MLB: ***Official 2021 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
ConventionalOldfashionedAmethystsunbird.webp

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Someone said whenever the Cubs are winning this thread is too quiet so I will just say this now and someone can either call me out for it later on or I'll make sure you all know that I was right all along :) I still am not excited about this team despite now getting to .500 and 2 games back from 1st after sweeping the Dodgers and on a 4 game win streak. Have seen this play out too many times before, this offense is streaky and they will put together some nice stretches but also go cold in a hurry too. The hot streaks are fun but the cold streaks they usually look really bad!

I don't see the front office adding to this roster and I still think even if they do find themselves in 1st place they are going to sell off at the deadline. Bryant is really helping recover his trade value right now and I don't see how he is still on this team after the deadline because they will not be giving him and Boras the contract they will ask for. I hope he stays hot and someone forks over a nice group of prospects for him. If they don't have extensions hammered out with Rizzo or Javy by the deadline I would not be shocked if they are shopped around too. There is no reason to keep this group of players together for a possible quick exit in the postseason if they find a way to get there and the pitching staff definitely is not built to win playoff series either right now. In fact if they get hit with injuries in the rotation I cringe at the thought of what they are going to do to fill the spots with what they have in the system right now because starting pitching is not a deep strength at the moment.

I will root for some hot bats and just enough losing to keep the front office from doing something stupid like thinking this team can contend this year and not trade off their best assets to restock the team for the future. They have already missed the mark on that a few times recently and need to get a nice haul back for Bryant while they can and not let him walk for nothing at the end of the season.

• Agree
Reactions: GT25Ump

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Someone said whenever the Cubs are winning this thread is too quiet so I will just say this now and someone can either call me out for it later on or I'll make sure you all know that I was right all along :) I still am not excited about this team despite now getting to .500 and 2 games back from 1st after sweeping the Dodgers and on a 4 game win streak. Have seen this play out too many times before, this offense is streaky and they will put together some nice stretches but also go cold in a hurry too. The hot streaks are fun but the cold streaks they usually look really bad!

I don't see the front office adding to this roster and I still think even if they do find themselves in 1st place they are going to sell off at the deadline. Bryant is really helping recover his trade value right now and I don't see how he is still on this team after the deadline because they will not be giving him and Boras the contract they will ask for. I hope he stays hot and someone forks over a nice group of prospects for him. If they don't have extensions hammered out with Rizzo or Javy by the deadline I would not be shocked if they are shopped around too. There is no reason to keep this group of players together for a possible quick exit in the postseason if they find a way to get there and the pitching staff definitely is not built to win playoff series either right now. In fact if they get hit with injuries in the rotation I cringe at the thought of what they are going to do to fill the spots with what they have in the system right now because starting pitching is not a deep strength at the moment.

I will root for some hot bats and just enough losing to keep the front office from doing something stupid like thinking this team can contend this year and not trade off their best assets to restock the team for the future. They have already missed the mark on that a few times recently and need to get a nice haul back for Bryant while they can and not let him walk for nothing at the end of the season.
I’m not sure if it’s just cause KB is finally healthy, or cause it’s a context year, probably a combo of both, but if he’s going to perform like this I’m fine with giving him a big contract.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I’m not sure if it’s just cause KB is finally healthy, or cause it’s a context year, probably a combo of both, but if he’s going to perform like this I’m fine with giving him a big contract.

I'm not convinced he can stay healthy or perform like this consistently to give him a big contract. Boras clients always get top dollar and the service time mess is not going to help in negotiations either so I would rather move on and try to get a return that includes some young guys with team control for awhile than gamble on KB and get burned on a contract that will financially handcuff the team if he is not producing.

Last edited:

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Not sure if anyone else is watching today but Beth Mowins is on the call with Boog having ESPN obligations. I was admittedly pretty against it talking with some friends in a group chat, mostly cause I associate her with 11 AM B1G football, but she is knocking it out of the park today. IMO, her and JD seem to be clicking way more than Boog and JD do and I hope she's on more this year.

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
Not sure if anyone else is watching today but Beth Mowins is on the call with Boog having ESPN obligations. I was admittedly pretty against it talking with some friends in a group chat, mostly cause I associate her with 11 AM B1G football, but she is knocking it out of the park today. IMO, her and JD seem to be clicking way more than Boog and JD do and I hope she's on more this year.

First impression, personally, I dislike listening to her. She has what sounds like a very put-on broadcaster voice, and that manner of speaking drives me up the wall.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
First impression, personally, I dislike listening to her. She has what sounds like a very put-on broadcaster voice, and that manner of speaking drives me up the wall.
Yeah I'm not a huge fan of her voice, more just talking about the broadcast as a whole.

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
Yeah I'm not a huge fan of her voice, more just talking about the broadcast as a whole.

Yeah, maybe I would get used to it, but it really hurts the broadcast for me.

To your point, though, I do agree that the rapport between her and JD feels more comfortable, and less labored. If only she would would do less of "broadcaster voice" it'd be great. Honestly, Boog doesn't really do it for me -- he sounds like he should be doing a national broadcast, which is not in itself a bad thing (he has a great sounding voice), but it's also not what I'm looking for in a local broadcast. But clearly the people running Marquee think it's ESPN, which is silly and also not my preferred style of broadcast.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
2.5 games back in the central, 3 game winning streak and 6-4 in last 10. Still think this team sells off by the deadline and not be buyers. The good news though is Bryant has really improved his trade value so far and Kimbrel too if he can keep it going could help too. Bryant has been playing more OF than 3B too which makes you wonder if that is intentionally showcasing him for a trade. Just 49 of his 139 AB this season have come playing 3B. Baez has even picked things up a bit batting .300 in the month of May. Kind of hope they stay just far enough back in the NL Central so the front office is justified in trading off pieces that are not going to be part of their long term plan as thinking this team has enough to make a playoff run is just going to leave them with little to show for it if they just let some guys walk for nothing. The rotation especially just does not have the horses to compete in a playoff series.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
In the middle of a decent stretch right now. The young pitchers have been fun to watch and give me some hope moving forward. I wonder if Keegan Thompson gets some more chances to enter the rotation soon.

kinda weird that it took this long to play the Cards for the first time this season. Wouldn’t mind a little three game sweep

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
In the middle of a decent stretch right now. The young pitchers have been fun to watch and give me some hope moving forward. I wonder if Keegan Thompson gets some more chances to enter the rotation soon.

kinda weird that it took this long to play the Cards for the first time this season. Wouldn’t mind a little three game sweep

A 3 game sweep would put us T-1st. That seems ideal

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I'm watching the game on DVR and in the 2nd inning......what's up with all the booing from the Deadbird fans? They sound like KU MBB fans. I must've missed something, not sure why they're booing KB mercilessly. Then they were booing an obvious out call at 1st base when Molina tried sliding in.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I'm watching the game on DVR and in the 2nd inning......what's up with all the booing from the Deadbird fans? They sound like KU MBB fans. I must've missed something, not sure why they're booing KB mercilessly. Then they were booing an obvious out call at 1st base when Molina tried sliding in.

During the game Missouri announced they were going to start requiring toothpaste to contain fluoride

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

This is probably why

Help Support Us

Become a patron