Massive explosion in Beirut

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Beirut explosion register 3.3 on Richter scale. Pepcon at 3.5 (though differing geology may have affected the numbers)

The Waco explosion registered a 2.1. That pepcon explosion appeared to be significantly underground whereas the other two are both completely above ground. I don't think that is really on the same scale of size/damage.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
One thing to note - while it’s likely an accident, the fact that it’s an ammonium nitrate explosion doesn’t completely preclude the possibility of it being a terrorist attack. If someone knew where it was being stored, that would make it a tempting target. I’m sure that possibility will be investigated.

Certainly true. I'm sure the investigators will try to find out if anything was mixed with the fertilizer. Not really going to go into detail but that makes it much more dangerous. Moral of the story though is that much fertilizer should never be stored together and CERTAINLY never near a city.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Certainly true. I'm sure the investigators will try to find out if anything was mixed with the fertilizer. Not really going to go into detail but that makes it much more dangerous. Moral of the story though is that much fertilizer should never be stored together and CERTAINLY never near a city.
Agreed.

Considering the size of the explosion and the proximity to population, I would think there would be far more deaths. Certainly the number will rise in the coming days, but less than a hundred reported so far.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
So I guess I was wrong when I said it was good living in the middle of nowhere since there are large amounts of fertilizer storage around me. Jeez, what now?

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
He used an ANFO bomb, which has a higher energy potential. The extra hydrocarbons from the fuel oil maximize the oxygen available from the ammonium nitrate as it breaks down.
I spose but the facility reportedly had 2700 tons of it...

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Agreed.

Considering the size of the explosion and the proximity to population, I would think there would be far more deaths. Certainly the number will rise in the coming days, but less than a hundred reported so far.

They are probably just reporting confirmed deaths. Sadly, there will be people close to the shockwave who will never be found and the toll will rise.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
So I don’t know the geographic or societal makeup of the various Beirut neighborhoods, but apparently that was the most vibrant and growing of them (though Beirut as a whole is struggling terribly). To have had thousands of tonnes of high explosive unsecured right in the middle of it is so incredibly ridiculous, even for a country struggling like Lebanon.

It will be a true miracle if the death toll remains relatively low compared to what it could have been.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
The Waco explosion registered a 2.1. That pepcon explosion appeared to be significantly underground whereas the other two are both completely above ground. I don't think that is really on the same scale of size/damage.
Agreed, and being right on the Beirut waterfront there really is a significant difference.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Well I used to chase tornadoes as a hobby. Seeing homesteads get leveled then watch as the owners in shock crawl out of their cellars looking for their dogs was too sobering (true story).

Serious topic but WAY cool... I'm sorta a fan of avalanches for some goofy reason...

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Trump said this afternoon, like the moron he is, that he thinks it was a bomb.... but he didn't sound too sure??

Don't you love having a president trying to start WWIII without knowing the facts yet.

looked like a bomb to me. the attack could have been what started the fire that set off the stockpiles of ammonium nitrate, or whatever was under that warehouse next to the silo (hidden arms cache for terrorists?). I'm also guessing that there weren't any fireworks involved. I have no idea really, but Trump and people within our military know a lot more about what happened than all of the twitter experts on here.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
looked like a bomb to me. the attack could have been what started the fire that set off the stockpiles of ammonium nitrate, or whatever was under that warehouse next to the silo (hidden arms cache for terrorists?). I'm also guessing that there weren't any fireworks involved. I have no idea really, but Trump and people within our military know a lot more about what happened than all of the twitter experts on here.

LOL. We’re talking military here, not men’s makeup trends.

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
Apparently, the 2750 tons of ammonium nitrate had been in the warehouse since 2013. It was originally on a cargo ship that was sailing from Georgia to Mozambique, but ran into technical/mechanical issues and was forced into port in Beirut. The Lebenese government wouldn't allow the ship to sail on, and it was eventually abandoned. The contents of the ship were confiscated by the government and the ammonium nitrate was stored in the port.

Since 2013, at least six letters and inquiries were made by Lebanese Customs officials attempting to remove/dispose of the ammonium nitrate, but were not given instruction on how to proceed.

Source: Beirut blast: Tracing the explosives that tore the capital apart | Aljazeera.com

• Informative
Reactions: Bigman38