*** Official Iowa State Season Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I saw we got clowned on Around the Horn yesterday on ESPN. They didn't directly make fun of us, but they talked about the team manager getting in the game and drawing a charge call, showed all the clips of that and the team's celebration with him on the court. Pretty gross stuff....thanks Prohm.

You know, I didn't watch that game Thursday night, but I heard and read about that moment, and when I finally watched the clip of it I couldn't even make it to the end because of how quickly and how intensely it got me really angry.

It would be one thing for an end of the bench walk-on (and that's bad enough), but for a team manager (and let's be honest, good for the kid, but he looked exactly how you think a student manager would look) to get featured on ESPN is an absolute low point for ISU basketball. I think I would rather have us lose a game on a half-court buzzer beater then ever see something like that again. If that play isn't a perfect visual representation of just how God awful our season has been than I don't know what would be.

I really hope the guys can win today at K State, and I'll be cheering hard for them to do just that, but it absolutely sucks that the only excitement I have gotten from this team in the last month is thinking about and engaging with other posters on here on who our next coach will be.

I think we need to put a clause into the contract of any and all future coaches that if a student manager for an opposing team sees any time on the floor against us that it is grounds for immediate dismissal.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
You know, I didn't watch that game Thursday night, but I heard and read about that moment, and when I finally watched the clip of it I couldn't even make it to the end because of how quickly and how intensely it got me really angry.

It would be one thing for an end of the bench walk-on (and that's bad enough), but for a team manager (and let's be honest, good for the kid, but he looked exactly how you think a student manager would look) to get featured on ESPN is an absolute low point for ISU basketball. I think I would rather have us lose a game on a half-court buzzer beater then ever see something like that again. If that play isn't a perfect visual representation of just how God awful our season has been than I don't know what would be.

I really hope the guys can win today at K State, and I'll be cheering hard for them to do just that, but it absolutely sucks that the only excitement I have gotten from this team in the last month is thinking about and engaging with other posters on here on who our next coach will be.

I think we need to put a clause into the contract of any and all future coaches that if a student manager for an opposing team sees any time on the floor against us that it is grounds for immediate dismissal.

We should put a couple managers in today for grins and giggles...why not, right? Lol

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I saw we got clowned on Around the Horn yesterday on ESPN. They didn't directly make fun of us, but they talked about the team manager getting in the game and drawing a charge call, showed all the clips of that and the team's celebration with him on the court. Pretty gross stuff....thanks Prohm.
When that happened, I knew that I was witnessing the rock bottom of our program's history.

You guys aren't joking about team manager, are you. Seriously? Clip??

Holy cow. Embarrassing.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Cyclonick182

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
They call him Sexy Grande

AP21064102384834.jpg

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: tim_redd and t-noah

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Have seen a few posts that we are in for a long rebuild because the condition Steve Prohm has left this program.

With the new transfer rules, I think ISU can rebuild in 2-3 years. Be a .500 Big 12 team in year 2 and an NCAA Tournament team in year 3. Hopefully, we could be an NCAA Tournament team in year 2, but that would require no mistakes in recruiting. It going to take adding talented, character players in the transfer market.

IMO there are 4 key players the new coach needs to keep for the rebuild: Hunter, Nunn, Hinson and Foster.

There are 3 guys that I struggle with their role in getting ISU back to respectable: Bolton, Walker and Dubar.
  • Bolton is a solid offensive player, but a liability on defense. He a ball dominant offensive player, which I don't know meshes with a program that wants to build around players like Hunter and Foster over the long term.
  • With Dubar, I see glimpses of a nice role player. But just haven't seen enough shooting ability to be a Big 12 level wing player.
  • Walker is another guy that shows glimpses of being a Big 12 level player. But he can also be a turnover machine and not the purest jump shooter. Can he develop into a solid Big 12 combo guard?
Then there is a group of players who would add depth to a competitive Big12 team in 2021/22 but longer term they don't get ISU back to an NCAA Tournament in year 2 or 3 because they will be seniors next season: Conditt, Johnson and Harris. I like each of those guys as bench players who if they play well, can be 20mpg guys off the bench. But if they don't make an impact when coming in, maybe they play 5-10mpg. I just haven't seen enough consistency from those 3 for them to be starters.

That leaves 2 player who seem overmatched at the Big 12 level: Jackson and Blackwell.