Izaiah Brockington commits

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
The 2021 team was #286 in turnovers, #329 in defensive rebounding and #347 in free throw rate... Yet were still in about half of their games down to the under 4 TV timeout..

Otz's career average ranking for those 3 metrics (I'll even exclude his GREAT SDSU teams since some will just say DAUM) TO: 209, rebounding: 45 and free throw: 203.. Include SDSU time and it's #125, #56, #93

You probably win 6+ games more with last years roster just using Otz's career averages on those 3 moetrics alone

Metrics don't auto mean wins and losses. As by the close games you stated. They shouldn't have been even in those games, yet they were. So yeah......if you are an analytical nut you could make that argument with "metrics". Or, you can throw all those numbers out the window and make the same argument with just a healthy Foster and Hinson. From all accounts I see most everyone agreeing both will play a large roll in this years team. So to think they would have helped win 6+ games more last season isn't that far fetched. Especially with how close many games were.

baagoe

Mar 27, 2015
That's missing an Arizona St and a Mississippi St offer.

Look at Haliburton's offer list and it's pretty much the same. Do you think he wasn't worthy of an offer?

Not sticking up for Prohm but he did have a reputation of identifying under the radar PGs. And definitely not comparing Nunn to Haliburton but just pointing out that their offer lists were similar and Nunn could be another under the radar guy...and he had P5 offers you didn't list.
247 just released their final 2021 rankings and Nunn is #136 in them too. I don’t have a problem with TJ not wanting Nunn, especially after landing Lipsey and King. But to act like he is some bum is disingenuous.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I think TJ is going to have a pretty long leash. Pollard doesn't fire people at the first hiccup. Goodness knows he gave Prohm and Rhoads second, third, and fourth chances until they completely crashed and burned.

TJ could afford to take long-term development prospects at this point if he felt they would pay off in 2-3 years. He has that luxury. It just appears that he doesn't have to with the way he has rebuilt the roster the last month.

Long leash, probably. But I really feel like with these regime changes you have to get early momentum or it rarely goes anywhere. Off the top of my head I can't think of many new coaches within the last 10 years who had a rough first 2-3 years and then got it going. You almost always see a sizable turnaround within a couple years.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Long leash, probably. But I really feel like with these regime changes you have to get early momentum or it rarely goes anywhere. Off the top of my head I can't think of many new coaches within the last 10 years who had a rough first 2-3 years and then got it going. You almost always see a sizable turnaround within a couple years.

Yeah, I agree, selling hope and ample playing time is something you only get to do the first year or two. After that, you have to sell progress or winning, otherwise you might never get things going correctly.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Some won’t want to hear it, but this off-season recruiting reminds me of Hoibergs first season of recruiting. And guess who was heading it up? TJ.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

kcbob79clone

Agreed...and team really wasn't all that far away from a 6-12 or 8-10 season. They were basically in every game excluding Tx Tech, @ Kansas, and the post covid start up ... and usually found a new way to lose. Had national champs on the wire on the road.

Everyone wants to just say 0-18... but really weren't that many pieces from 9-9 if you actually watched the games (despite what was a very poor and thin roster).

Basketball doesn't need a ton of pieces for a rebuild, and TJ gets the perfect opportunity to refresh quickly with the transfer rules. Not saying 'expect' him to win in year one, but think we will be able to tell if it was a good hire or not pretty quickly.
Agreed, add to the fact that with all the new players there was no practice time. I'll watch the Clones through good times and bad times.

Reactions: NodawayRiverClone

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Apologize if this has already been covered, but does anybody know if he’s related to John Brockington who was a pretty good RB for the Packers?

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
At this point last year is completely irrelevant, and not just because it was the Covid year. Whole new coaching staff, whole new top 8 players in the rotation. On paper it’s a much better team and maybe even NCAA team. BUT the paper doesn’t factor in the chemistry and knowing the system. I’m hoping for the best obviously, but it’s a lot of stars to align. I have no doubt this same team would make the tournament year two with all of that experience together and under the new staff, not to mention who we add and probably another guy or two at least we currently don’t know about.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
He's from Flint Michigan, his dad played with Jeff Grayer as I recall. Flint Michigan has been a great pipeline continuing with Monte, we don't need bad word of mouth there.

I hope college recruits and their parents don’t get as butthurt about the business of CBB as posters on CF do.

• Optimistic
Reactions: kcbob79clone

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Agreed...and team really wasn't all that far away from a 6-12 or 8-10 season. They were basically in every game excluding Tx Tech, @ Kansas, and the post covid start up ... and usually found a new way to lose. Had national champs on the wire on the road.

Everyone wants to just say 0-18... but really weren't that many pieces from 9-9 if you actually watched the games (despite what was a very poor and thin roster).

Basketball doesn't need a ton of pieces for a rebuild, and TJ gets the perfect opportunity to refresh quickly with the transfer rules. Not saying 'expect' him to win in year one, but think we will be able to tell if it was a good hire or not pretty quickly.

The team last year was bad. They weren’t close to 6-12 or 8-10 or 9-9. They would have to have won every game decided by 9 points or less last year in order to finish 9-9. As an example of you flip every game decided by 9 points or less in 2018 we would have finished 16-2 in conference. We were no closer to 9-9 last year then we were 16-2 in 2018.

We were in 4 games late last year. Both TCU games, West Virginia on the road and Baylor on the road. Every other game was multiple possessions in the last three minutes.

This is a new team and the talent added should help. But the team last year was historically bad. We weren’t close to anything and that is before you factor in that nobody actually “got up” to play us.

Last edited:

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
The biggest difference I've seen thus far between the TJ era and the Hoiberg era is that out of the gate TJ is recruiting at a higher level than Fred. And while many were knocking TJ on his lack of HC experience, he's light years ahead of where Fred was. This doesn't mean much in terms of X's and O's, but in terms of building a culture, discipline, and getting the most out of players, it's huge.

I think for those reasons we should expect to see a faster turnaround with a higher ceiling. If it doesn't happen as fast as I hope or expect, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it because TJ is a winner and has that right combo of energy and discipline. It is very rare that those people in life fail.

As others have said, we were in many of those games last year. We don't have to get very much better to climb to the middle of the league with the turmoil going on in other programs. With more intestinal fortitude along with more talent, it is more than attainable, even if it's going to look ugly at times.

We were in exactly 4 games late in the 2H. The fact that we went on a late run in the last 3 minutes to turn a double digit game to a five point game against Oklahoma, Texas or South Dakota State doesn’t mean we were in the game.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
I found this nice photoshopped picture posted on Izaiah Brockington's step-father Noisette St. Jean Jr.'s Twitter account (@SaintManBeats). By the way, his mother Jennifer St. Jean was a Philadelphia Eagles cheerleader in the 2005-2006 NFL season.

E0p_Kb9XIAEA05Y

Here's a family photo.

105499983_10108799760775743_4437605160865488433_n.jpg

Last edited:

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
One thing I noticed watching his highlights that nobody else has pointed out yet is how good he seems to be at being the set up man running the pick and roll. That should help a guy like Conditt out a bunch. Conditt played his best basketball when Haliburton was still around. He was also very good at running the pick and roll.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
remember when a lot of people were super mad that TJ didn't re-recruit one of Prohm's commits.....?
No, I don’t. Not at all.

I clearly remember, however, people being mad at how T.J. apparently chose not to recruit the kid—by (according to the kid) not having the simple courtesy of calling to say he was pulling the offer.

To be fair, apparently you aren’t the only person who...misremembers that.

Did we ever get an explanation on that from T.J.’s side, BTW?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
No, I don’t. Not at all.

I clearly remember, however, people being mad at how T.J. apparently chose not to recruit the kid—by (according to the kid) not having the simple courtesy of calling to say he was pulling the offer.

To be fair, apparently you aren’t the only person who...misremembers that.

Did we ever get an explanation on that from T.J.’s side, BTW?
No because coaches can't talk about recruits.