Cyclone Softball: 33-22, was ranked, first NCAA since ‘88, first NCAA wins

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
...and knocked off #21 Mizzou And dropped a game 3-8 to #11 Arizona State in Phoenix. now dropped a heartbreaker at #17 Mizzou. Lost a close one 7-9 to #1 OU.

They returned a lot of players from a team that has achieved a high level of success versus the program‘s history. They are fun to watch and, while home games were usually on Cyclones.TV, they are now regularly on ESPN+.

Last edited:

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I just saw the score on FB. Congrats to the ladies for an awesome start to the season.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

OKClones

Dec 12, 2019
Coach Pink is a gem and one of the best in the nation. We’re lucky to have him.
One of the best in the Nation? We’re 9-1 but slow down I’m not sure there’s anything on his resume that warrants that yet. We’ll see in a few weeks when we get into conference how good we really are?
Gasso, Gaweski, Moore and Mike White might have something to say about best in the nation.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
One of the best in the Nation? We’re 9-1 but slow down I’m not sure there’s anything on his resume that warrants that yet. We’ll see in a few weeks when we get into conference how good we really are?
Gasso, Gaweski, Moore and Mike White might have something to say about best in the nation.

I didn’t say the best, I said one of them. Go ahead and look at his resume.

- Multiple 40 win seasons at Tulsa
- 2 NCAA Tournament berths at Arkansas
- Took a Montana program that literally DID NOT EXIST and was in the NCAA tournament by year 3
- Has our program looking at the best start in school history

He isn’t Murphy and Walton, but he’s had a remarkable career and I’m sure he’d have similar success if he were heading the likes of Oklahoma and Florida.

Reactions: bos

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

- Took a Montana program that literally DID NOT EXIST and was in the NCAA tournament by year 3

He isn’t Murphy and Walton, but he’s had a remarkable career and I’m sure he’d have similar success if he were heading the likes of Oklahoma and Florida.
I will take .500ish this year.

OKClones

Dec 12, 2019

He isn’t Murphy and Walton, but he’s had a remarkable career and I’m sure he’d have similar success if he’s were heading the likes of Oklahoma and Florida.
Yes good career far from one of best. Hopefully he moves us up from 6 or 7th place in the Big 12. I would love to see us be relevant in softball. NCAA tournament berth would be awesome. We can be hopeful with what we’re seeing but talk about a tall task.

FWIW...John Bargfeldt was the coach at Tulsa that had 14 straight winning seasons and lead them to 10 or 11 NCAA tournaments, 13 total Conference Championships between regular season and tournaments and over 500 wins, he’s now at Ok State (assistant). Bargfeldt is the Coach that made Tulsa into a Top 25-35 program. Pinkerton did have a winning record at Tulsa but Pinkerton has an overall losing record as a D1 Head Coach.

Reactions: agentbear

OKClones

Dec 12, 2019
D1 Softball has the Cyclones #22 in this weeks Rankings that came out today. Has Iowa State ever been ranked before?

Reactions: VeloClone

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
D1 Softball has the Cyclones #22 in this weeks Rankings that came out today. Has Iowa State ever been ranked before?

That’s pretty awesome.

They haven’t been ranked in recent history. They were good in the early days of the program but I doubt rankings were a thing at that time.