Joel Klatt makes a case for the 2020 season

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
I like Klatt's perspective on things. Thought I would share.

Meh. He sums up the argument to play football this season, same argument that others have been making. Don't disagree or agree with him.....I can see both sides of the situation. I'd really like to see some of his sources on the studies he's quoting.....particularly the lightning strike bit.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I like Joel Klatt and appreciate his comments, but hoped he would make a stronger case for not cancelling the season. Yes, I'm desperate and looking for ropes to hold on to.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Meh. He sums up the argument to play football this season, same argument that others have been making. Don't disagree or agree with him.....I can see both sides of the situation. I'd really like to see some of his sources on the studies he's quoting.....particularly the lightning strike bit.

I do agree with a lot of the points he made but for some reason the lightning point jumped out to me as well so a quick google search noted that the odds of being struck by lightning in ones lifetime is 1/15,300 (weather.gov). I guess I don’t know what the odds are of the college age group getting the coronavirus and eitherpassing from it or developing serious complications that affect them the rest of their life but I would think that’s more likely

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Here's something to suggest he's full of it in his quest to get paid:

Reactions: Rural

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
I like Klatt's perspective on things. Thought I would share.

@ChrisMWilliams
When is your blog coming out about how populist leaders and perceived american exceptionalism have doomed this season? how the LACK of leadership trickles down into every part of our daily lives including our most cherished traditions? (or do you still have more passion about having to pay .25$ for a plastic bag in cali, this part is a joke)

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
A few decent points, but you can tell he still doesn’t “get it” at all.

First, you have to consider while listening to him that it’s entirely in his best interest for there to be football, so he’s totally biased.

And another very important point he doesn’t address is the school’s liability, and any permanent long term affects getting Covid might have on the body?

I would definitely not play if I were Trevor Lawrence. He has nothing to prove to anyone. But what if he got Covid and ended up with permanent lung damage and could no longer play football because of it?

I just don’t think Klatt did a serious analysis of all the possible ramifications of having a season this year.

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
Started out okay with #1,#2, and #3 than went to a right wing talk radio point with #4 and ended it like a Sara McLaughlin save the puppies commercial. :rolleyes:
Seriously, the claim that substance abuse cases have "doubled or even tripled in some cases" is just vague hand-wavy crap.

As to the mental health part, there are ways to support the players mental health without playing football. He is basically arguing that their entire existence is wrapped up in being a football player, and to take that away is somehow more of a death sentence that the risks of COVID.

• Winner
Reactions: dahliaclone

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Seriously, the claim that substance abuse cases have "doubled or even tripled in some cases" is just vague hand-wavy crap.

As to the mental health part, there are ways to support the players mental health without playing football. He is basically arguing that their entire existence is wrapped up in being a football player, and to take that away is somehow more of a death sentence that the risks of COVID.

Not any more vague than hand-wavy claims of long-term effects of COVID19. What are the long-term effects? How long is "long-term"? How many people are experiencing long term effects? What impact on the quality of life, or the length of life are the long term effects going to have? What percentage of people in each age group experience long term effects?