MLB: 2020 Chicago Cubs Season Thread

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Pirates aren't good (can't hit) but always nice to sweep a team.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I'll absolutely take a 7-2 start to the season. 4 games against the Royals coming up as well. Hopefully can win at least 3 of 4.

Also, it worked in the Cubs favor but I think I dislike the new extra innings rule. I understand the intent of it but I think it's too gimmicky and changes the game so much.

Reactions: CYdTracked

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Also, it worked in the Cubs favor but I think I dislike the new extra innings rule. I understand the intent of it but I think it's too gimmicky and changes the game so much.

Just go to a home run derby in extra innings.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Just go to a home run derby in extra innings.
Maybe a runner on first or something. Still requires a team to get a hit to score a run. You can score a run from 2nd somewhat easily with no outs without really doing anything. Bunt him over then a sac fly or another bunt scores it

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
I'll absolutely take a 7-2 start to the season. 4 games against the Royals coming up as well. Hopefully can win at least 3 of 4.

there are a lot of youth softball (and I assume baseball?) leagues that go to that extra innings rule. I don’t think it’s a bad idea. It adds to the excitement of the game.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
there are a lot of youth softball (and I assume baseball?) leagues that go to that extra innings rule. I don’t think it’s a bad idea. It adds to the excitement of the game.
But those youth leagues and tournaments are usually in a time crunch. I might be more open to starting it in like the 12 or 13th inning I suppose. I’m trying to think of another sport where overtime/after regulation changes as much as this rule does for baseball. Basketball and football no. Hockey and soccer sometimes have shootouts but that’s after a normal OT period. I just think it cheapens the game a little bit. Totally understand if I’m in the minority

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Maybe a runner on first or something. Still requires a team to get a hit to score a run. You can score a run from 2nd somewhat easily with no outs without really doing anything. Bunt him over then a sac fly or another bunt scores it

The defense should almost automatically walk the leadoff hitter to set up a double play/force out on the lead runner. If the offense successfully bunts the runners over (not a given, seeing as how terrible most hitters are at bunting anymore), gladly take the free out and then walk the next guy to set up force outs at every bag.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I'm sure this has been discussed before by now, but I think it's clear that Hottovy has been a resounding success as pitching coach. Helped Darvish find his mojo again, and the work he's done with Chatwood has been nothing short of phenomenal. It's crazy to think that the Cubs may legitimately have three #1 caliber starters, plus a Lester who seems to have polished the transition from being a guy who could simply beat you with his stuff to being a totally refined technician/crafty vet who just gets the job done. Mills looked really good his first time out, as well, and we'll find out before long what they have in Q. Just a remarkable performance for a position group I was pretty concerned about coming into the season (aside from Hendricks and Darvish).

Now if they could just figure something out in the bullpen (I'm holding out hope that we'll see Marquez and Miller in the bullpen before the season's over; Marquez is a guy who I could see pulling a Wainwright and end his rookie year as the closer before taking his spot in the rotation in Year 2).

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
The defense should almost automatically walk the leadoff hitter to set up a double play/force out on the lead runner. If the offense successfully bunts the runners over (not a given, seeing as how terrible most hitters are at bunting anymore), gladly take the free out and then walk the next guy to set up force outs at every bag.

Gotta get an out first. Offenses aren't use to playing small ball. If they give you the out take it.

If you walk the first batter, you could find yourself really in a huge jam by walking the second.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Len and JD were talking through the strategy and I think I agree with them. Top of the inning you try to get the first guy out and go from there since walking first batter could cause a huge inning. Bottom of the inning try to get first batter to chase and nibble at the edges cause if they only need to score one run a walk doesn’t kill you

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
I totally forgot about this rule and looked at Gamecast in extra innings and was super confused on how a runner got on 2nd but yet I couldn’t see how on gamecast.

Too gimmicky. I’m okay with it for this weird shortened season but would dislike it moving forward next year.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Gotta get an out first. Offenses aren't use to playing small ball. If they give you the out take it.

If you walk the first batter, you could find yourself really in a huge jam by walking the second.

I guess I should amend that. If you're the road team and the score is tied, I'd use that strategy because the only runner that matters is the lead one, and ending the inning as quickly as possible is paramount.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Magic Number update:

screen_shot_2018_06_26_at_1_58_23_am.0.png

Reactions: cycloneworld

FarmClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2009
Well this has been quite the surprise start to the season.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Also, I'm not expecting it to be sustainable but the starting pitching staff has been insane. Bullpen has managed to do very well the last couple games as well

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron