Yahoo Sports Story on Matt Campbell

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I know this. Just like Blum and Williams shared on their podcast, if you could pick either the Cyclones Fball program or Michigan's, and your goal in the next 3 years is a conf championship or a playoff birth, where would you rather be?
A). ISU - NFL level quarterback in Brock, 2021 Heisman candidate in Breece Hall, a defense that is ready to dominate every weekend
B). MI - questions all over the place on offense including QB Joe Milton, the entire offense, and the defense looking like a bunch of overrated princesses right now

*You can go to to MI they had a great tradition over 25 years ago. But let's be straight that is a 3 year + rebuild job. Stay here and you don't have to undertake that huge task. Oh and one last thing, the **** you take here for not beating Iowa is about 5% of the scrutiny you receive at Ole Blue for not beating the Buckeyes

If i'm looking at this conference as ISU's coach I would say, OU will be OU (elite most years), OSU is a really solid program, TX has its advantages. But why can't iSU be competing year in and year out in the top 3 in the league. Makes you think (outside of pay) what really is a step up from here. I personally would hope he crushes it here 4 more years then takes over at a ND. To me that job is the midwest holy grail outside of OH state

Again, I think any coach with the ego necessary to be good, will think the they can win anywhere at anytime.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Again, I think any coach with the ego necessary to be good, will think the they can win anywhere at anytime.
I hear you, I just think Michigan is not a modern day blue blood, ala Nebraska. It just isn't. That's not to say MI doesn't have any advantages over us bc they do.

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
Ego or confidence.... Confidence will get you through a lot, an ego is about self while omitting others. I'd take confidence any day.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I loved the insight into CMC. I loved his regret about being at practice 3 hours after his first kid's birth. I understand that. It was a great story.

Only concern is, why did he give this insight to Pete Thamel vs a local guy? He seems like a really careful, thoughtful coach so maybe I'm over analyzing the story. Like maybe this is just a great opportunity for him and Iowa State, but I still have a nagging concern something else is going on. Or maybe this a message to other teams that like, hey, leave me alone, I love where I'm at?

I really like him. The team is good; I don't worry about off the field stuff; etc. So I don't want him to go.

A national write-up like this certainly can’t hurt with recruiting.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Ohio State, Notre Dame, and Michigan have always been the only 3 that I worry about him leaving to. In that order even.

Hopefully Michigan realizes this is a weird year and gives Harbaugh a break and a year to turn it around. Because next year... I can only get so erect thinking about it

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
Jeezus, I meant "fanbase" not fantasy. Screw it, I'm not changing it.
It may have been an autocorrect/Freudian slip but it doesn't make it less true.

Every season, my first tailgate is all about suspension of reality and dreaming about the pure fantasy of how this year could be the year we defy all odds and win a national championship. I adjust my expectations for the season as it unfolds. But it starts at 15 and 0 baby! Decades of following ISU hasn't killed that opening game optimism.

If the Cubs can win a world series, ISU can win a national championship.

To paraphrase CMC, I'm not going to put a limit on the potential of my team. I'm Clone to the Bone.

IIRC, CMC was asked about his experience the first time he traveled to Ames. His basic response was he has seen teams that were winning and couldn't draw the fan support ISU was drawing.

Fan support was a big part of why he came to ISU. Pollard had already done the heavy lifting to get fans to care.

In '04, with a shot at winning the Big 12 north and a birth in the championship game on the line, there was barely 25k fans in the stands regardless of the announced 40,626 paid tickets. I know this because most of my tailgate group didn't even bother to go into the game.

Pollard was actually improving facilities inspite of an insanely tight budget and decreasing state support the TOE received decades ago.

CMC knew he didn't have to fight an indifferent or hostile ISU administration, like the Robert Park's administration, or dedicate an insane amount of effort to get the off the field support he needed to succeed, like what Mac faced.

He just had to come in and coach while JP had his back.

That doesn't happen very often and CMC knows that. CMC values who he works for. That is why his buyout is based on Pollard being his AD.

Some day CMC will move on. But it will have to be for what CMC thinks is the "Right" job and CMC thinks he has done all he can do at ISU.

Last edited:

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Honestly, the part that had me most confident was him talking about re-evaluating priorities as he gets older (regretting being in the weight room a few hours after his wife had their first child), leaving early to go to his kid’s events, making sure coaches leave earlier to spend time with their families. That’s not happening if he goes to Michigan. At least not for the next five years or so.

Reactions: shadow

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Only concern is, why did he give this insight to Pete Thamel vs a local guy?

Not sure he trusted the local guys with this story. Some of them are good, some not so good. But I think Campbell wanted to make sure that this story got told properly.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I hear a lot of people say that "anyone would bolt for twice the salary."

I think Campbell would prefer to earn $3.5 mil per year in Ames for 20 years of support and success, than $7.0 mil per year in Ann Arbor for 10 years of grief and failure. And 10 years would be generous. He would be more likely to be earning max $0.5 mil as a defensive coordinator for half of those 10 years. No one, not even Harbaugh, can meet their expectations.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Anybody else catch the subtle reference to us in this quote?

"On that day back in 1999, he saw a group of 40 Mount Union football players walking down State Street after a voluntary workout for the Division III juggernaut. Campbell gazed in envy."

It was meant to be!

Reactions: Neptune78

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I've heard people talk about the unique way that Campbell relates to players. For instance, the trash talking with players. I've heard him publicly refer to Bailey as "Ding Dong Jaquan" or mocking Soehner for his arm strength on the TE to TE pass. Yet, it doesn't seem to cross the line of respect (like it seems to do for other "cool coaches" like Scott Frost and Kliff Kingsbury).

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
100 percent agree, look at jobs he could have had, Jets dumpster fire, Florida State a culture dumpster fire. I truly believe Ohio State is the only FBS job he would take, or a really good NFL job. I know that money talks but still.

Having Gone thru the Earle Bruce to Ohio State days...I really don't think that Matt Campbell will take the Michigan Job. He would be a lot better off to wait for the Ohio State Job....IMHO the best job in the country.

The Michigan Coaching Job is akin to the Nebraska Coaching Job ie the fanbase demands a Conference Title and a Natl Championship..... IMHO the Michigan Job is the Worst Job in the Big Ten aka little fourteen.

Reactions: dawgpound

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
This. We had some terrible teams and we’re still filling 90% of the stadium. Other teams across the country have one bad year and are giving away tickets. Go somewhere where winning is fun. A few 9-3 seasons at Michigan and you’re fired.

Lose to Ohio State a few times and your "Fired" no matter what your record is....

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Not sure he trusted the local guys with this story. Some of them are good, some not so good. But I think Campbell wanted to make sure that this story got told properly.
I think it’s simpler than that.

None of the “local guys” asked.

Rob could have told the story just fine.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
In '04, with a shot at winning the Big 12 north and a birth in the championship game on the line, there was barely 25k fans in the stands regardless of the announced 40,626 paid tickets. I know this because most of my tailgate group didn't even bother to go into the game.
Sadly, I was one of the no shows! I travelled from out of state for Thanksgiving and planned on going to the game. Woke up on Saturday Morning to freezing rain at a sideways angle, walked backed in the house, took off my coat, sat down, drank some more coffee and waited for the game on ABC.

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
I read the article, but haven't read the whole thread, so I apologise if this has been covered, but the fact he addresses the poor play at the end of the year in previous seasons shows so much confidence. He knows that we know that we finished so poorly last year. He doesn't ******** us and give us coach- speak; he's looking for solutions. That says a lot to me.