CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Those talking about a bubble may be disappointed. Prices have gone up a ton but sales volume has been low due to the covids. Things will cool off but dont expect prices to drop.

Also, Congrats OP on getting a home!

Reactions: motorcy90

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
My agent just showed me a run down 1000sq foot house not far from me he listed for 800,000 that sold for 1,050,000. Tiny one car garage, all 30-40 years outdated needing a complete renovation.

I know because I was looking in the area a year ago it would have been listed around 750,000 and sold for 800,000 back then. (still over ask but not 200k over ask)

I'm not sure if this is a humble brag or a complaint? I'll go with humble brag, but dang that's a lot of money for a little house.

• Agree
Reactions: dosry5

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'm not sure if this is a humble brag or a complaint? I'll go with humble brag, but dang that's a lot of money for a little house.

It wasn't my transaction, I just talk to my agent sometimes and he pointed this one out to me to show me how insane southern CA is right now. I mean it is not a nice place at all and no way I'd have paid a dime over asking given it needs complete renovation. Some people buy these 1000sq ft old houses that are in ideal neighborhoods and double or triple the size, I'm guessing that has to be the plan...but that is not for me.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
currently fixing the few issues and re doing the basement flooring in our house then will be selling it. the market even in our small town has been moving fast and there are currently only 2 houses for sale in town. already have interest in my house from a few guys on the fire department who are renting and then friends of neighbors, house just down the road from ours sold in less then 24hrs even last month. but not looking forward to having to buy again here in central Iowa right after.

MisterO

Proverbs 19:11
Dec 6, 2020
Those talking about a bubble may be disappointed. Prices have gone up a ton but sales volume has been low due to the covids. Things will cool off but dont expect prices to drop.

Also, Congrats OP on getting a home!
Yep- for those of you waiting for the bubble to burst, it may be awhile. As long as interest rates stay under 3% (and all indicators are that the Fed is keeping rates at or near zero for the foreseeable future), house prices will stay solid.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Usually they go up every year, but last year the assessments for most houses in Iowa (that I’ve seen) went down, followed by another increase this year. At least they can justify the increase this year due to a legitimate appreciation in Real estate valuations.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Yep- for those of you waiting for the bubble to burst, it may be awhile. As long as interest rates stay under 3% (and all indicators are that the Fed is keeping rates at or near zero for the foreseeable future), house prices will stay solid.
The Fed controls short term rates Not long term mortgage rates, but there is an indirect connection between the two.

Reactions: MisterO

MisterO

Dec 6, 2020
Property taxes will climb in most districts until the voters fight back. Look carefully at proposed bond packages in your area- it isn’t free money and higher taxes is how they pay for it.

MisterO

Dec 6, 2020
The Fed controls short term rates Not long term mortgage rates, but there is an indirect connection between the two.
Lenders tie into Prime and tack on a premium. Prime stays low, rates follow. However, I think inflation is coming and this could force rates higher.

MisterO

Dec 6, 2020
Congrats OP on your new house!

All you young Cyclones out there- get that first house as soon as you can, even if it’s not the one you want. Build that equity and pay it off as fast as you can, rent it, and then go buy another one. Repeat repeat repeat.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Is the 100% assessment this year all of Iowa. In my area everyone was reassessed and all I've heard about went up about 15% that's after being assessed just last year. They are in a hurry to make sure they don't miss the peak.

Ours went up 2.8% and is still $20k (conservatively) below what we would list it at if selling. That's with an ever so slight tax rate decrease for Johnston - think they gave the credit for that to the penny sales tax increase that just passed.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Congrats OP on your new house!

All you young Cyclones out there- get that first house as soon as you can, even if it’s not the one you want. Build that equity and pay it off as fast as you can, rent it, and then go buy another one. Repeat repeat repeat.

Don't do it in a small town where values don't go up.

NDMARTIN2015

Jun 7, 2018
Des Moines
My polk county assessment went up like 12-15%. I won’t argue with it, because the realistic value of my home is much higher with renovations. It’s nuts, we bought for 196k in 2018 and it’s worth 230k estimated via Zillow, before renovations. Which we did about 40k worth.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
great thread, and timely for our recent experience. We were gonna build... but lumber ... ooof. Not knowing how much higher it would go... double ooof.

So we have looked at 10+ homes in person (needing a very specific solution, so weeded out majority of styles and sizes). Our realtors neighbor had a listing coming on the market that was perfect for our needs.

We offered $50k over their asking, as a pocket listing, before they hit the market. Their neighbors suggested to ignore our offer and list the house for a weekend. (GRRRR)

On the market Friday PM - Sunday PM. 40+ showings. We altered our offer, kept the starting point but an escalation clause of $1,000 over best offer (we have no contingencies), topping out $150,000 over asking.

We won, and buyers knew of our special circumstances, but didn't use that as a weight. They wanted the cleanest, best offer. So, all said and done $101,000 over asking. ugh. Due diligence and earnest money was set at 7% !!

BUT, it is the house we need (location, setup, size, schools). So it was gonna be what it was gonna be.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Don't do it in a small town where values don't go up.

What do you consider small. I live in a town of 2000 and the values are pushing up decently.

For people waiting, you will need to wait for interest rate movement and there will be some deals, especially in towns of 25k and less. A large portion of these houses are FHA lending, so there is a lot of 5% down. There are several refinances (even before Covid) that are for people pulling cash out of their houses to pay overspending. When rates go up, they will no longer be able to pull money from there and those houses will probably hit foreclosure or short sales.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Serious question. I thought sellers "had" to accept full offers when listing with a realtor. This makes it sound like sellers can "choose" which full offer (or better) to accept. Doesn't that open the door for all sorts of discrimination?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Serious question. I thought sellers "had" to accept full offers when listing with a realtor. This makes it sound like sellers can "choose" which full offer (or better) to accept. Doesn't that open the door for all sorts of discrimination?
You don’t have to accept any offer you don’t want to accept.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
you can't choose a buyer based on discrimination as defined in the law (sex, race, etc). But you can exclude based on contingencies, move in date, close date, etc.

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
Edina. We looked at new builds out in Maple Grove and Plymouth but what we could afford were all either 1,500 square foot new houses really far from anything or houses in "lesser" school districts. So we got a house close-in to the cities and in a great school district. It's older but it's everything we need. We said we'd rather have less house in a more central location compared to a brand new house way out in the tract housing suburbs.

cake eater.

JK / congrats - we miss the spring, summer and fall in the twin cities but then I remember the winters.............

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron