Friday OT #1 - Ungrateful Dead

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I'll contribute two farm-related ones since we can all agree that farming is not the safest occupation.

While loading corn into the silo, I decided leaning over the pto shaft to grab a grain shovel. Fortunately, I was wearing a really old shirt because about .25 of a second later, I was standing there shirtless watching my shredded shirt whip around.

While putting up fence, I would put the creosote covered posts in place and lock them in the post driver before my dad pounded them in place from the tractor. One time, as I bent over to grab the next post, something broke loose at the top. The post driver hinged loose and landed about 3 inches next to me. The weight of that thing would have easily killed me.
That happened to a guy that lived on my dorm floor over Xmas break. Except his coveralls got caught in the PTO. He was big into lifting weights and that probably saved him, as he actually held himself off of the shaft, but wound up in his underwear with a broken leg.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I lived with some buddies in an old farmhouse outside of Madrid. There was a little county park across the highway where we would go play frisbee and drink or other things. We had our two labs and the neighbor's dog came along for the ride. One friend (in fact the same one that stopped the farm hand) was driving us back from the park, and he was feeling no pain.

He had the truck floored down this gravel road, and he keeps glancing over at me. No seatbelt. I knew he was effing with me, but when I saw we wouldn't get stopped before the highway intersection, I grabbed the dash board and then he locked em up.

We slid all the way across the highway and were nose down looking into a 30 foot ditch. The three dogs came slamming into the back of the cab. Thank God no cars were coming.

My daughters always say "was that the 10th or 11th time you almost died?"

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Almost drowned when I was 5. On vacation at Six Flags in St. Louis, in the hotel pool, wandered to the deep end, dad was supposed to be watching me but apparently was distracted by all the bikinis, just remember seeing tons of little bubbles flowing up the opposite direction as my body was moving as I kicked. Dad's arm finally plunged in and yanked me up and out. The pool was packed so I'm lucky I was noticed down there. The verbal asskicking my mom delivered to him that day was legend. I'm now 48 and every now and then when the family is together he still catches sh*t for watching the bikinis instead of me.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
That happened to a guy that lived on my dorm floor over Xmas break. Except his coveralls got caught in the PTO. He was big into lifting weights and that probably saved him, as he actually held himself off of the shaft, but wound up in his underwear with a broken leg.
That happened to wife's grandfather. He had his overalls on. It took some time for the overalls to finally be ripped from his body. I'm sure that no one has ever been so relieved to be naked outside. He was bruised all over his entire body so badly he couldn't sit or lie down. I have no idea how he got any sleep for the next week.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Five of us in a 74 Malibu going up what was called "rush hill" steep going up and steep going down. Well our friend that was driving didn't know about it so kept asking us were it was at and we told him to keep going. We were doing around 65-70 on a gravel road and when we got to the top me and another guy put our hand on the roof and kind of braced ourselves for the landing. Well.... in General Lee fashion we had to have been at least 5' if not more off the ground which seemed like we were airborne for at least 5 minutes. When we hit, it shook us all up, guy if front beer can went all over. Us to that were braced were fine. It was one of those, "Holy Sh#t!!" moments.

Next day the we found out that the guy's car had two broken shocks, two broken motor mounts and three cracked spark plugs. I guess when we got in the car we had the weight distributed pretty well as when we landed, we hit on all four tires about the same time. The good Lord was with us that day as it could have ended badly for us.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I lived with some buddies in an old farmhouse outside of Madrid. There was a little county park across the highway where we would go play frisbee and drink or other things. We had our two labs and the neighbor's dog came along for the ride. One friend (in fact the same one that stopped the farm hand) was driving us back from the park, and he was feeling no pain.

He had the truck floored down this gravel road, and he keeps glancing over at me. No seatbelt. I knew he was effing with me, but when I saw we wouldn't get stopped before the highway intersection, I grabbed the dash board and then he locked em up.

We slid all the way across the highway and were nose down looking into a 30 foot ditch. The three dogs came slamming into the back of the cab. Thank God no cars were coming.

My daughters always say "was that the 10th or 11th time you almost died?"

Just an observation: sounds like this person was an idiot and cruel to animals.

Reactions: Angie

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
Almost drowned when I was 5. On vacation at Six Flags in St. Louis, in the hotel pool, wandered to the deep end, dad was supposed to be watching me but apparently was distracted by all the bikinis, just remember seeing tons of little bubbles flowing up the opposite direction as my body was moving as I kicked. Dad's arm finally plunged in and yanked me up and out. The pool was packed so I'm lucky I was noticed down there. The verbal asskicking my mom delivered to him that day was legend. I'm now 48 and every now and then when the family is together he still catches sh*t for watching the bikinis instead of me.

Something very similar happened to my daughter when she was about 1 and a half I think. We were at a hotel swimming pool with some family and we all went straight to a table to take our shoes and stuff off. Luckily out of the corner of my eye I see my daughter walk to the edge of the pool and step in the deep end of the pool. I rushed over and grabbed her ankle just before it got out of reach and pulled her out. Had to slap her back a couple times to get the water out of her lungs.

Also had to do baby heimlich on my son when he was about the same age. He started laughing with a bite of pizza in his mouth. He suddenly stopped laughing and almost instantly turned blue.

Those were two times when hearing my babies cry was like music to my ears, because it meant they were fine and could breathe.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
When I was about 10 had a school mate who did fur trapping. Seemed like he was making good money with beavers and musk rat etc. Found a couple traps in our garage and my younger brother and I and a neighbor (in our same class) set out for our timber bottom land one early spring afternoon after school. Got to the drainage ditch and set the traps and headed back. The neighbor followed the ditch around to the field then up the hill towards the highway and home. I decided it would be shorter to cut across the timber. You guessed it - we got lost.

They organized a search party and found us about 3:30AM or so. It was 20's temp so we could have definitely died of exposure or fell into some deep hole under ice etc.

Side story. My dad's parents about 25 miles away were listening to the radio the next morning and the news came on about some kids in the community where we lived getting lost in the timber. My grandparents said something like, "That sounds like something (My Dad's Kids) would do." Then they gave our names and they were shocked to be right.

Last edited:
Reactions: NWICY and Angie

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I had a pretty significant neck injury when I was in third grade. It was a lingering and ongoing one with a good deal of pain, which the doctors thought was soft tissue, but it turned out to be in my spine.

I could have died pretty easily with one hard tackle on the playground.

This was before the real heyday of MRI and CAT scan machines, so the surgeons in charge of me almost operated for "exploratory" reasons. That seems crazy to think of now, but that was how it worked in 1995.

They decided to hold off. Put me in a cast and see if it would heal on the X-ray. It slowly did. I missed much of the school year and they almost held me back, so I soldiered on and... here I am.

I had to wear a neck brace for three years. I was told to avoid all contact sports... so I never played football and quit basketball and baseball as soon as things started to get remotely "rough" like they did.

Didn't end up affecting me much in the long-term, but it was touch-and-go for my parents at the time.

• Friendly

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Not me but my younger brother ingested and choked on a pine cone (from the Christmas tree) when he was ~20 months old. Apparently he was very blue and got to spend Christmas in the hospital.

Same child was also literally dropped down the stairs by my oldest sister as a baby.

Surprisingly, he might actually be the smartest out of all of 4 us (despite being dumb as a box of rocks at times).

• Wow

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Nothing scary or adventurous like some of these stories!
Some of you may even remember it as word about it spread through RTT and mafia while I was in the hospital. About 6 years ago I went to the ER with severe abdominal cramping from what they described as a "rockpile" of kidney stones blocking outflow. They put in a catheter to drain it but not quickly enough, and I ended up with gram negative sepsis. Four days in the hospital from which I remember almost nothing, and mega doses of IV antibiotics. Came out of it okay, but did not realize how touch & go it was at the time. Not until a long conversation with my urologist a couple of weeks later when he told me I was "lucky". Didn't feel so lucky at the time!

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I don't remember this so idk all the details but my dad tells the story like this:

He was working on an old garage door with my uncle and as they were working a spring shot out (never do garage door work just hire someone). Apparently my dads arms were down by his side and the garage took of the tip of his middle finger. As this happened apparently me and my sister were running down the hill to go see him and my uncle. Had we been a little sooner and standing near there that spring would have taken us out.

• Wow

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
High school me was an idiot. One Friday night after partying, I was driving home wasted. I must have passed out, because the next thing I remember was a car honking his horn as he passed me on the right going the opposite way on a two-lane road.

It shouldn't have taken that, but I have not driven after drinking since.

This makes me want to go back and punch teeanaged me in the face many, many times. I was lucky to not have anything bad happen but man what an idiot I was.

• Agree
Reactions: AgronAlum and Angie

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Well mine are pretty dull compared to some of these. Was out looking looking for cattle along a fence line riding a 4wheeler pushing tall horseweeds ahead of it. unknown to me a wash had cut into the field next thing I know I'm hanging upside down in the wash thinking this is going to hurt, landed in the bottom of the wash luckily the 4 wheeler got stuck n the top when it flipped. walked down the wash probably 25 yards or so before I could get out.

2nd time I was out skiing after finishing a shift at Afton Alps skiing along a ravine edge caught an edge and ended up in the bottom of the ravine probably 30 ft down. my head was between a stump and the water pipe for the snow guns. Buddy of mine came along and found my one ski standing upright on the edge of the trail from where I buried the ski tip and the binding let go.

• Friendly