[Eli Sanders Added] 2021 Class Breakdown

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Nov 27, 2020
My HS coach made us time our 40s after a practice. They were some bad times. My sons had them on the track and with track cleats, add in an old coach who was slow to start the watch and would cut times for kids he liked and he had one kid who probably ran a 5.8 running a 4.5. Film is better than using any HS time.
All those times listed on 247 are from March of 2019. So he’s probably improved on everyone of them.

A_storm_is_comin

Jan 9, 2021
This class is almost identical on 247 in team ranking and per player ranking as the 2018 class. That 2018 class is the best recruiting class in school history, so consider me very excited about this 2021 class.
I think it's going to be even better in the 2022 class. Especially if we can make it back to the big 12 championship game.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
I did not realize how good Purchase is. I remember glancing at his offer list and not really being that impressed. Then I watched his tape. He's stupid fast and I don't believe he is done growing height wise. I'm really excited about him and Freyler. Future is bright in Ames!
Both DB's from Colorado can fly.

Reactions: A_storm_is_comin

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
My HS coach made us time our 40s after a practice. They were some bad times. My sons had them on the track and with track cleats, add in an old coach who was slow to start the watch and would cut times for kids he liked and he had one kid who probably ran a 5.8 running a 4.5. Film is better than using any HS time.
“Any”? Not true. There’s a reason the recruiting services focus on standardized testing at their camps.

College staffs do the exact same thing at their camps.

That said, there’s a reason I like HS track meet times as a base indicator of raw speed. Not flawless, but still a standardized objective metric.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
“Any”? Not true. There’s a reason the recruiting services focus on standardized testing at their camps.

College staffs do the exact same thing at their camps.

That said, there’s a reason I like HS track meet times as a base indicator of raw speed. Not flawless, but still a standardized objective metric.
Have you been through or around these tests?

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Hand time 40s are a joke. I always look for track times if a guy has any sort of speed with measuring, especially a 55m, 60m, or 100m time. Usually, the fast guys will run track for a few years (Myles Purchase did not).

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
One aspect of this class that I am going to be VERY interested in is the number of guys we go after that are playing in the spring. With California, Pennsylvania and Illinois (among others) all slated to play their football in the spring, how many breakout seniors will their be and who will we go after.

A guy that broke out as a senior in last class is Anthony Smith. We nabbed him on NSD and he has a lot of upside.

We won't know who those guys are until they play, but you can bet that the staff will be looking for a QB, OL or DB that can really play.

Reactions: OnlyCyclones

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
One aspect of this class that I am going to be VERY interested in is the number of guys we go after that are playing in the spring. With California, Pennsylvania and Illinois (among others) all slated to play their football in the spring, how many breakout seniors will their be and who will we go after.

A guy that broke out as a senior in last class is Anthony Smith. We nabbed him on NSD and he has a lot of upside.

We won't know who those guys are until they play, but you can bet that the staff will be looking for a QB, OL or DB that can really play.
I see that Chase Mason, the QB from Viborg, S.D., is still sitting out there uncommitted. That kind of surprises me.

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
Purchase at 4.8/40 is likely a bad day or bad measurement. Camp results are getting more and more accurate, with the bigger ones having more evaluators and better methods to collect those metrics. The whole world of camps/measurables/recruiting is continuing to evolve, the next 2-3 yrs are going to be very interesting!

Nov 27, 2020
s
Purchase at 4.8/40 is likely a bad day or bad measurement. Camp results are getting more and more accurate, with the bigger ones having more evaluators and better methods to collect those metrics. The whole world of camps/measurables/recruiting is continuing to evolve, the next 2-3 yrs are going to be very interesting!
Ive said it in another thread but the 4.8 was timed in March of 2019, that was before his Junior season of Highschool football. There is no doubt in my mind that going from his Sophomore to Senior season he has gotten faster.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Mikey Keene going to be an option again?
He could be. He is already on campus at UCF, but we'll likely know within a week or two the plan.
He could back out and think the NCAA might let him, but it's tough to.