Woodworkers Thread

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
WTF is going on here? Is the tape so it doesn’t fly apart?

I am filling in a rotten section with epoxy resin. I tried taping it up and it leaked so I wrapped it in a bag and hopefully that seals up. Probably going to take two or three pours to get it done.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny

What kind of wood and what’d you use for finish on the table? I’m not even to the newbie level of woodworking but I like the look of that. I tried doing a desk for the kids and it turned out ok with the stain but the oil based polyurethane didn’t turn out how I wanted. I couldn’t get it to not have bubbles as well it was damn tough to get it to finish evenly. Watched a bunch of YouTube videos on it prior (which is probably the problem) but just could never get it to turn out exactly how I wanted.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I am filling in a rotten section with epoxy resin. I tried taping it up and it leaked so I wrapped it in a bag and hopefully that seals up. Probably going to take two or three pours to get it done.

Ahhh I gotcha. Just got confused with it already mounted on the lathe. What’s the end goal? Are you worried about a rotted piece coming apart when turning it?

I love working on lathes but haven’t invested in one because other stuff was and is a bigger need.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
What kind of wood and what’d you use for finish on the table? I’m not even to the newbie level of woodworking but I like the look of that. I tried doing a desk for the kids and it turned out ok with the stain but the oil based polyurethane didn’t turn out how I wanted. I couldn’t get it to not have bubbles as well it was damn tough to get it to finish evenly. Watched a bunch of YouTube videos on it prior (which is probably the problem) but just could never get it to turn out exactly how I wanted.

The table is made of two inch solid oak. The finish is actually a General Finishes water based stain with around seven coats of a Varathane water based poly. I don’t like using oil based on red oak because it soaks into the pores and just seeps for hours. The water based is quite a bit more difficult to apply evenly but it can be reapplied every two hours or so. That’s a lot of time saved when doing nine coats of stain and poly. If you do go water based, be sure to use a prestain to raise the grain first and sand it off.

You’re probably getting bubbles from working the poly too much during application. You have to trust the poly to settle on its own (and it will) and not overwork it trying to remove brush marks. Novice woodworkers almost always overwork the poly thinking what you see at application will be how it dries. That is far from the truth. The brush marks will settle and disappear as it dries. Overworking it absolutely will create bubbles.

I’ve also had bubbles show from using the wrong/crappy brushes during application. A good brush with the proper firmness is a life saver. Be sure to read up ahead of time on cleaning brushes if you’re using an oil based finish or it can get expensive throwing good brushes away. If using water based, it’s just rinsing it out the sink.

Sorry for the novel.

Last edited:

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Ahhh I gotcha. Just got confused with it already mounted on the lathe. What’s the end goal? Are you worried about a rotted piece coming apart when turning it?

I love working on lathes but haven’t invested in one because other stuff was and is a bigger need.

With this one it’s for structural reasons. Once I got it round I found a bunch of splits and the pith was pretty sketchy.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Maybe counts as a woodworking project. My wife and FIL ripped out a cabinet on a Saturday morning when I was at work. They were trying to move a cabinet and microwave over the stove but it led to all this. They didn’t remove a screw on the pantry and it tore out the side of the cabinet. This is the solution. The white stuff is all new.

View attachment 75340
View attachment 75344
View attachment 75346
View attachment 75343

In pic #1, is that a coffee bean roaster next to the coffee maker?

jabisu

Aug 25, 2012
I had a couple ash trees cut down today that were victims of the storm last month. I have 4 maybe 5 good sized logs I want milled to workable lumber. Any recommendations for somewhere around Ames/DM that mills and kiln dries it? I already have a couple hundred board feet of ash that was cut down last year air drying in my dads barn, but would like this available sooner. The guy I had do the milling last year was super cheap but doesn’t have drying capabilities.

Also anyone here use ash before? The little research I’ve done it sounds like it is similar to oak in workability and look.

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
The Log Dawgs in Cambridge do custom milling and have a kiln. I have reached out to them in the past about the milling, they charge $100 per hour to mill, but I don't know what they charge for drying.
www.thelogdawgs.com

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
What’s everyone’s choice for an oil based stain? I’ve read minwax seeps more on red oak because of a certain compound in it. I have a table I’m building that might be prone to get wet and I want to use an oil based top coat.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
What’s everyone’s choice for an oil based stain? I’ve read minwax seeps more on red oak because of a certain compound in it. I have a table I’m building that might be prone to get wet and I want to use an oil based top coat.

I mentioned it before but my first time ever doing any staining and/or topcoat, we used an pipe based poly topcoat. I cut it with mineral spirits and had a nice brush but I still got some air bubbles in it. For my first time I don’t think it turned out bad but if I were to do it again, I might try water based and/or get a-poly with less of a sheen to it.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I had a couple ash trees cut down today that were victims of the storm last month. I have 4 maybe 5 good sized logs I want milled to workable lumber. Any recommendations for somewhere around Ames/DM that mills and kiln dries it? I already have a couple hundred board feet of ash that was cut down last year air drying in my dads barn, but would like this available sooner. The guy I had do the milling last year was super cheap but doesn’t have drying capabilities.

Also anyone here use ash before? The little research I’ve done it sounds like it is similar to oak in workability and look.
Ash is a lower price substitute for Oak. I haven't done much personally but we use Ash and Hackberry instead of Oak at work. Especially if you apply a finish. If clear coating, Oak may be better choice.

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA

My go to for oak is danish oil with general finishes arm r seal poly on top.

Reactions: AgronAlum

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Starting to pick up a bunch of side jobs lately, not only woodworking, but just fixing stuff for people. Building a laundry table and shelves for someone on CF, neighbor wants me to replace some hardy plank, another person install screen door, a mantle/fireplace stone/built ins for someone else... I’ve always had a tough time charging a real hourly rate because I’m doing stuff I would never pay anyone else to do for me. It has taken me awhile to realize that some people just can’t or won’t do it and will pay.

What do you guys charge to make stuff for people?

The latest is some makeshift shiplap for behind a mirror/vanity. The faucet was too close to the wall for the 1 by shiplap, so I routed some slots in a piece of 3/8 ply. It took about an hour and a half for setup, cut and sand. I have no idea what I should charge or what a normal person would pay.

D7931303-C564-4812-B546-4813F2F25A87.jpeg

Last edited:

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Made a little trip to the compost site this morning with my chainsaw and snagged some burls to turn. An hour running that saw reminded me why I went to college instead of taking over the family sawmill. View attachment 75921

I spent a day and half straight running a saw for family and friends after Derecho. Maybe it’s because I don’t get to do it very often, but I ******* loved it (as much as you can when cleaning up a disaster like that). I guess running the saw beats carrying it all to the street.

I’m excited to see what you make from those burls.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: BuffettClone

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I spent a day and half straight running a saw for family and friends after Derecho. Maybe it’s because I don’t get to do it very often, but I ******* loved it (as much as you can when cleaning up a disaster like that). I guess running the saw beats carrying it all to the street.

I’m excited to see what you make from those burls.
I was thinking about running down to CR and just hunting burls in the piles of debris, I just never had a free afternoon to do it. I need to have my saw tuned up before I get it out again though. It's been sitting for a couple years and it just seems down on power. That saw is older than I am though so it might need a complete rebuild.

jabisu

Aug 25, 2012

I found a place just west of Ames - Breezy Hill sawmill. I think I saw somewhere he charges $50/hr for cutting alone. just got home with a little over 500 board feet of ash plus a little hackberry I didn’t realize got mixed in for under $200. I found one place in Earlham and one in Belle Plaine that kiln dries even if they don’t mill it for $0.50-0.60 per board foot. Now I just need to figure out what I’m going to make with it and more importantly the time to do it.

Side note, just got in from stacking it, open up Facebook as I’m eating lunch and discover the guy that runs the sawmill is tomorrow’s “Hero of the Game”, so maybe he is even someone on here.
4F68AD97-78B9-4E42-98E6-F181ED8362B2.jpeg

Reactions: wintersmd

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron