• Keep Prohm as coach and let him finish his contract

• Fire Prohm as head coach immediately and pay buyout

• Fire Prohm at end of season and pay buyout

Results are only viewable after voting.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
So maybe I'm nitpicking and I know many will feel otherwise, but I believe the adjustment WAS made. You might assert it wasn't soon enough, but Burton was turned loose.

the Purdue game was the last straw, perfect matchup for us, that game should never of been close, matchup problems everywhere for Purdue and we did nothing to take advantage till the last 10 minutes

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
the Purdue game was the last straw, perfect matchup for us, that game should never of been close, matchup problems everywhere for Purdue and we did nothing to take advantage till the last 10 minutes

Oh, come on now. What I bolded above is just being silly. I'm not going to argue that Prohm coached a perfect game that night, because he didn't, but Purdue was a #4 seed that won the Big Ten regular season title that year. To suggest that we should have blown them out if we had done everything perfectly is frankly absurd. It's not like they were a #14 seed mid-major that had to win their conference tournament just to get into the tournament.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
Do you guys ever wonder why a coach at this level wouldn't make his 10-15 million and just peace-out. I mean, you could retire really nicely with that amount of dough and leave all these problems behind.

• Agree
Reactions: Macloney

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Do you guys ever wonder why a coach at this level wouldn't make his 10-15 million and just peace-out. I mean, you could retire really nicely with that amount of dough and leave all these problems behind.

Or double/triple your money by sticking it out.

You have to remember, too, that the men in these professions are competitive and have a lot of ego. Not saying that is a bad thing or anything like that, but those personalities naturally gravitate towards this.

Calling it quits because you're set for life isn't the goal here. Winning -- or at least not losing -- is.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Oh, come on now. What I bolded above is just being silly. I'm not going to argue that Prohm coached a perfect game that night, because he didn't, but Purdue was a #4 seed that won the Big Ten regular season title that year. To suggest that we should have blown them out if we had done everything perfectly is frankly absurd. It's not like they were a #14 seed mid-major that had to win their conference tournament just to get into the tournament.

You know what Chip, I am out of reasons to defend CSP right now, but this attempt at re-writing, or with the Sesame Street saying of the season.....re-image....history is starting to remind me of the days when the one ups of this site were trashing Wayne Morgan as they tried in vain to explain away the utter failure of their hero. He welcome may have ran it's course......but this BS is making me T.J. is coming.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I just can’t wait until basketball season is over and we can actually see how this plays out. Obviously Covid could derail this plan, but assuming he knows Campbell is sticking around awhile that will likely lead to more income to athletics(higher prices for a better product, donations, growing fan base/support).. he might be more willing to go get a better coach than he usually would for basketball, knowing what Hilton Magic means to the fan base and that it’s the second most profitable sport(and more income here goes back to helping football and all athletics as a whole).

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
You missed two obvious "home runs" - Chris Mack at Louisville (from Xavier) and Brad Underwood at Illinois (from SFA after just one year at Okla State).
My point is that hiring a mid major coach being risky because of an inherent "hard adjustment" to the Big 12 is ridiculous. It all depends on the coach you hire, that's all.

There is no formula for hiring a winning coach. If there was, some guy would start a search firm and make millions per search.

Even hiring a P5 assistant for an elite coach is no guarantee. How many great coaches under Coach K, Williams, Calipari, Boeheim, Pitino, Izzo or Self have turned out to be great coaches? A very small %.

What works at one school, doesn't necessarily work at another. Look no further than Fred Hoiberg. At ISU he went 16-16 and then 23-11. At Nebraska he has gone 7-25 and 4-8. Sure the future looks better with his signing the McGowens brothers. But if the younger brother does great next year, he could be a one-and-done. I am sure Nebraska fans have their concerns that Hoiberg will get the job done.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
Or double/triple your money by sticking it out.

You have to remember, too, that the men in these professions are competitive and have a lot of ego. Not saying that is a bad thing or anything like that, but those personalities naturally gravitate towards this.

Calling it quits because you're set for life isn't the goal here. Winning -- or at least not losing -- is.
Lifestyle creep

To be a head coach at this level is a dream job. He's not doing it for the money. That's just a great benefit to doing what you love. And he's young. He's not ready to kick back and enjoy his sunset years.

Reactions: agentbear

acody

Nov 25, 2006
I just can’t wait until basketball season is over and we can actually see how this plays out. Obviously Covid could derail this plan, but assuming he knows Campbell is sticking around awhile that will likely lead to more income to athletics(higher prices for a better product, donations, growing fan base/support).. he might be more willing to go get a better coach than he usually would for basketball, knowing what Hilton Magic means to the fan base and that it’s the second most profitable sport(and more income here goes back to helping football and all athletics as a whole).
None of this makes any sense.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I've watched 0.0 seconds of ISU basketball this year. I've been a season ticket holder since Larry.
I REALLY like Steve and hoped it would work. I don't think you will find me posting any hateful posts. In fact, I'm too apathetic to post about hoops, much at all, and certainly can't opine about our play this year. If football wasn't good I'd be more visceral.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
To me, it’s very simple and very obvious. Iowa State basketball is on pace to win 2-4 games IN AN ENTIRE SEASON. When just 5 years ago, we were coming off the best stretch in school history with repeated Top 15 teams. It takes a lot of work to tank a program that badly and that quickly.

Pollard will have no choice but to move on. Or he’ll have to admit he doesn’t care about winning basketball here (which he does). There is no way Steve Prohm turns this into a middle of the pack bubble team next year. None. And to move on this year instead of next year will cost, what, and extra $1.5 million. The AD will lose more than that from fan apathy.

Max57

Dec 18, 2008
Somewhere on Hwy 30
I started going to games during the Johnny Orr era. In about the last 35 years, I've had season tickets probably 20-25 of those years. This is the most apathetic I've ever been. My only interest is when I bet against the Cyclones. That's been my most consistent winner since legalized betting was implemented.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron