Iowa's Best Burger Contest 2020 - and the winner is ....

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Mrs. Beebee, previously of the Beebeetown Beebees, used to lead us preschoolers in such favorites as Jesus Loves Me, on Sundays. She also taught 8th grade literature. She once gave me a high score on a poem of mine.

On these various Iowa maps, Beebeetown shows up in 1968, related to construction of the interstates in that area, as you can see:

But it was always there.

Some early history of Beebeetown:

With its own exit on Interstate 880, Beebeetown was mentioned in the 1970s pop hit, At the Old Home Filler Up and Keep On a Truckin Cafe, by C.W. McCall. McCall (not his real name), was an Audubon native and Omaha advertising exec, who produced several popular commercials like this one:

I read somewhere, that these were so popular, that the DM Register used to include scheduled airings in their television guide.

Below is a scenic overlook, high on a hill, with views of the surrounding Loess Hills and overlooking the wide, flat Missouri River Valley — right on I-880, a mini-rest area — west of the Beebeetown exit. It is actually closer to Loveland. But somewhere people here might want to stop ...

1600718883587.png

I think it includes a plaque with local history, including Abraham Lincoln's visit to Council Bluffs in 1859, on private business, related to the Panic of 1857. Here is recent news article about that visit— including a funny joke by Lincoln, about a special meal the community had prepared, but which was stolen by a gang of marauders:

1600719091957.png

Not many people live right there, and it is probably one of the least traveled sections of Interstate in Iowa. I believe I read that the chairman of the Iowa highway commission at the time was from Sioux City, which compared to the main I80 path, it obviously relates to.

It was recently renamed Interstate 880, to replace 680— to avoid confusion with the Interstate segment that goes across north and then west Omaha, as you continue to go west from there (after a stretch on I29). This was to avoid confusion, such as resulted last year during the last major Missouri River flooding— when much of I29 was under water.

I-880 is longer for most people but in a way more scenic, as it cuts directly across the Loess Hills, which get bigger and more rugged as you get closer to the Missouri River. These hills were formed by the westerly winds picking up soil from the wide Missouri River bottom at the end of the last Ice Age about 12,000 years ago. A lot of the water would have come from the Des Moines lobe of the Wisconsin Glacier, which stopped in present day Des Moines.

If, in contrast, you stay strictly on I80 going west, where it goes southwest towards Council Bluffs-Omaha, it is all flat and along creek bottom.

Here is an article on the award and the story on the Twisted Tail:

Last edited:

statsaholic

May 17, 2006
Sloan, Iowa
Congrats to Luke and the rest of the Spencer family in Beebeetown. (note, it is all one word). Twisted tail is a great place to eat.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Beebeetown sounds like either an odd euphemism or some offbrand cartoon town

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
How does the nomination/testing happen? It’s weird that there aren’t any repeat finalists year over year.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
How does the nomination/testing happen? It’s weird that there aren’t any repeat finalists year over year.
This is from the Register’s article
In February, about 7,000 people voted online for their favorite burgers at 630 Iowa restaurants. In March, the top 10 restaurants were named, and three anonymous judges visited the restaurants, scoring burgers on their taste, doneness and presentation.

The final judging occurred in August and September, the association says. ...

Reactions: AgronAlum

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Nominating is just on line voting to get the top 10. I believe it is a panel of 6? secret judges that go to the restaurants and try a burger. High score wins. Iowa cattleman's association sponsors the whole thing. A more detailed description is probably on their website. (Don't know for sure didn't ck before posting this.) Edit it is 3 judges.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Never even heard of Beebee town.

None of the 4 roads leading out of town go through another town. They end at highway intersections. Missouri Valley west- ends on the south side of Missouri Valley if you turn the correct place, Logan north Highway 30 east of Logan , Neola southeast, Persia northeast are all the closest. The road east out of town is gravel it ends on Highway 191 north of Tri Center School

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Surprisingly Google street view still shows the old dilapidated bar that is now the Twisted Tail. They had a toilet in 2 separate closets and a shared sink on the wall outside of the two closets.

Beebeetown.JPG

When they first purchased the property they cleaned out the garage on the left and put in a makeshift bar and a couple of restrooms and opened that up. Then they renovated the exterior of the building.
I went by one day and saw the exterior had been renovated so I stopped to check it out and saw they had the bar in the garage. I went in, bought a beer and he took me inside the gutted building and told me what they were planning. He said they updated the exterior first just so people would notice and stop by to find out what was going on.

Reactions: NWICY

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Surprisingly Google street view still shows the old dilapidated bar that is now the Twisted Tail. They had a toilet in 2 separate closets and a shared sink on the wall outside of the two closets.

View attachment 75713

When they first purchased the property they cleaned out the garage on the left and put in a makeshift bar and a couple of restrooms and opened that up. Then they renovated the exterior of the building.
I went by one day and saw the exterior had been renovated so I stopped to check it out and saw they had the bar in the garage. I went in, bought a beer and he took me inside the gutted building and told me what they were planning. He said they updated the exterior first just so people would notice and stop by to find out what was going on.
It’s stuff like this that make Rural America awesome

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Nominating is just on line voting to get the top 10. I believe it is a panel of 6? secret judges that go to the restaurants and try a burger. High score wins. Iowa cattleman's association sponsors the whole thing. A more detailed description is probably on their website. (Don't know for sure didn't ck before posting this.) Edit it is 3 judges.
Close! Sponsored by the Iowa Beef Industry Council (the information and promotion organization) and the Iowa Cattlemen's Association (the producer organization) and self-promotion by restaurants is encouraged.

This is an annual opportunity. Here's the link to the 2020 announcement https://www.iabeef.org/about-us/newsroom/news/details/16618/search-begins-for-iowas-best-burger

• Informative

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
It's sad how many burgers I pay $10 for and afterwards say "A two buck burger at McDonalds would have been just as satisfying"

I agree with this general sentiment, but think you're exaggerating a tad when you say 'two buck'. (Single) Quarter pounder with cheese (sandwich only) is >$4 now.. f'in inflation..

Unless you're talking ones you make yourself - then you're absolutely right.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
....and the winner is me!! 1/2 lb 80/20 ground beef burgers with my 50/50 kosher salt and pepper mix, grilled brioche bun, garden fresh tomato, kosher dill slices, yellow onion, two slices of American cheese. ketchup, yellow mustard, romaine lettuce and the topper is the sweet pickled garden peppers. Green & red jalapenos/hatch/serrano/habanero peppers along with some red onion. 14 pints of this pickled pepper combo will hopefully last me a year. They are great on brats, pizza, chili, spaghetti. Sweet and a little heat!

Capture.JPG

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Mrs. Beebee, previously of the Beebeetown Beebees, used to lead us preschoolers in such favorites as Jesus Loves Me, on Sundays. She also taught 8th grade literature. She once gave me a high score on a poem of mine.

On these various Iowa maps, Beebeetown shows up in 1968, related to construction of the interstates in that area, as you can see:

But it was always there.

Some early history of Beebeetown:

With its own exit on Interstate 880, Beebeetown was mentioned in the 1970s pop hit, At the Old Home Filler Up and Keep On a Truckin Cafe, by C.W. McCall. McCall (not his real name), was an Audubon native and Omaha advertising exec, who produced several popular commercials like this one:

I read somewhere, that these were so popular, that the DM Register used to include scheduled airings in their television guide.

Below is a scenic overlook, high on a hill, with views of the surrounding Loess Hills and overlooking the wide, flat Missouri River Valley — right on I-880, a mini-rest area — west of the Beebeetown exit. It is actually closer to Loveland. But somewhere people here might want to stop ...

View attachment 75707

I think it includes a plaque with local history, including Abraham Lincoln's visit to Council Bluffs in 1859, on private business, related to the Panic of 1857. Here is recent news article about that visit— including a funny joke by Lincoln, about a special meal the community had prepared, but which was stolen by a gang of marauders:

View attachment 75708

Not many people live right there, and it is probably one of the least traveled sections of Interstate in Iowa. I believe I read that the chairman of the Iowa highway commission at the time was from Sioux City, which compared to the main I80 path, it obviously relates to.

It was recently renamed Interstate 880, to replace 680— to avoid confusion with the Interstate segment that goes across north and then west Omaha, as you continue to go west from there (after a stretch on I29). This was to avoid confusion, such as resulted last year during the last major Missouri River flooding— when much of I29 was under water.

I-880 is longer for most people but in a way more scenic, as it cuts directly across the Loess Hills, which get bigger and more rugged as you get closer to the Missouri River. These hills were formed by the westerly winds picking up soil from the wide Missouri River bottom at the end of the last Ice Age about 12,000 years ago. A lot of the water would have come from the Des Moines lobe of the Wisconsin Glacier, which stopped in present day Des Moines.

If, in contrast, you stay strictly on I80 going west, where it goes southwest towards Council Bluffs-Omaha, it is all flat and along creek bottom.

Here is an article on the award and the story on the Twisted Tail:

I took my youngest son, now 25 years old, to that look out when he was 4-5 years old and we dropped superballs off of that lookout over the Missouri River bottom. He was always amazed when younger by "bouncy balls". I found an old bouncy ball in some old hostas cleaning up a few weeks ago. I will give it to him for Christmas.

Reactions: NWICY and Clone83