Report: T.J. Otzelberger headed for Iowa State

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Have you ever thought that the reason other schools aren’t interested in him is because they believe his #1 goal is to be the coach for ISU?

And maybe the fans / school not wanting him there anymore has to do with the fact that they had a rough year and now are hearing TJ wants to leave so their mindset is “good riddance”?

I can almost guarantee you that if TJ would’ve said he’s 100% invested in UNLV there wouldn’t be this feeling towards him. Everyone knows he wants out.

I think we should all be careful in assuming he wants this job above all others. I think he sees an opportunity and made the right connections. But why do we think he’d want this job over Wisconsin or Marquette?

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I am warming up to the idea of TJ as our coach. I hope for a lot of success with him here. To be fair, not a lot of people have had a lot of success at UNLV in recent history for whatever reason. Maybe we reached out to some other candidates that we would be interested earlier in the year and there wasn't any interest. I am all about hiring someone quickly so we can start building a staff and hit the recruiting trail and looking at transfers. We may have some players leaving and a lot of roster spots to fill so the sooner the start the better.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If TJ is indeed the guy, what evidence could you show that he didn't?

Outside of these forums what strong evidence do you have that he has?

People want instant gratification of having a decent basketball team NOW but don't believe in the process for this hire that has likely been going on for a long time.

Whether it's the right fit is the question but that goes for anyone.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Have you ever thought that the reason other schools aren’t interested in him is because they believe his #1 goal is to be the coach for ISU?

And maybe the fans / school not wanting him there anymore has to do with the fact that they had a rough year and now are hearing TJ wants to leave so their mindset is “good riddance”?

I can almost guarantee you that if TJ would’ve said he’s 100% invested in UNLV there wouldn’t be this feeling towards him. Everyone knows he wants out.

You think the reason other schools aren't gunning for TJ is because he's destined for ISU and not his middling performance in the Mountain West so far?

That honestly sounds like something someone is trying to convince themselves is true, rather than something that is.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Mike Taylor, Wes Johnson, Diante, Hambone were probably the best of his signees although that verifies your second point (other than DG).
I thought we could get more out of Chris Colin and Dendy but they flamed.
Peterson really wasn't a B12 PG body
Gilstrap was a talented player. He inherited him, but Jiri has a spot on most Iowa St rosters. Scotty is a Big 12 player but was out with mono for part of 2009-10. JVB was a few years ahead of his time, but another Big 12 quality guy.

He just never could get his assistants to land enough talented guards, and keep them at Iowa St

• Agree
Reactions: Halincandenza

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
done deal - JP just posted a message on twitter
Yup just received this email.

Dear Cyclone fans,

We have a new men’s basketball coach and it’s a familiar face!

It’s with great excitement and anticipation that we welcome T.J. (Otzelberger), Alison and their three children to Iowa State. T.J. was instrumental in helping our men’s basketball program achieve some of its most-significant achievement and he is keenly aware of what it takes to be successful at Iowa State.

Click here for a video message welcoming the family to Ames. Coach Otzelberger and I will hold a virtual news media conference Friday at 10:30 a.m. That event will be on cyclones.com.

I have had a close professional relationship with T.J. for many years and admired his work ethic and commitment to excellence. Having watched him grow professionally, I am convinced he is exactly what our program needs at this time.

Go Cyclones!

Jamie Pollard

Director of Athletics

• Dislike
Reactions: aauummm

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
tj will be the coach to go .500 or slightly above for 10 season and the AD/Donors/Media will always love him.

its the perfect plan by tj. no one will ever be upset with him around here.

Sounds like Johnny Orr’s Coaching Career at Iowa State. Barely above .500 overall. With around 40% winning percentage in Conference. Generally finishing 5th or 6th in an 8 team Conference. Occasionally having better teams. Never winning a Conference Tournament. But Love Johnny. Always Will.

• Agree
Reactions: kcbob79clone

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Been reading most of these posts. I've always said 'two objective parties in conflict, will always arrive at the truth'. That said, as many pointed out, it's a roll of the dice with Vegas odds. On one hand we want someone with proven experience. On the other hand we want someone vibrant and aggressive enough to get the job done. And for us aliens (with countless hands), we don't want someone taking their last paycheck and riding off into the sunset. While at the same time not wanting someone in diapers anxious to learn. Mid 40s. Ability to balance veteran position coaches with excellent recruiting coaches. A person truly wanting to be at ISU. A people person. A player's person. A person with excellent mentoring, thus offering the 'next' great coach for ISU. My two cents and eight hands.

Reactions: Snydes

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I think we should all be careful in assuming he wants this job above all others. I think he sees an opportunity and made the right connections. But why do we think he’d want this job over Wisconsin or Marquette?
#1 would be that Wisconsin wouldn’t hire TJ. He’s not their style. I’m not sure about Marquette though.

And I’m not saying that he’s a lifer here. I’m saying that people know that he wants the ISU job and has wanted it for some time.

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
Eff it, it's still happening.

IydqNzg15NfuRfEHC5_L3ACvBE6D80pG2e7oZrdCDaI.jpg

Reactions: BigCyFan