JTS Improvements - Want More

danwbarrett

Mar 29, 2006
University City, MO
Thanks for doing this. Honestly, the Jake doesn't look so ridiculous anymore with the changes being made. It does, however, look very small now...
The Jake just looks built in, connected, and almost buried because of the massive hillsides. That’s similar to the Sukup End Zone Club. I think final judgment needs to occur after the first game when the hillsides are packed with fans. With the higher hillside elevation now, there will be a continuous, connected flow between the fans on the hillsides and those in the permanent seating.

Last edited:

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
Thanks for doing this. Honestly, the Jake doesn't look so ridiculous anymore with the changes being made. It does, however, look very small now...
Eh, it still looks ridiculous, and small.
  • Get rid of the Jake, or I don't know, do something. It looks 'small time'.
  • Speaking of 'small time' - Get rid of the speaker covers that faded pink the first week they were put up. Make the ENTIRE width of the scoreboard structure a video board. The. Entire. Width. Hide the speakers in there somewhere. (PS. If you ever need to easily and quickly fade ANYTHING, put it in Jack Trice Stadium for an hour. Bleachers, signage, speaker covers, paint, scoreboards, anything/everything)
  • Still speaking of 'small time' - replace or greatly expand the dinky press box on the west side.
Do these 3 things, and Jack will be big time :)

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
  • Speaking of 'small time' - Get rid of the speaker covers that faded pink the first week they were put up. Make the ENTIRE width of the scoreboard structure a video board. The. Entire. Width. Hide the speakers in there somewhere. (PS. If you ever need to easily and quickly fade ANYTHING, put it in Jack Trice Stadium for an hour. Bleachers, signage, speaker covers, paint, scoreboards, anything/everything)
  • Still speaking of 'small time' - replace or greatly expand the dinky press box on the west side.

Sounds good. You be the lead donor.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
If ticket demand starts to exceed capacity, I was thinking we could lower the field, there is plenty of room to add 5 more rows which would mean and 2500 to 3000 seats. Plus it would bring the fans closer to the field.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
The Jacobson Building should be replaced long term but it does seem to now look more in scale than before. It still looks small but at least it no longer looks out of place.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
The Jacobson Building should be replaced long term but it does seem to now look more in scale than before. It still looks small but at least it no longer looks out of place.

With the work they are currently doing, does anyone really think that building is going anywhere? They shouldn’t. It will still be here 20 years from now. Maybe 30. I could see them expanding somehow or changing the roof line, but that’s about it.

KCyclone2010

May 19, 2017
With the work they are currently doing, does anyone really think that building is going anywhere? They shouldn’t. It will still be here 20 years from now. Maybe 30. I could see them expanding somehow or changing the roof line, but that’s about it.
Feel like changing the roof line will really help it seem not so out of place. Hopefully in the next 5-10 years the Jake could be expanded and updated with some suites or more seating to make it fit the new esthetic, but it serves it's purpose for now.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
I think a quick relatively cheap way to make Jacobsen look more attractive is some sort of modern metal cladding on the sides to match the vibe of the roof more. Right now it is just a kind of cinder block isn't it?
Because, like someone has said on here before, it's just a cinderblock rectangle where all the money went to the fancy roof on top of it.
Obviously this is all very low on a list of priorities.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
The NEZ probably doesn’t get redone until a big donor wants his name on it and gives a large gift. Same with the pressbox. Im guessing those 2 projects are at the bottom of the list (probably not even on the list), but things could change quickly if some rich person gets sick of looking at either and wants to fund the project.

• Agree
Reactions: ribsnwhiskey

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
Looking at the pictures from inside the stadium sure makes it look easy after all the changes to put in a lower level of seats where the hillsides are now. Not sure how much the capacity would go up because I think they count the hillsides as part of our capacity of 61,500.

Does anyone know how they count the hillsides in the capacity?

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Once they get this project wrapped up later this summer, I would expect the focus will turn to the bridge and the east RV parking lot. After that, back to the north lots and to somehow finalize the Pollard Entertainment District and the new hotel plans. Along with the Hilton remodeling project. Lots to look forward to, let's hope they get some cameras installed so we can all continue to comment and speculate on what's going on, construction wise.

Beat Iowa!

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
This gave me a weird deja vu feeling. I toured Notre Dame's stadium once and while I was there they were setting up for graduation. You tied those elements together here.

I am thankful that I got to see it before the sacrilege of replacing the grass with artificial turf which happened right after that graduation. They said they were having problems maintaining the natural grass turf. I'll bet if they had hired some of ISU's turf management grads they could have kept it natural.

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
This gave me a weird deja vu feeling. I toured Notre Dame's stadium once and while I was there they were setting up for graduation. You tied those elements together here.

I am thankful that I got to see it before the sacrilege of replacing the grass with artificial turf which happened right after that graduation. They said they were having problems maintaining the natural grass turf. I'll bet if they had hired some of ISU's turf management grads they could have kept it natural.
I am completely biased obviously but we have the best turf grass team in the country.