barely got it out before it sunk.

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
I wonder if people that diss boat ownership are married, own houses, have kids, or pets. We had a 35' cruiser and we spend more every year on ISU than we spent the whole time we boated.

Reactions: DurangoCy and 83cy

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I wonder if people that diss boat ownership are married, own houses, have kids, or pets. We had a 35' cruiser and we spend more every year on ISU than we spent the whole time we boated.

Damn that sounds like it was a nice boat.

83cy

May 14, 2006
The used boat market is going nuts right now. I listed a 19ft 2013 with 200 yamaha for $37,500 sold within a day. I paid around $44,000. Money going for a new Ranger I ordered if it ever comes in.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
My boat cost me very little to own annually. The price of registration, insurance, and winterizing. Winterizing for mine (outboard) consists of changing the lower unit oil and making sure it doesn't have water in it.

Keep the boat stored properly (don't let it sit out in the rain uncovered for (weeks/months/years). The water will accumulate in the boat along with dirt and leaves. Eventually, it will soak the closed-cell foam and start to rot any wood in the boat (some boats like mine have wood stringers and transoms under the fiberglass.)

I have had to replace batteries twice since I've owned the boat. Once when I got it, and another time a couple of years ago. Keep the batteries charged and on a maintainer throughout the year, check water levels a couple of times a year and they will last 5-7 years pretty easy. Charged batteries won't freeze during the winter, but a discharged battery will, and it will likely ruin the battery.

• Informative
Reactions: Macloney

JRCampy

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Not really needing boat buying advice, but thought I’d tag into this thread.

My wife’s father recently passed. Him and his wife own a small 5 passenger boat they bought used in 1988, fiberglass with outboard motor. We believe the boat has not been in the water since 1999, and has sat in storage since then. We have moved the boat out of storage recently and need to decide what to do with it. My question is do I even try to get this motor running? Does anybody know a reputable boat mechanic in the central Iowa area? I know nothing about this stuff, but the thought of taking of the fam out on this thing has latched onto my brain.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I have a 2007 18 ft Lund. One day last fall and I was by myself fishing ( on the front deck). Forget to put plug in. About 20 minutes into fishing I went to walk to the back of the boat and the water was already 6 inches deep on the floor. The auto bilge had failed. By the time I got back to the ramp I had 8-10 inches on the floor. Broke a bunk board on the trailer pulling out of the water cuz the boat was so heavy.

That said... I love my boat and plan to keep it a long time.

Reactions: legi

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron