Best Dunker in ISU History?

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
That team should've been in the Final Four. Except UCLA got away with forearming Holloway into the stands on the game winning shot. Oh well.
Quite a stretch of ISU basketball between Floyd's '94-95 team and the 2000-01 team. huh?

Highs and now lows.

Reactions: 9104Griffith

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I'd say Grayer, Burton tie. Less video clips on Grayer but he was one of top players at ISU and the clips I've seen of him dunking, wow!

Here's one more clip of Burton. , 0.53"- 1'-03" especially.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

Have seen almost all these so for, but not in this Top 10 format, I don't think. I can't remember the one of Hoiberg in here anyway. Boy the 4th one here, again, Grayer wow! Goes right over his man.

Definitely some great ones left out.

Reactions: cyfanatic

Jim GBA

Oct 31, 2019
There was a guy from the Lynn Nance era named Bob "Frog" Fowler that could throw them down.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Not the best dunks, but the number of alley-ops that Ejim got when he dropped 48 was fun to watch.

Ejim could throw it down and had amazing hops. With that said there might not be a player in college basketball history who opted for the "bunny layup" over a dunk more than Ejim. Even more frustrating is that he missed a LOT of those layups.

I've maybe screamed "Just dunk the f**** ball!" once regarding another player. With Ejim? It was a nightly (every game) occurance.

• Disagree
Reactions: WhoISthis

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
I suppose this might be a good time to mention Don Smith? No vids to proove it but wasn't he a part of the reason the dunk got banned for a time? (Iba, Alcindor also).
This taken from a Visions magazine interview with Abdul-Aziz:
What’s something about your collegiate career that people may not know about you?
This was great for Iowa State. It’s a historical thing, and a lot of people don’t know it. The dunk shot was banned in collegiate basketball. I was involved in the banning of the dunk shot! Henry Iba, he was the Oklahoma State coach. This is what happened: I got a rebound; I threw it down to a Peruvian player named Raul Duarte. He went in to make the layup, and he missed the shot. I came down and goaltended the ball … and dunked it. Henry Iba gets up off the bench, says, “That’s goal-tending, ref! That’s goal-tending!” They gave Iba a technical. He said, “I want to make sure the dunk is banned.” He was on the NCAA rules committee, and the next year they banned it. It was banned for seven or eight years. Most historians don’t know this started at Iowa State.

[Editor’s note: An article from The Sporting News confirms this account, saying, “One spectacular play by Don Smith might have motivated Coach Henry Iba of Oklahoma State into predicting that the basketball rules makers would outlaw the dunk shot and eventually raise the basket.”]

Reactions: t-noah

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Rahshon Clark. I was a freshman in Cyclone Alley when the Virginia dunk happened (2004). It was absolutely nuts but not because of the dunk itself but the overall play. It was straight out of AND1 but against a good ranked Virginia squad.

My actual "wtf" moment was Clark's dunk against UNI. I remember in person, the crowd was shocked. That video of his best dunks has it and the crowd is quiet..not because there was nobody there. I remember everyone thinking "wtf...did he just do?" People were legitimately confused in a good way, in almost disbelief. It seemed like his hand reached above the backboard. Not sure how many people remember that dunk, but it's truly underrated made even more underrated with the terrible quality video clip of it that doesn't do it justice. Guy straight jumped over what seemed like 5 people for the put back dunk. Insane.

Shoutout to Deonte Burton too.

Last edited: