Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Last night I went to daughter's soccer game at another high school. She is playing on the B team (below JV) so they aren't playing in the stadium. However this school's grass field backs right up to the parking lot so some parents park and sit in their cars and watch. There is a chainlink fence all around the field and the fans are expected to sit outside the fence. We were sitting along the sunny side of the pitch which is just a few feet from the sidewalk next to a street. Just as the game is starting a very loud lifted pickup goes by with a giant political flag flying over the bed of it. Not that big of a deal except the flag has profanity on it in very large letters. So what, right? Except that the truck turns into the high school parking lot and backs into a parking space right behind one of the goals. Fortunately there was a breeze last night so everyone could read the profanity on the flag the entire game. After the game the other team's keeper gets into the truck and her (apparently) dad drives her away.

Does anyone else find that totally inappropriate for high school athletics?

Profanity is the language of the uneducated. (Or so my Dad used to say.)

And yeah, I find the use of public profanity to be inappropriate in general.

• Agree
Reactions: SaraV and ScottyP

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
After being pounded with these Ernst/Greenfield ads, I would find it better if they just took those millions of dollars and bought votes right now. We could all get probably a hundred bucks at least and not have to deal with these incessant commercials.
Being that Council Bluffs gets TV out of Omaha, we are getting bombarded by Ernst - Greenfield and Bacon - Eastman ads non stop.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Leaving at noon today for God's country (Wisconsin). Going to meet up with my hunting buddies, play some golf, watch the Packer game Sunday, have a few toddies, catch a fish fry, etc. But we'll be safe - can't take the risk of catching COVID.

This would normally be the time of year I go to Lambeau Field - but that may have to wait until later in the season.

Anyway, I'll wave at everybody on my way through - CG, Woo, Chaser, etc.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Leaving at noon today for God's country (Wisconsin). Going to meet up with my hunting buddies, play some golf, watch the Packer game Sunday, have a few toddies, catch a fish fry, etc. But we'll be safe - can't take the risk of catching COVID.

This would normally be the time of year I go to Lambeau Field - but that may have to wait until later in the season.

Anyway, I'll wave at everybody on my way through - CG, Woo, Chaser, etc.
Looks like great weather for the weekend, have a good time!

• Friendly
Reactions: SCyclone

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
My daughter and son are in different school districts.

The one my daughter is in (same as JC's kids) has been as on top of things as you could expect. She got her schedule in a timely manner, they had a plan for distance learning and for the hybrid model, they even were able to bring in tablets for pretty much every student who needed one even though they are hard to get right now.

My son's school district has been terrible. My son (middle school) got his schedule on Friday for the Monday start. The high schoolers didn't get their schedules until Sunday night! My son's schedule was messed up - they didn't satisfy some IEP requirements and he didn't get his first or second choice of electives. We tried to get someone to talk to us about it as soon as we got the schedule but when it was the middle of the last business day before school started of course we weren't going to be able reach anyone to fix it. When Mrs. Velo talked to the person at the school yesterday we learn that they didn't even start to put together schedules for students until 2 weeks before the first day of school (by hand). This is for a district of about 21,000 students. This is after they had to put in their schedule preferences well before the school year ended last spring. Now today she emails us and says that they have all sorts of problems with schedules and they won't even begin to address them until hybrid learning starts 2 weeks into the school year. So if my son does get his schedule changed like it should be he will likely be a month behind the rest of his Spanish class.

View attachment 75602
Our school district hasn't been perfect but they aren't that far behind. The other district also had the issue where the board rejected the administration's plans for the start of school. At my wife's school, one AP spent the summer measuring classrooms for social distancing. However, he forgot about the Special Ed classrooms. The 2 weeks of only distance learning came in handy in this case. Also, are you the guy that shows up for soccer games with an ISU window sticker and 2 dogs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron