Georges Niang Update - Jazz success

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Big Georges Niang was the player of the game for the Utah Jazz last night. Jazz are obviously the top team in the west and maybe the best in the nba.

Last night's box score for him: 9-12 shooting overall, 6-8 from three, 24 points. (and a plus/minus of plus 19)

On the season he is shooting 42.6% from 3 and averaging new career highs in points. I'm not sure if the Jazz will resign him with cap space - right now he seems like a 6th man player for them. He may get paid starter money to go to a lesser team this summer, and that could be a massive payoff for him. Guys that tall who are lights out from 3 will always be in demand.

So happy for the young man as I can recall as a senior hearing hawk fan after hawk fan say "he'll never play as a pro". He has surprised me with his success and longevity in the league.

Just goes to show that at the highest level the skills still matter: shooting, passing, ball control. Georges will never win a dunk contest but man is he so, so good at the game of basketball. A winner literally everywhere he has played the game.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
He had another really good line this weekish and Matty did too--like 17 pts in 9 minutes or something.

I'm not sure if anyone will have the type of career that Hornacek had but having the volume of former ISU players contributing this much at the same time is very cool.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Last edited:

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
I'm not sure if the Jazz will resign him with cap space - right now he seems like a 6th man player for them.
I’m no NBA expert but I think the Jazz have his Bird rights so cap space won’t be an issue - although I guess the luxury tax could be.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
And still all Cyclone which makes it even sweeter for us alumni fans.

And what's the story behind the Georges Mini-van sweatshirt again? They are pretty cool but there has to be a story there?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Hausziege_04.jpg

ABECyguy

Nov 14, 2019
Ames
And what's the story behind the Georges Mini-van sweatshirt again? They are pretty cool but there has to be a story there?

its a nickname because he’s not as fast as guys like Donovan Mitchell. He’s not fast enough to be compared to a Ferrari, he’s a minivan! :D

“I went up and like it was kind of a dunk kind of a layup. Like I barely got up there. It looked like it looked like it hurt, right. So I get back to the locker room. Everyone was like, man, like, George, what the heck was that? And I was like, Listen, guys, I’m not a Ferrari. Like you guys. I need a couple laps around the block to get to full speed like a minivan.”

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I hope he can keep it going in the postseason. He's always been a guy that needs more minutes to get his game going, and he's getting that opportunity right now. He struggled a little bit for Utah in the bubble, and Jazz fans wanted him gone. They are now complimenting him through their teeth. NBA fans are brutal, even in Salt Lake City.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
I was fortunate to watch the entire game last night and witness the history. George was super efficient and watching him play was aesthetically pleasing. Georges has been killing it recently and playing a key role in one of the most successful seasons in Utah Jazz franchise history. He has stepped up in the absence of their star players Donovan Mitchell and Mike Conley. The Jazz will probably get the #1 overall seed by the end of the NBA regular season.

When Georges gets going, the Jazz is nearly unbeatable.

● When Goerges scored double-figure in a game, the Jazz is 18-1.

● When Goerges made 3 or more 3-pointers in a game, the Jazz is 16-1.

● When Georges started, the Jazz is 7-1.

It's such a great treat seeing all these former Cyclone greats doing well in the NBA. The better news is that except for Tyrese who is done for the season but will be on NBA First Team All-Rookie, we will be seeing Georges, Monte, Matt and THT in the upcoming NBA playoffs. I can't wait to see them compete at the pinnacle of the basketball world and make us Cyclone fans proud.

Mood

tenor.gif

Live look at the NBA player discussions on the Hawks board

giphy.gif

Last edited: