***Official 2021 Weather Thread***

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
1/3 of my driveway is bare concrete. Some spots have 18 inch drifts.

I'm SO SO SO happy to have a 2 stage for those drifts, my corner lot and this wet and heavy snow. Just destroys this stuff. If I wasn't working this morning, I would have blown out several neighborhood driveways.

Yeah, this was one of the 2-3 snows a year I would have liked to have a 2 stage for. The single stage can manage, but not without multiple passes & some shovel help at the end of the driveway.

First world problems..

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Horsepower is valuable with these snows. I have two neighbors with identical 2 stage snowblowers. Roughly 6 hp ones. They had to blow forward or else they were making snow banks 6-8 to the side of them. Took them forever to blow it. I was dreading going out. I have a 10 hp and it clearing the full width (3.5 car) of the driveway. 2 stage helps, but low horsepower renders them to be glorified single stages.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Horsepower is valuable with these snows. I have two neighbors with identical 2 stage snowblowers. Roughly 6 hp ones. They had to blow forward or else they were making snow banks 6-8 to the side of them. Took them forever to blow it. I was dreading going out. I have a 10 hp and it clearing the full width (3.5 car) of the driveway. 2 stage helps, but low horsepower renders them to be glorified single stages.

Ever thought about hooking up some nitrous to that bad boy for some real umpfff?

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
But if the school is going online today, they can count it as a contact day, therefore we do not have to make it up.

Our school fooled around and did not cancel until 6:18 this morning, I was just getting ready to head up to the shower and get ready. Every school around had cancelled before 6:00. Not sure why it takes the guy so long to realize that the road are horrible and just decide to cancel for the day. I drive 40 miles one way and other drive further, so we are leaving by 7:00 at the latest to get there.

Done with my rant for the day.

Go cyclones
Waukee cancelled and our Superintendent told us we wouldn't have to worry about making it up because we would still have enough hours in to cover it. Now, if we miss any additional days, we may have to make them up.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The local school adds 5-6 no school days in right away. Have not missed a day yet, today is no in person but they went to online so still no down days. They cut spring break to a couple days to make sure they were done by a certain day. I think they can cut to 2-3 days extra if they do the online stuff.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
In Johnston and part of my driveway had less than an inch and the other part had over two feet.
And it was a very wet and heavy snow too. I have a big 2 stage thrower and Im wiped but also did quite a few sidewalks and did 3 other end of driveways for the neighbors.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
But if the school is going online today, they can count it as a contact day, therefore we do not have to make it up.

Our school fooled around and did not cancel until 6:18 this morning, I was just getting ready to head up to the shower and get ready. Every school around had cancelled before 6:00. Not sure why it takes the guy so long to realize that the road are horrible and just decide to cancel for the day. I drive 40 miles one way and other drive further, so we are leaving by 7:00 at the latest to get there.

Done with my rant for the day.

Go cyclones

Most districts have built in days in their calendar so they don't have to make days up in June.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Still snowin' and blowin' in Omaha.
Really hard to tell but I'm guessing maybe 3" so far.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Most districts have built in days in their calendar so they don't have to make days up in June.

Yes, and so do we, most districts are counting hours these day, instead of actual days. Nice thing about being about to count today as an online day, that we are not burning up hours that we would have to make up in the spring. So since we have built in days in the schedule, we can still go ahead and take those days off.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Just cleared what the plow shoved into my driveway. and my front walks. Still need to finish the rest of the driveway and then the long walk on the side, stupid corner lot.
It's let up a lot but I didn't want all that stuff from the plow freezing into massive ice boulders.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
How are the roads around and West of Ames on Hwy 30 toward Boone? My daughter needs to drive to Boone (from Marshalltown) and wondering if I should let her.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
How are the roads around and West of Ames on Hwy 30 toward Boone? My daughter needs to drive to Boone (from Marshalltown) and wondering if I should let her.
Not sure how it is there, but I drove down to Kansas City this afternoon and it was fine.

• Informative
Reactions: 1100011CS

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
The sticky snow was cobbing up my snowblower. I had to stop multiple times to clear out the thrower etc. This was especially bad at the end of the driveway. Very slushy. Helped out a couple of neighbors with those areas so it was jus our house this was happening too. I'd say5 inches at our house but tough to tell. You can see grass in some areas but there are drifts halfway up my thigh. I am 6ft.

This year I put some liquid silicone on my snowblower and shovels which works like a champ. Most are sold on Amazon as car detailing liquids. Clean the areas off with rubbing alcohol, rub the silicone on it and let it sit for maybe a day and bam, no more snow clogging up the snow blower.

ruflosn

Dec 21, 2008
This year I put some liquid silicone on my snowblower and shovels which works like a champ. Most are sold on Amazon as car detailing liquids. Clean the areas off with rubbing alcohol, rub the silicone on it and let it sit for maybe a day and bam, no more snow clogging up the snow blower.
This may be the best post in any weather thread to date.

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
Clean the areas off with rubbing alcohol, rub the silicone on it and let it sit for maybe a day and bam, no more snow clogging up the snow blower.
[/QUOTE]
That's what she said.....

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Ok, who's going to start the 1/23-1/27 weather thread? Weather Underground is showing 10" of snow in Des Moines for that time period.
I just noticed it looks like snow for 4 days straight. Will be interesting to see that develop.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron