Tamin Lipsey Commits

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Favorite Thigpen moment: Minnesota - in their barn -- they lead with like 2 seconds and the ball under our hoop. All they need to do is inbound. But instead they throw the inbound pass against the glass (or the scoreboard -- can't remember for sure). We now have the ball. One pass tip to JT for the win. It was awesome.

I was at that game, those fans sure didn't show much Minnesota nice to me :p.
had a seat behind a steel pillar for that game used the bracing to hang my coat and leaned around the pillar the whole game. Good times LOL!

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I love that Naz buzzer-beater as much as the rest of you.

But that clip reminds me of how the legend of that team was somewhat better than the reality.

If the team that year was really that good, then it should not have needed so many frantic comebacks and last-second victories, often against inferior foes, to win the games that it did.

Its advanced metrics are really no better, and sometimes worse, than the last four Fred teams along with the first, second, and fourth Prohm teams. But games and teams with memorable endings, like 3 OT games and last-second half-court prayers, stick in our mind much better than just a workmanlike five- or six-point win over a good Oklahoma State that we should have been able to handle at home.

Pfffft, Great teams are the ones that find a way to win. Me and you will never agree on Niang's broken foot season, but I like you any way Sig ;) :).

Reactions: Thorongil Clone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
All three under age. Not happening! LOL
I was at West Towne late one evening late summer before Georges' freshman season. It had been a long day working on our latest tailgating bus. It was just the owner, my buddy and me in the entire bar. We heard the door and in walked young Georges Niang. I'm pretty sure I was the only one who knew who he was (thanks to CF). I was thinking to myself, "Don't do it kid, you are way underage." He walked up to the bar and asked the owner if they were still serving food. The owner said, "No, sorry, the kitchen is closed." Georges turned and walked out. "Good job, kid!"

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA

Tamin Lipsey of D1 Minnesota (6’1 2022, Ames, IA). The job of a point guard on a top team isn’t always glamorous. The job is pressure the ball, force mistakes, be verbal, and make sure all the talent has the ball in the right spots in transition or a slower paced time. Hit the occasional shot as well yes but the most important part is making sure all the parts are working well together. And Lipsey did that at a high level with two games totaling seven assists on 24 assists in four games weekend.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

Tamin Lipsey of D1 Minnesota (6’1 2022, Ames, IA). The job of a point guard on a top team isn’t always glamorous. The job is pressure the ball, force mistakes, be verbal, and make sure all the talent has the ball in the right spots in transition or a slower paced time. Hit the occasional shot as well yes but the most important part is making sure all the parts are working well together. And Lipsey did that at a high level with two games totaling seven assists on 24 assists in four games weekend.

seven assists on 24 assists?

Reactions: necromancy

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
Poorly worded. I think they meant he had two 7 assist games, with 24 assists total over the course of the four games.
Is there really a need to say he had two games with 7 assists when he averaged 6 per game for the 4 games he played in one weekend?

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
"You-know-who" wasn't referring to Hoiberg -- mostly to certain posters (or really just the one) who still complain about 2019 like Steve Prohm ran over their dog and boinked their girlfriend that season.

I get the warm fuzzy feeling about Fred given his origin story, but evidently he didn't care all that much about it when he left for the Bulls and took the Nebraska job, one of our historical tormentors. Jerk.

I suggest we have the same attitude. Fred's record as a coach has to stand on its own, and despite some of the talent he brought in, he only ever made the second weekend of the NCAA tournament once. He had two nice runs in Kansas City (though one was without Embiid standing in his way) and never won the B12 regular season.

It was a great era by the standards of Iowa State basketball, but it was not some transcendent success we can never equal again and had its fair share of missed opportunities, like the 2015 season overall.

Does UConn’s national title trophy have an asterisk on it for George’s broken foot?

Last edited:

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin

That summary is the best guard description I can think of...Lipsey is all that.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Tamin excels as a facilitator. I've said it before but he'll challenge EVERY assist record at Iowa State before he graduates

He's not asked to be the #1 scorer for D1 Minnesota. But he can score and very efficiently. Averaged 17/game for Ames and shot over 50% from the field as a junior coming off serious knee surgery and spending the entire fall running for his life as QB of a BAD Ames High team..

To give an unfair comparison to him. Against Monte he looks just as good of a passer, he's built better than Monte and attacks the rim better than Monte did. Just needs stay healthy and get more consistent at shooting to regain 4 star status

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Tamin excels as a facilitator. I've said it before but he'll challenge EVERY assist record at Iowa State before he graduates

He's not asked to be the #1 scorer for D1 Minnesota. But he can score and very efficiently. Averaged 17/game for Ames and shot over 50% from the field as a junior coming off serious knee surgery and spending the entire fall running for his life as QB of a BAD Ames High team..

To give an unfair comparison to him. Against Monte he looks just as good of a passer, he's built better than Monte and attacks the rim better than Monte did. Just needs stay healthy and get more consistent at shooting to regain 4 star status

I like the Aaron Craft comp that Blum used. Smart, tough, hard-nosed, multi sport star, facilitator, leader, winner, heart everything you want in a college point guard. Likely won't fill it up for 20+ every night but makes all the winning plays that dont show up on a stat sheet.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I like the Aaron Craft comp that Blum used. Smart, tough, hard-nosed, multi sport star, facilitator, leader, winner, heart everything you want in a college point guard. Likely won't fill it up for 20+ every night but makes all the winning plays that dont show up on a stat sheet.

If Lipsey can develop an outside shoot.. Look out. Look at a guy like Davion Mitchell. Bad shooter as a freshamn at Auburn, turned into an ok shooter in 2019/20 for Baylor and exploded into a 45% 3 point shooter this past season. Not a volume scorer for Baylor.. But he ran the show and was a junkyard dog guarding Suggs and other PG's in the tournament

Reactions: Land Shark

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
If Lipsey can develop an outside shoot.. Look out. Look at a guy like Davion Mitchell. Bad shooter as a freshamn at Auburn, turned into an ok shooter in 2019/20 for Baylor and exploded into a 45% 3 point shooter this past season. Not a volume scorer for Baylor.. But he ran the show and was a junkyard dog guarding Suggs and other PG's in the tournament
Up until the weekend, people were doubting Hunter’s outside shooting. Lipsey will be fine. As a preventative measure, so will Eli.

• Dumb
Reactions: Macloney