On That Note: Achtung Baby

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
i'm really weird but i can't watch reality, talent, or game shows because i feel they drag things out way too long. i love well-done documentaries where there is a clear purpose to everything. i have the same taste in podcasts; let's learn something and get to the point.

Edit - wow I'm listening, so these guys remember specific journalist's names from the late 80's? Sometimes I feel like I haven't really experienced life as richly as others. DO most people remember things like this? Geez.

I think they were both HUGE fans of U2's early stuff, and are both in their upper 40s - I think you obsess about music SO much when you're in high school and college, especially back when it wasn't so readily accessible? Adam Scott is an even bigger fan of REM than U2, so his knowledge there is craaaazy.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Doro (of the German metal band Warlock) with Unholy Love. I loved this song when it came out.

And the Peter Schilling song that was my favorite: The Different Story (World of Lust and Crime)

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
This was the only song that I could think of that has a reference to German in the lyrics: "Cause we'd all be speakin' German..."

Reactions: Cydar

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006
Dead Kennedys - California Uber Alles
From Wikipedia: The title is an allusion to the first stanza of the national anthem of Germany, which begins with the words "Deutschland, Deutschland über alles"

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018

The refrain in this is a popular chant for the soccer fans in Germany. I was in Germany in the summer of 2008 during the Euro Cup and our group went to one of the parks in Munich where they were showing the game on a projector. They sang this nearly non stop during the game stopping only to freak out when a goal was scored. Germany won the game, I forget which round it was, maybe semi-finals? but walking back to the hotel was interesting as there was a full on riot happening in the streets.