Anyone else hearing that JP has already decided Prohm is coming back?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Lol. Ya okay what ever makes them feel better. Taking 10 million of some billionaires money in exchange for Fred and their recruiting class, plus the throw in of them starting over AGAIN and probably not seeing their FIRST NCAA tourney win for at least three more years is money well spent, not some **** you to Albaugh or ISU.

Well, when you phrase it like that, I like it much more.

• Haha
Reactions: quasistellar

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I know this is hard to understand for everyday people, but basketball is literally Fred Hoiberg’s lifeblood and passion. It’s like some guy that lives for being a brain surgeon and saving lives. That guy isn’t just going to go off and sit behind a desk and be happy.

Also, Matta and Bielien don’t want to coach at Iowa State. I don’t know why that’s such a hard concept for people to grasp.

If Basketball is Fred's passion. Then there is NO reason to leave Nebraska. He is in year 2 of a rebuild and has 2 top 100 recruits coming in next season. No guarantees he will have a competitive team at Nebraska in 2021/22, but the ISU rebuild is going to be a 2-3 year task.

In my post I said guys LIKE Matta and Beilein. I used them as examples of guys who have a history of winning at prior P5 schools. If ISU would use the $5-10M buyout money some fans have discussed on a higher base salary (aka $5M) we may get some run from a successful P6 head coach who might only be making $3-4M.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
If Basketball is Fred's passion. Then there is NO reason to leave Nebraska. He is in year 2 of a rebuild and has 2 top 100 recruits coming in next season. No guarantees he will have a competitive team at Nebraska in 2021/22, but the ISU rebuild is going to be a 2-3 year task.

In my post I said guys LIKE Matta and Beilein. I used them as examples of guys who have a history of winning at prior P5 schools. If ISU would use the $5-10M buyout money some fans have discussed on a higher base salary (aka $5M) we may get some run from a successful P6 head coach who might only be making $3-4M.

If not Matta or Beilen who meets those criteria right now?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

Except for the fact that Nebraska is a horrific basketball program, he's a local legend in Ames, was one of the biggest brands in the Big 12, yada yada yada.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Are we really a more difficult rebuild at this point?

Assume Fred comes, that he can bring McGowens and Breidenbach with him, and he keeps the guys worth keeping from our current roster because who wouldn't want to play for Captain Dreamboat.

Heck, while I am having fun, assume he talks Hunter into staying with Iowa State.

Why wouldn't he want to, after all -- this guy made Monté Morris a thing.

So...

Hunter
Bolton
McGowens
Foster
Breidenbach
---
some 2/4 of Harris, Johnson, Jackson, and Walker depending on who is back
Hinson (swap him for Foster if you want)
Conditt

I bet Fred could win with that team immediately.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

Assume Fred comes, that he can bring McGowens and Breidenbach with him, and he keeps the guys worth keeping from our current roster because who wouldn't want to play for Captain Dreamboat.

Heck, while I am having fun, assume he talks Hunter into staying with Iowa State.

So...

Hunter
Bolton
McGowens
Foster
Breidenbach
---
Conditt

You need to stop right now because I am getting extremely excited thinking about that.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

So...

Hunter
Bolton
McGowens
Foster
Breidenbach
---
Conditt

Don't disagree about that lineup. But not sure if the new transfer rule will make it easier for HS players who signed LOI to get out of their commitment. Or if Nebraska would be able to prohibit McGowens or Breidenbach from transferring to ISU.

That said, McGowens is going to Nebraska to play with his older brother who transferred to Neb from Pitt. Sure both could come to ISU, but they could just as easily go somewhere else.

That said, Fred is not coming back to ISU. It is just wild message board chatter.

• Dislike
Reactions: Cat Stevens

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Ill say it again: That money isn’t just there for anyone. Plus who is like Matta or Beilien that is available?

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Do you honestly think when Fred was let go from the Bulls, he was like "You know what program I'd really like to coach? The Nebraska Cornhuskers. A university and fanbase that could give 2 s**** about the basketball team and is arguably the worst P5 program in the nation."

Fred didn't and doesn't want to be in Lincoln.

You did not answer the question.

Stormin said:
What makes you think that Fred wants to go back to Iowa State?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Don't disagree about that lineup. But not sure if the new transfer rule will make it easier for HS players who signed LOI to get out of their commitment. Or if Nebraska would be able to prohibit McGowens or Breidenbach from transferring to ISU.

That said, McGowens is going to Nebraska to play with his older brother who transferred to Neb from Pitt. Sure both could come to ISU, but they could just as easily go somewhere else.

That said, Fred is not coming back to ISU. It is just wild message board chatter.

I would have to assume Nebraska would let them out if they requested it -- no point in being spiteful at that juncture, and it might be used against you in recruiting later on. We released Darien Williams without much of a fuss to St. John's when he wanted out after Fred left, after all. Why try to force a guy who doesn't want to be there anymore?

Assuming those two are in it for Fred...

Trey McGowens could come, too, with the new transfer rules. He is a fine player (at least as good as the other guards we have on the roster except Bolton), and I would not doubt we'd have the space for him.

Yes, they could just go be a package deal somewhere else, but I'm assuming they are on Team Fred given they went to ******* Nebraska in the first place. No other reason to go there outside of those dreamy blue eyes.

Is this rank message board speculation at its worst? Sure is!

That's what makes it fun.

Last edited:

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Do you honestly think when Fred was let go from the Bulls, he was like "You know what program I'd really like to coach? The Nebraska Cornhuskers. A university and fanbase that could give 2 s**** about the basketball team and is arguably the worst P5 program in the nation."

Fred didn't and doesn't want to be in Lincoln.

So you are saying that all the comments about his grandpa coaching there, relatives there, him growing up a Cornhusker football fan, Pinnacle Bank Arena top notch, etc. were all a bunch of BS????

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Honestly, this thread is kind of fun when we are talking about Hoiberg. When it trends back to TJ, the fun is bye-bye gone. Gunner, keep up the grandma talk.

He is truly doing work here. He’s changed the whole dynamic of the coaching search. Getting everybody’s hopes up to bring fred home.

years from now, after Fred’s hoisted a couple of trophies, we will all look back at this time on CF and be grateful to gunners grandmother and the fulfillment of her prophecy

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
If not Matta or Beilen who meets those criteria right now?

Successful coaches who would be worth contacting if ISU was will to pay $4-$5M annually:

Mark Turgeon - Maryland
Greg Gard - Wisconsin
Bobby Hurley - ASU
Thad Boyle - Colorado
Dana Altman - Oregon
Mike Young - Va Tech
Dan Hurley - UConn
Buzz Williams - A&M
Mike White - FL
Kelvin Sampson - Hou
Penny Hardaway - Mem
Willard - Seton Hall
Steele - Xavier

There might be a couple of the above who may listen for $4-5M a year. Maybe just to get more money or extension out of their current school.:)

In the end, I expect ISU next coach to be a mid-major head coach or P5 assistant.