Anyone else hearing that JP has already decided Prohm is coming back?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
This. We need sharpshooters that can be a threat at every position.
I love me some sharpshooters, but after these last two years, I just want to see some fundamentally sound play. Ideally, we're a run n gun type team as those are my favorite teams to watch. But I don't know if I can do another year of watching sub 6' guards yacking 3's all game long.

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
It needs to be 3pt shooting.

I'm all for that. Seems like just about every team besides us has a couple of players that on a given night have the capability to go 6 of 9 from 3. Not consistently of course, but at least now and then they are capable of 'lighting it up'. Miss that.
Then again, wouldn't it be cool to be a top rebounding team? One can dream I guess

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I'm all for that. Seems like just about every team besides us has a couple of players that on a given night have the capability to go 6 of 9 from 3. Not consistently of course, but at least now and then they are capable of 'lighting it up'. Miss that.
Then again, wouldn't it be cool to be a top rebounding team? One can dream I guess

Every style has a price. Would people be happy with a team that’s the third best rebounding team in the conference but 8, 9, or 10 in 3p and offense? I don’t know. I grew up in the Johnny era. I like offensively skilled basketball and I think that is what ISU basketball should be. That’s how you get Hilton back, not grind out 25 seconds of shot clock on both ends of the floor.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I love me some sharpshooters, but after these last two years, I just want to see some fundamentally sound play. Ideally, we're a run n gun type team as those are my favorite teams to watch. But I don't know if I can do another year of watching sub 6' guards yacking 3's all game long.

I could handle it. I think that Harris could be really effective if someone worked with him on what makes a good shot and those other basics.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Every style has a price. Would people be happy with a team that’s the third best rebounding team in the conference but 8, 9, or 10 in 3p and offense? I don’t know. I grew up in the Johnny era. I like offensively skilled basketball and I think that is what ISU basketball should be. That’s how you get Hilton back, not grind out 25 seconds of shot clock on both ends of the floor.

They can play UVA grindball all night if they want as long as they win.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
have they officially fired him?

since TJ is so desirable, we might want to hurry up before they snatch him ;)

in all seriousness, if Craig Smith was in play, he’s probably not now.

It’s Medved’s job if Musselman (Arkansas) turns them down. I think Craig Smith has too much of P.J. Fleck in him for that athletic department.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
i feel like other than Floyd Iowa State has essentially just settled for a basketball coach. I don’t think Eustacy was a hot up and comer (though he brought 1.7 years of pretty good success). Wayne Morgan seems like our pinnacle of settling. Maybe McD was a reach but a minuscule one. Fred was kind of settling but a pretty big chance at the same time. TJ would have been a settle but then we reverse lindied into settling for Prohm.

I guess Iowa State is just not a program that is all that attractive other than a stepping stone. Is it impossible to recruit here? Too tough a conference to coach in? Not enough $ or fan support? Too high of fan expectations? Poor facilities? Not a close enough airport? What?

Larry was a solid hire (and came as a Floyd recommendation), and McDermott was a hot commodity - he already had an offer from K-State and Pollard managed to steal him.

Wayne Morgan was, at best, the fifth choice. I suppose you could call it “settling,” but when no one else will even answer the phone, there’s not much you can do about it.

Reactions: aauummm

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
But that isn’t what it would be because of the level of players that we would have compared to UVA.

Tony Bennett didn't originally build that program on the backs of some highly-rated guys like he is landing nowadays. He built it on the kind of talent we typically had and just coached it up really well.

Check out his NBA placements now compared to early in his tenure...

1614636195618.png

I cut Klay Thompson and Kyle Weaver from his Washington State tenure.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I could handle it. I think that Harris could be really effective if someone worked with him on what makes a good shot and those other basics.
Yeah I guess if we're winning I really couldn't care. And I do agree with you about Tyler Harris. He's fun to watch but should be playing Donovan Jackson JR year minutes instead of what he currently does.

erinmd32

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2015
Larry was a solid hire (and came as a Floyd recommendation), and McDermott was a hot commodity - he already had an offer from K-State and Pollard managed to steal him.

Wayne Morgan was, at best, the fifth choice. I suppose you could call it “settling,” but when no one else will even answer the phone, there’s not much you can do about it.

That's because VanDeVelde was in charge of the Morgan hire......

I wonder if he still reads the message boards and calls and yells at posters.....

• Haha
Reactions: cyfan4St8 and JP4CY

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
THIS.

Hilton gets super loud for two things:
1. Bad officiating
2. Made threes

Also big momentum shifting runs that are allowed to keep going until the opponent is forced into a time out after a final 'touch' of a big dunk or three.

Reactions: Haverhill

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

Our best teams in my lifetime were teams that played more like this than Hoiball, they had no problem getting Hilton rockin.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010

At the time, of the options available after Hoiberg left, Prohm was the most accomplished head coach who was using Fred's basic system. As long as the personnel was there for it, he was the safest choice. TJ would have been a riskier choice in the same vein.

I think we've seen what that system looks like when you don't have the key pieces to run it. My guess is JP will be looking for a change in style for the next coach.