The MAC cancels its fall football season

kcbob79clone

Has Iowa State announced anything about the level of enrollment for the fall semester, this year compared to last?

I know this is a football discussion, but the financial impact and effect on the future of the University is a real problem. I think the numbers they have already announced on the whole University effect is over $150 million.

If you can't have games, how can you have students on campus?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Haven't we blown the EU away in number of tests performed?
I mean at some point once you've got the virus relatively under control you don't have to test as much. The more the virus is out of control the more people will be looking to get tested.

Europe did its job with tests early and combined with other measures to knock down the virus got this handled. We were bad with tests early and didn't commit to the things that we needed to to knock it down enough. So after a certain point we were going to be adding a lot more tests every week simply because we were more out of control

• Agree
Reactions: tzjung

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
If you can't have games, how can you have students on campus?

It's almost like we can weigh different things and their level of necessity. But keep in mind campus activity will be way way down this year. one of my sisters was telling me about her schedule at ISU this fall. Every class is online. I imagine that having either all or most classes online is probably the norm for most students this fall.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Clonedude and others would still say we couldn't play CFB

Not true at all. You haven't been paying attention to what I've been saying obviously.

Had we taken this virus seriously in the beginning and gotten it under "control", I definitely think we could have had football with a very limited number of fans in attendance.

But from the things I was seeing on TV in March, April, May, etc.... I knew this country had no chance whatsoever. We couldn't even follow the guidelines that the CDC and Trump himself laid out early on. Americans couldn't handle it. And so states started opening up in the spring while cases were still going up. They hadn't even started to plateau yet before Iowa opened back up again for instance.

So I knew we were screwed... and we were. I did NOT hope it would happen whatsoever. I even said back then that I hoped that I would be wrong. I was hoping that the scientists would be wrong and that this virus would somehow miraculously disappear without Americans doing anything to make that happen.... but realistically I just didn't see that happening.

I trust the scientists.... not politicians. So sue me.

Reactions: harimad

kcbob79clone

I mean at some point once you've got the virus relatively under control you don't have to test as much. The more the virus is out of control the more people will be looking to get tested.

Europe did its job with tests early and combined with other measures to knock down the virus got this handled. We were bad with tests early and didn't commit to the things that we needed to to knock it down enough. So after a certain point we were going to be adding a lot more tests every week simply because we were more out of control

We were bad with tests early on because we were told to stay home and not overwhelm the medical system. Even if we had symptoms we were TOLD to stay home.

Also, we did do what was needed and we flattened the curve but a virus is a virus and not easily knocked down, especially one that is supposedly easier to catch than the flu.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
I saw a study a while back that showed smokers were not getting the virus. I was looking for it to post the link but of course can't seem to find it. The jist was that they weren't sure if smokers weren't getting the virus or if they were just asymptomatic and therefore not being tested.

you saw correctly. Actually there are a few studies under way and it’s more looking at Nicotine as a potential inhibitor of a Covid. Nicotine binds to ACE receptors the same receptors Covid utilizes...So in theory makes sense that smokers appear to be less affected..oddly enough.

• Informative
Reactions: CyclonesRock

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
We were bad with tests early on because we were told to stay home and not overwhelm the medical system. Even if we had symptoms we were TOLD to stay home.

Also, we did do what was needed and we flattened the curve but a virus is a virus and not easily knocked down, especially one that is supposedly easier to catch than the flu.

Europe did it.

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

No we were bad with tests early on because we had leadership that handled getting an adequate number of tests out there poorly. Other countries were way ahead of us in getting a bunch of tests out there early.

And no we did not do what was needed. A large number of countries have shown us that the virus actually can be knocked down. hell some regions of this country have shown that it can be knocked down. But people like you clamored to reopen prematurely. That had a cost, and instead of knocking the virus down to a level where the community spread would be lower we quit our efforts right after the peak when viral spread was still at high enough levels that they would take off right away as soon as people relaxed restrictions.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas

I don’t wanna drum up stuff that is in the past but the CDC initial Covid test was a massive failure and we lost weeks because of it. Had little to do with politics and everything to do with faulty initial tests. As a system we had to scrap entire way of testing and start from scratch.

this country was not set up nor prepared for a massive pandemic..testing wise.

Thankfully if this happens again we will have the infrastructure in place to help future generations.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I don’t wanna drum up stuff that is in the past but the CDC initial Covid test was a massive failure and we lost weeks because of it. Had little to do with politics and everything to do with faulty initial tests. As a system we had to scrap entire way of testing and start from scratch.

this country was not set up nor prepared for a massive pandemic..testing wise.

Thankfully if this happens again we will have the infrastructure in place to help future generations.

Politics had nothing to do with it? Really? Trump dismantled the office that Obama had set up to deal with pandemics the minute he stepped foot in the WH. That probably didn't help matters much.

And Trump called it a hoax up until mid March, almost 2 months after he knew it was coming to America.

Sure we also had some testing issues early on, and people initially were told masks didn't help too.... none of that helped matters either of course.

But by the end of March and early April we knew what had to be done.... and couldn't sacrifice enough to do it. It's been a total s**t show ever since. Trump is still in denial.

• Agree
Reactions: bsaltyman

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

We were bad with tests early on because they weren't readily available despite months of time to get them ready and disperse them.

I was told to stay home in March with symptoms because there weren't enough tests and I wasn't elderly or experiencing breathing issues.

• Agree
Reactions: motorcy90

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
1000% agree on ALL politicians!

I am a little more cynical about scientists though, it is tempered by "follow the money"

So ever since late March and early April when we all knew what was needed to be done.... you think the Republicans and Dems are both at fault? Interesting take.

And if you don't trust the scientists, then don't go to the doctor next time you need medical help, okay? I'm sure hoping it will go away like Trump's plan has been with the Covid virus will work, right? Who needs to go see a doctor? You never know what their motive might be, right?

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
Think the Universities "business" plan is to create a "bubble" around its students, faculty, and staff in order to accomplish its primary mission; creating leaders, scientists, engineers and scholars for the state, nation, and world. We see testing, staggered arrivals, quarantine, no breaks, etc. to further that goal. Playing football violates that effort on every home game Saturday.

Arguments can be made for "no fans" but you still violate the spirit of the policy, as well as create institutional problems.
1. Visiting teams, and all their support staff are invited to campus.
2. While I realize this would not happen at ISU, well maybe, programs would have to deny admission to those big corporations and fans who pay for suites etc. admission. Yes they are isolated, but they have to have hosts, security etc.; again violating the bubble concept. If that big oilman from Texas can't get to his seat in Darryl Royal stadium, or that insurance exec pulling his weight in Columbus trying to access the "shoe" is a PR nightmare and potentially can have a large impact on future support for the institution.
3. A lot of college football is surrounded by Alumni activity, and is one of the strengths of the sport. Denying access to some and not others could impact alumni relations for years. Think of the negative PR when we dropped Baseball and men's swimming.

Those presidents have tough decisions. Guess that's why they get paid the big bucks. But I don't think they will bend to political pressure or other outside influence, other than what the science says they should do, including evaluating all risk factors; including any additional risk to their "business" plan and long term institutional integrity.

Last edited:

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Politics had nothing to do with it? Really? Trump dismantled the office that Obama had set up to deal with pandemics the minute he stepped foot in the WH. That probably didn't help matters much.

And Trump called it a hoax up until mid March, almost 2 months after he knew it was coming to America.

Sure we also had some testing issues early on, and people initially were told masks didn't help too.... none of that helped matters either of course.

But by the end of March and early April we knew what had to be done.... and couldn't sacrifice enough to do it. It's been a total s**t show ever since. Trump is still in denial.

oh boy here we go..i can’t..not worth the effort.

kcbob79clone

We were bad with tests early on because they weren't readily available despite months of time to get them ready and disperse them.

I was told to stay home in March with symptoms because there weren't enough tests and I wasn't elderly or experiencing breathing issues.

I was told that my fever and symptoms weren't bad enough and that I wasn't old enough. They had enough testing kits but didn't want me potentially infecting anyone.

I rarely get the flu or even a cold and it was only a couple of days and the fever was gone. Must have been a mild case, if it was coronavirus at all. May not have even noticed except was taking temperature daily during the lockdown.