Bowen Born

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Is Born really worse than Trey Jackson or Tyler Harris? I'd argue that he is better than both.

offensively sure but he’s no better defensively and I think it’d be a tough argument since he plays in a much weaker mvc.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
People who make the argument he’d be a great Iowa State player and the same idiots who think Alabama could beat the Detroit Lions. They just don’t get it. I’d also be willing to bet they support Prohm because he’s the Iowa State coach and a nice boy too. It’s more they are connected to Iowa(the state)/Iowa State and want them desperately to be good. Rather than actually wanting someone good.

• Disagree
Reactions: ISUChippewa

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
People who make the argument he’d be a great Iowa State player and the same idiots who think Alabama could beat the Detroit Lions. They just don’t get it. I’d also be willing to bet they support Prohm because he’s the Iowa State coach and a nice boy too. It’s more they are connected to Iowa(the state)/Iowa State and want them desperately to be good. Rather than actually wanting someone good.

I don't see many people here saying he'd be great. But I'd like to see us take 3 star kids from Iowa vs somewhere down south. Matt Campbell has shown the value in this strategy.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
so is calling a guy a bust who played behind the guys Custer did

It might be a bit of hyperbole on my part, but I feel like it's getting to the point that if a recruit doesn't average double figures for his career or is at least a all-conference honorable mention by his junior year that the group think labels him as being a bust.

Not every single scholarship player of the 13 allowed is going to become an all-conference player; that's the simple truth. And it's unfair for us as fans to expect (and maybe even demand) that of them.

Every good basketball program needs role players; guys who aren't the first or even second option, but players that can grab rebounds off the bench, provide a spark of energy, etc., and if a program doesn't have players like this chances are, IMO, they aren't going to go too far in the NCAA tournament. Take a guy like Anthony Booker in our own recent history; he might not have played up to the expectations conferred upon him due to his high ranking out of high school, but he was a tough player who could block shots, play some good defense, grab rebounds, and score some around the hoop. He was a big part of Fred's first two NCAA teams.

Dustin Hogue was also that kind of player. Custer may have become an all Big 12 caliber of player by his senior season, He may not. Either way I think it's really simplistic and unfair to label someone a "bust" unless the expectations are fairly and realistically high that they don't live up to.

Reactions: heitclone

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
so is calling a guy a bust who played behind the guys Custer did
So you admit this is a stupid argument. Obviously Wesley Johnson was a bust based on your guidelines. I could go on and on but I really don't see the point.