TX School Song

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
caroline-kennedy-nine-years-old-rides-her-pony-macaroni-at-the-annual-D18JE0.jpg

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
It seems to me, the chancellor/president needs to make a decision here to shelve the song.

I cannot believe donors would walk from UT athletics over a song particularly if the decision came from someone on-high not directly associated with the athletic department like the coach or AD.

Pride is one of the seven deadly sins for good reason.

Last edited:

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
On
Great. Now it reminds me of the Kennedy family, specifically JFK, one of the worst presidents in American history. Maybe not the worst given the stiffness of the competition there, but probably the most overrated.

One of the advantages of dying young is you tend to get credit for everything great you may have done in your life. There was a girl from my High School that got murdered by a 40+ year old, married man she had been sleeping with. The Des Moines Register made her sound like a cross between Madame Curie and Mother Theresa.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
On

One of the advantages of dying young is you tend to get credit for everything great you may have done in your life. There was a girl from my High School that got murdered by a 40+ year old, married man she had been sleeping with. The Des Moines Register made her sound like a cross between Madame Curie and Mother Theresa.

Yeah. Kennedy was going to solve poverty, bring democracy and peace to Southeast Asia, seamlessly integrate the burgeoning youth culture of the time with the austere American culture of the 1930s, 40s, and 50s, open up mainland China to the West, and go to the Moon by the decade's end... if only he had a second term to accomplish all of it.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Kennedy had serious moral issues but as president, he performed pretty well. He got the Russians out of Cuba at great risk to the world. But they took their warheads out.

He had valiantly served his country during WWII unlike many of the draft-dodging cowards who followed him in that office.

He cut taxes and saw real GDP growth.
-sXe96ygGINdzmiXc0MwSE15x5x45eEaklrVUeFiBGZRqaEoIqQl0oUlamihaRxBhBmoJP2zKWhQIvsT6yVXVrz6FrVwThfEoSp1L0TSdGFHG1SCV55UbulJDMbzkAfzCO4eg-zgfjIBjUAJIufTGibYum2zKj_EzJdHEnyxpw

He was a great orator, beloved and respected around the world. Americans and many others cried when he was murdered.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Kennedy had serious moral issues but as president, he performed pretty well. He got the Russians out of Cuba at great risk to the world. But they took their warheads out.

He had valiantly served his country during WWII unlike many of the draft-dodging cowards who followed him in that office.

He cut taxes and saw real GDP growth.
-sXe96ygGINdzmiXc0MwSE15x5x45eEaklrVUeFiBGZRqaEoIqQl0oUlamihaRxBhBmoJP2zKWhQIvsT6yVXVrz6FrVwThfEoSp1L0TSdGFHG1SCV55UbulJDMbzkAfzCO4eg-zgfjIBjUAJIufTGibYum2zKj_EzJdHEnyxpw

He was a great orator, beloved and respected around the world. Americans and many others cried when he was murdered.
It wasn't at grave risk to the world. The Freedom of Information laws revealed documents regarding the stunning lead the United States had over Russia in nearly every military metric, the detailed knowledge of everything going on in Cuba, and the preparedness we had over them. In the end, Russia's bluff was called. That aside, Kennedy was a great man and was destined, I believe, to be an even greater president.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
During the Cuban Missile Crisis, leaders of the U.S. and the Soviet Union engaged in a tense, 13-day political and military standoff in October 1962 over the installation of nuclear-armed Soviet missiles on Cuba, just 90 miles from U.S. shores. In a TV address on October 22, 1962, President John F. Kennedy (1917-63) notified Americans about the presence of the missiles, explained his decision to enact a naval blockade around Cuba and made it clear the U.S. was prepared to use military force if necessary to neutralize this perceived threat to national security. Following this news, many people feared the world was on the brink of nuclear war. However, disaster was avoided when the U.S. agreed to Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev’s (1894-1971) offer to remove the Cuban missiles in exchange for the U.S. promising not to invade Cuba. Kennedy also secretly agreed to remove U.S. missiles from Turkey. History

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Wow. At his first press conference Sark claims players will proudly sing "The Eyes of Texas". Pretty bold statement considering he has not met with team. If I were in his shoes I'd walk gingerly around this topic until he gets a feel for the team. That comment may come back to bite him.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...rns-the-eyes-of-texas-school-song/6649392002/
The Texas job has always been a tough job because there are wayyyyy too many cooks in the kitchen.
-too many high profile boosters to please, too many rich egos, a mammoth athletic dept as a whole, being in a bursting metro like Austin is. There's many reasons why they are somewhat a blue blood, but the job isn't as good as it appears because of these structural issues.

In hindsight it's hilarious they canned Mack Brown. For what having a couple 9-3 years? They have been a ship lost at sea ever since.

In regards to your post there have been comments that the Texas fight song has "racial undertones". Which that expression is used a lot in 2021 and I don't quite understand it to be frank with you. Here are the lyrics by the way:
The Eyes of Texas are upon you,
All the livelong day.
The Eyes of Texas are upon you,
You cannot get away.
Do not think you can escape them
At night or early in the morn --
The Eyes of Texas are upon you
Til Gabriel blows his horn.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
The Texas job has always been a tough job because there are wayyyyy too many cooks in the kitchen.
-too many high profile boosters to please, too many rich egos, a mammoth athletic dept as a whole, being in a bursting metro like Austin is. There's many reasons why they are somewhat a blue blood, but the job isn't as good as it appears because of these structural issues.

In hindsight it's hilarious they canned Mack Brown. For what having a couple 9-3 years? They have been a ship lost at sea ever since.

In regards to your post there have been comments that the Texas fight song has "racial undertones". Which that expression is used a lot in 2021 and I don't quite understand it to be frank with you. Here are the lyrics by the way:

It's set to "I've been working on the railroad" that's why people get angry about it.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
The statement, "The Eyes of Texas are upon you," was said by a University of Texas president in a speech. However, it was a direct reference to Robert E Lee's quote that "the eyes of the south are upon you." It's like a politician saying "Countries need to make sure that they have enough living space for their citizens," which would be a reference to the "lebensraum" concept.

Edit: I think article, while just being interesting, does a good job laying out why some people have a problem with the song. https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-culture/ut-austin-eyes-of-texas-song-racist/

Last edited:

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
The song's ties to racism are pretty ******* tenuous, if we're being honest. The backlash seems very think skinned and classic woke mob outrage. I mean, if doing anything a racist did is considered racism in and of itself, where do you draw the line? Racists eat, ****, and breathe. Does that mean every time you eat, ****, or breathe you're emulating a racist and therefore being racist yourself? That's the logic being advanced here to some degree.

That said, the willingness of the donors to burn everything down over a silly song is just comical. It always cracks me up how the "EVERYONE GETS TOO OFFENDED" crowd gets so ******* offended when other people don't react to songs the same way they do. This is like the outrage over kneeling during the anthem all over again. They just rewrote the lyrics to "I've Been Working on the Railroad". I started laughing the first time I saw Texas fans singing it en masse.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
The statement, "The Eyes of Texas are upon you," was said by a University of Texas president in a speech. However, it was a direct reference to Robert E Lee's quote that "the eyes of the south are upon you." It's like a politician saying "Countries need to make sure that they have enough living space for their citizens," which would be a reference to the "lebensraum" concept.

Edit: I think article, while just being interesting, does a good job laying out why some people have a problem with the song. https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-culture/ut-austin-eyes-of-texas-song-racist/

While Robert E. Lee was clearly a racist, this particular quote doesn't seem racially charged. What am I missing? I hate siding with the right, but this one really does feel like an overreaction in as much as the amount of racism present in this is pretty similar to the amount of racism that's inherently baked into America in the first place.

Just because a racist does something, doesn't mean that action or statement is racist.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
While Robert E. Lee was clearly a racist, this particular quote doesn't seem racially charged. What am I missing? I hate siding with the right, but this one really does feel like an overreaction in as much as the amount of racism present in this is pretty similar to the amount of racism that's inherently baked into America in the first place.

Just because a racist does something, doesn't mean that action or statement is racist.

it was performed at minstrel shows. I think that’s the problem with it.

either way, it’s fine that white fans still like the song, I guess. But it’s stupid to force players to like the song.

I think tom Herman is a real ******* but I give him a ton of credit for letting his players do what they think is right.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
it was performed at minstrel shows. I think that’s the problem with it.

either way, it’s fine that white fans still like the song, I guess. But it’s stupid to force players to like the song.

I think tom Herman is a real ******* but I give him a ton of credit for letting his players do what they think is right.

I agree 100% on this. If the ISU football team came out and said "we want the fight song to be gender neutral" I would have zero issue with the change even if I can't fathom being offended by the line "loyal sons forever true".

If the Texas players don't want to sing it, don't make them. That's ******* stupid. And it's obvious that many of these Texas boosters are racists who don't give a **** about the players. They just want their silly traditions to endure at all costs.

And I know it was sung at minstrel shows, and while I agree that minstrel shows are racist, I'll go back to my previous point that just because a racist does something, doesn't inherently make it racist.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
The song's ties to racism are pretty ******* tenuous, if we're being honest. The backlash seems very think skinned and classic woke mob outrage. I mean, if doing anything a racist did is considered racism in and of itself, where do you draw the line? Racists eat, ****, and breathe. Does that mean every time you eat, ****, or breathe you're emulating a racist and therefore being racist yourself? That's the logic being advanced here to some degree.

That said, the willingness of the donors to burn everything down over a silly song is just comical. It always cracks me up how the "EVERYONE GETS TOO OFFENDED" crowd gets so ******* offended when other people don't react to songs the same way they do. This is like the outrage over kneeling during the anthem all over again. They just rewrote the lyrics to "I've Been Working on the Railroad". I started laughing the first time I saw Texas fans singing it en masse.

I think it's more than just this song that the boosters are mad at. Im guessing they are sick of the woke mob and this is the reason they are using to put their foot down. It's all fun in games in life until the guys with the money say enough is enough.

• Dumb
Reactions: Cat Stevens