Tractor hydraulic question

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I have an old tractor (AC 5050) that the 3 point hitch arms won't work. The don't do anything. I can freely lift them up by hand and they just fall down. It has fluid and I've cleaned the filter. Any ideas where to look? I'm assuming it's a stuck valve somewhere but not really sure where to start.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I have an old tractor (AC 5050) that the 3 point hitch arms won't work. The don't do anything. I can freely lift them up by hand and they just fall down. It has fluid and I've cleaned the filter. Any ideas where to look? I'm assuming it's a stuck valve somewhere but not really sure where to start.
Have you cussed at it real loud and hit it with a rubber mallet with all your might?

My grandpa used to do that in situations like that on his farm and I’ll be damned if I haven’t seen that work more than once.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Have you cussed at it real loud and hit it with a rubber mallet with all your might?

My grandpa used to do that in situations like that on his farm and I’ll be damned if I haven’t seen that work more than once.
If that doesn’t work get a bigger hammer and try again

If you want real answers go to yesterdaystractors.com

Those guys are great. Many were former tractor mechanics

Reactions: 1100011CS

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Paint it a different color, any color will work better than that orange stuff. Pump may be out. Do the SCVs work?

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
as others have said do other functions work and it's just the 3pt? hydraulics can be a pain in the ass and simple all at the same time.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Since this is my day job I suppose I can give my 2 cents worth.
If it has power steering and you can turn the wheels your pump is probably fine.
My guess is you have a stuck spool on the control or your cylinder needs rebuilt.

Candide

Jan 4, 2020
Livin the Moon Times
I don't have anything to add to the actual question, but these guys at work bring in this classic tractor magazine and I absolutely love looking at it.

That being said, I would love to see some of everyone's favorite tractors.

I love love these because my Grandpa was a Massey man in Northeast Iowa when I was growing up:

1600222305593.png

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I love old tractors.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I don't have anything to add to the actual question, but these guys at work bring in this classic tractor magazine and I absolutely love looking at it.

I love love these because my Grandpa was a Massey man in Northeast Iowa when I was growing up:

View attachment 75573

First tractor I ever drove. You may not believe, but at age 5. I couldn't tie my shoes yet when I was driving it. Sitting in a shed and hasn't ran for five years. I need to pull it out and get it going again.
1600224997924.png

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
First tractor I ever drove. You may not believe, but at age 5. I couldn't tie my shoes yet when I was driving it. Sitting in a shed and hasn't ran for five years. I need to pull it out and get it going again.
View attachment 75576

My uncle had one of those; pulled us around the farm on a hay rack.

My bother has a fully restored 1937 John Deere B that's pretty sweet. Real tractors are green, and you can't beat that 2-cylinder Johnny Popperputt-putt-putt...

Reactions: Die4Cy and Candide

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
If it has power steering and you can turn the wheels your pump is probably fine.
My guess is you have a stuck spool on the control or your cylinder needs rebuilt.

I was going to mention this in my post but forgot. Good call.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I was going to mention this in my post but forgot. Good call.
That’s also making the assumption there is only one pump on the tractor. Now if we’re talking about a sort of modern row crow or 4wd that goes out the window. If it was me based on the floppy cylinder I’d put my money on needing to rebuild that first.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
It has power steering. I just figured that out this summer after wrestling with it all winter. It leaks like crazy so the reservoir where fluid for power steering goes in has to be filled often. It was dry when I found it early this spring. 'stuck spool' what/where is this?

In reply to others, all other functions work. PTO works, front end loader works but that's a completely different hydraulic system that runs of the PTO. THe 3pt hitch hydraulic pump is run directly off the engine and uses the transmission fluid.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown

View attachment 75573

You consider that old?

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
It has power steering. I just figured that out this summer after wrestling with it all winter. It leaks like crazy so the reservoir where fluid for power steering goes in has to be filled often. It was dry when I found it early this spring. 'stuck spool' what/where is this?

In reply to others, all other functions work. PTO works, front end loader works but that's a completely different hydraulic system that runs of the PTO. THe 3pt hitch hydraulic pump is run directly off the engine and uses the transmission fluid.

So the spool should be physically connected to the lever you use to lift the 3pt with on a tractor that old I think. I wouldn't think it would be electronically activated on that tractor. I could be way wrong about that though since I'm not really an old tractor guy.

You can find that spool by either looking at what your lever is connected to or following the hoses from your cylinder. It should look similar to the picture below.
1600261652060.png

• Informative
Reactions: 1100011CS

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006

View attachment 75573

Massey used to have a plant in Des Moines:

I don't recall the model, but in 1982 (the same year M-F got out of Des Moines), I ran one of these bad boys 15/16 hours a day, week after week, west of Randall/Story City:
1600263041104.png

It was a wet spring and we didn't get into the fields until something like May 25th. It was tiled, but still wet, probably some of the best cropland in Iowa. I would get as close as I could to the wet spots. Just once did I get so close that I almost got stuck. It took about 45 minutes to get out. The entire tractor pivoted in the middle when turning, so you could easily approach things from different angles. I was so happy. Besides the potential embarrassment, I was pretty far from anywhere and didn’t want have to walk. :D