Players staying and leaving for 21-22 season

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Someone noted that Kolar missed a block when Milton got tackled for a loss. He also completely whiffed his block on that 4th down from the 1-yard line (second quarter) and Breece couldn't score. So one wonders if his blocking shortcomings could affect his draft status, something he could improve while he gets a start on a masters degree? That would be my completely disinterested recommendation.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
Is it a stretch to say our offensive line across the board could be preseason 1st or second team?

Downing and Newell (first)
Foster, Simmons, Schweiger (second)

We will see what the staff does at the right tackle spot.

Eh, as long as they keep improving, they could be there. They had some stinkers this year pass-blocking on the inside.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
They'd be second year true freshmen.
Plus if we keep winning we just might get a true freshman in the future that's just to good not to start.
I thought you meant incoming True Fr. I guess if a guy is good enough he should play, but it would be nice to not have to get a guy in the lineup before he’s ready. Great job by the staff and players building really good depth.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
Is it a stretch to say our offensive line across the board could be preseason 1st or second team?

Downing and Newell (first)
Foster, Simmons, Schweiger (second)

We will see what the staff does at the right tackle spot.
I worry that our TE group had a lot to do with the OL performing well... as has been mentioned.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
As a Chiefs/Cyclone fan, Travis Kelce, the Chief's star tight end is 31 and will probably retire in two years. Kohler is the same type of tight end and would be an excellent replacement for the Chiefs when Kelce retires. I would guarantee that if Kohler goes in the 3-4th Round, the Chiefs will pick him up. Besides that ISU and Chiefs are both Cardinal and Gold.

Kelce will play well into his 30s. He just set the all-time record for reception yards by a tight end in a season. He still has 5-6 years left. That doesn't mean Kolar couldn't be a weapon in that offense though.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I worry that our TE group had a lot to do with the OL performing well... as has been mentioned.

I think that is true, but I think the line has also played a lot better as the season went on. Now, with everyone back, they can really build a solid line. Getting Downing back will give them a mauler that can create a couple yard gain when you really need it.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
As a Chiefs/Cyclone fan, Travis Kelce, the Chief's star tight end is 31 and will probably retire in two years. Kohler is the same type of tight end and would be an excellent replacement for the Chiefs when Kelce retires. I would guarantee that if Kohler goes in the 3-4th Round, the Chiefs will pick him up. Besides that ISU and Chiefs are both Cardinal and Gold.

Kolar would fit in great as the Chiefs #2 TE. As a fellow Chiefs fan, I’ve been daydreaming about that too!

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Soehner is the only one who has indicated that he's gone on offense so far. Don't count Kolar out quite yet.

The only position I have much of a concern about right now for next year is D-line. And even then there's guys there like Lee and Peterson that will be good. (McDonald will continue to be great)
Lee, J.R. Singleton and Tucker Robertson are going to be big in the middle. They’ll likely have help from Zach Petersen in four man front, and Howard Brown is enrolling early.

Outside, Will McDonald and Petersen are going to be nasty—the latter just needs to work on his pass rush skills. And Blake Peterson and Corey Suttle are hungry and ready to step up.

And I didn’t mention Johnny Wilson, because I’m not sure yet where he’ll fit. Check back when Spring ball stars. And don’t forget Tyler Onyedim.

So I’m curious. How does anyone think we need more DL help? Pretty sure PT is the whole reason Bankston left.

Reactions: Chitowncy

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
Man that is big...if he can stay healthy....just huge. I just can't believe Sean's improvement. Maybe I am just seeing things wrong and overstating it, but I really thought he was DOMINANT the last 4-6 games.
I thought I was seeing that too. What HUGE news!

This team is going to be stacked. Now, to just find a transfer or two on the defensive line. Ah HELL, next man up! These guys all work their butts off and I'm sure Lee, McDonald, Petersen and Co. will step up even without another big time addition or two! Such a great time to be a Cyclone fan.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Lee, J.R. Singleton and Tucker Robertson are going to be big in the middle. They’ll likely have help from Zach Petersen in four man front, and Howard Brown is enrolling early.

Outside, Will McDonald and Petersen are going to be nasty—the latter just needs to work on his pass rush skills. And Blake Peterson and Corey Suttle are hungry and ready to step up.

And I didn’t mention Johnny Wilson, because I’m not sure yet where he’ll fit. Check back when Spring ball stars. And don’t forget Tyler Onyedim.

So I’m curious. How does anyone think we need more DL help? Pretty sure PT is the whole reason Bankston left.
How much did Tucker Robertson play this year? Seems like he was a guy the coaches talked about but don't remember seeing him playing.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
We will still be limited unless we get a reliable deep receiver. While the OL will help give Hall holes and Purdu time, we’re going to need a more reliable down field option.
Or unless one develops.

It will help when Milton is fully healthy again.

Jaylin Noel and/or Daniel Jackson may show enough for him to play outside. Even if not, the depth should be a huge boost. Note that Noel looks even better than I expected from his junior film.

Joe Scates was an eyelash away from a couple of huge plays in the Fiesta Bowl. If Sean Foster put it all together, why can’t he?

Darien Porter is almost as fast as Kene. CMC has said he’s going to be great.

Aidan Bitters isn’t far from that neighborhood.

Actually having a Spring practice will be huge—for all of these guys. And the defensive backs (both corners and safeties) as well.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Cyhig

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Not sure if it’s his lack of speed or something else but I just feel like Kolar is going to struggle in the NFL.
He's gotta be faster than Kyle Rudolph and he's put together a great NFL career. Witten and Gronkowski weren't very fast either. Kolar doesn't have to run like Kittle or Kelce. He consistently gets open one way or another against zone or man coverage and catches everything.

CyclonePigskin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 28, 2010
DSM
The returning OL depth reminds me of an OSU team years back that I remember substituted the whole interior line against us while the game was still competitive. I never imagined seeing a time when that possibility might exist for ISU.

Given how Coach Campbell deployed DL units to keep men fresh, I wonder whether he might consider this option for the OL, assuming our quality depth is as good as we’re imagining. (Unit substitutions rather on the theory that OL works well as a unit. I know that assumption is built on reps together, so far fetched, except it seemed to work for OSU that year.)

As others have posted, it’s a nice situation to have.

Reactions: Aclone and aauummm

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
The returning OL depth reminds me of an OSU team years back that I remember substituted the whole interior line against us while the game was still competitive. I never imagined seeing a time when that possibility might exist for ISU.

Given how Coach Campbell deployed DL units to keep men fresh, I wonder whether he might consider this option for the OL, assuming our quality depth is as good as we’re imagining. (Unit substitutions rather on the theory that OL works well as a unit. I know that assumption is built on reps together, so far fetched, except it seemed to work for OSU that year.)

As others have posted, it’s a nice situation to have.
No. You don’t substitute on the offensive line. Completely different animal than defensive line.

ILikeBacon

Apr 1, 2013
I would add Hufford to the list of those in the mix for playing time. Nice problem to have.
I just think back to a couple of really tough years and remember an OL that struggled pretty badly. Responses to questions about playing the back-ups were (very roughly paraphrasing) basically that there was a big drop-off down the depth chart (i.e. we had deficiencies at starter level AND no depth). This continues to be such an amazing transformation!!

Reactions: Aclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron