Matt Campbell Big 12 Coach of the Year (Annual Thread)

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Its great to see, and our guys are deserving. Like always, getting guys on this list is easier when you win the conference.
Yeah people complained that we didn't get recognition when our team wasn't winning because we are Iowa State but that is just not true.

Reactions: Aclone and Big_Sill

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I didn't think I'd see these kinds of times with our football program as long as I lived.

Clemson loses, Ohio State loses, and we win, and we have a legitimate playoff argument.

If Clemson losses again and Iowa State wins I think we are absolutely in the discussion. Also, if Clemson would absolutely blowout ND I think there is a possibility there too.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
This is certainly new heights for the ISU football program regardless of the outcome. Let's keep this train rolling!!!

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
If Clemson losses again and Iowa State wins I think we are absolutely in the discussion. Also, if Clemson would absolutely blowout ND I think there is a possibility there too.

If Clemson loses and Northwestern shocks the world, we have to be in the discussion.
Really, we'd have to be in the playoff, but there's an SEC team there, so it's hard to see them jumping us past that, even though they should.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, we need Ohio State eliminated from the conversation. Do not give them a chance with the committee.

Notre Dame "proving it" against Clemson with Lawrence would be the best outcome for us, though, even if not 100% necessary for us to have a case or a shot at it. It would just create another open berth.

In that world, you have Alabama and Notre Dame for sure and these groups lobbying for the last two slots...

Clemson = 9-2 with two losses to ND but hey guys we've been really good the last decade
Ohio State = 5-1 yeah we only played six games and we lost one of them but come on we're Ohio State
Texas A&M = 7-1, really good season, but already lost to Alabama and didn't win their division
Iowa State = 9-2 with a Big 12 championship, one okayish early season loss and then a close one to Oky St.
Florida = 8-3 or 9-2, might have a case for a slot if they beat Alabama and are SEC champions at 9-2

I suppose these two would make an argument, as well, but I think it is clear the committee doesn't care...

Cincinnati = 8-0 another iteration of the UCF problem
Coastal Carolina = 11-0 another version of this only with an even weaker schedule

I am surprised there isn't at least even *a little* buzz for what could be a 6-0 Southern Cal, too.

I think we'd be one of the stronger options on that menu, but this could get very contentious.
A Louisiana win against Coastal Carolina would be a good thing as well for our resume.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
If Clemson loses and Northwestern shocks the world, we have to be in the discussion.
Really, we'd have to be in the playoff, but there's an SEC team there, so it's hard to see them jumping us past that, even though they should.
To me if this team goes into Dallas and beats Oklahoma 31-21. We are going to be in if Clemson or Ohio State losses. We will absolutely jump A&M with a win against Oklahoma by double digits.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
To me if this team goes into Dallas and beats Oklahoma 31-21. We are going to be in if Clemson or Ohio State losses. We will absolutely jump A&M with a win against Oklahoma by double digits.

I've been in this camp ever since FL lost. A&M got absolutely boat raced by Bama in the regular season and has one quality win. Even with two losses Iowa States resume absolutely kills A&M's.

• Winner
Reactions: motorcy90

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I just don't see how the committee could drop ND below us or outside of the top 4 with a loss to Clemson! That would be a split between the teams (yes, Lawrence didn't play in game 1) and it would take a ton of reasoning for the committee to defend that decision and they don't seem to want to do that!

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I really don't think the public has an appetite for a THIRD Clemson vs ND game.

Or Bama vs A&M. Keep in mind though that the committee would be able to shuffle Clemson and ND so that one of them is 2/3 and the other is 4 so the only way a rematch occurs is in the championship game and neither one of these teams are beating Bama in the first round.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I just don't see how the committee could drop ND below us or outside of the top 4 with a loss to Clemson! That would be a split between the teams (yes, Lawrence didn't play in game 1) and it would take a ton of reasoning for the committee to defend that decision and they don't seem to want to do that!

With a close loss they absolutely stay in but if Clemson would blow them out then I can definitely see them falling out. That would put a HUGE asterisk on the regular season win over Clemson.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Also, if Ohio State plays poorly against NW and still wins in a close game I think there is a possibility they fall out but they would have to look really bad. The fact that everyone has them penciled in with so few data points is an absolute joke.

• Winner
Reactions: motorcy90

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
A Louisiana win against Coastal Carolina would be a good thing as well for our resume.

Yeah, every little bit helps. Louisiana getting a little payback on Coastal Carolina and winning their conference...

1608231623085.png

...makes that loss, which is still not an awful one, look incrementally better.

I really don't think the public has an appetite for a THIRD Clemson vs ND game.

You figure they would only play again in the national championship.

But if they have split 1-1, I have to think both make it. Clemson is probably out with a loss.

I think ND might still be in with a L in the ACC championship at 10-1.

I think AL and ND are already locks at this point -- we are competing for the remaining two.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
With a close loss they absolutely stay in but if Clemson would blow them out then I can definitely see them falling out. That would put a HUGE asterisk on the regular season win over Clemson.

I get what you are saying...but realistically I just don't see the committee having the appetite to do that! Depending upon how the game turned out I think it would a 30+ point differential for the committee to even bring it up! The committee will see numbers and there are ND fans all over the country that will tune in to a game 3 in the playoffs. I don't want that to happen...just see it as the likely scenario. I do believe Clemson is a much better team than ND...I am just hoping somehow, someway ND can find a way to win this weekend and then we can avoid game 3!

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
OU will be motivated as hell after being snubbed on Big 12 awards

OU will be our toughest remaining opponent, bowl, playoffs or otherwise (save Alabama).

OU is going to be loaded for bear, they know us and they are not giving up ownership of the Big XII easily. If we can win the CGG we deserve everything else we get.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
OU will be our toughest remaining opponent, bowl, playoffs or otherwise (save Alabama).

OU is going to be loaded for bear, they know us and they are not giving up ownership of the Big XII easily. If we can win the CGG we deserve everything else we get.
I hope ISU is in this conversation every year. This is truly fun!