Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Annoyance #1 of the day: Went through the car wash which was actually purchased last week when I had gotten a full tank of gas. 10 minutes later, driving down I-80, and I see it about to happen. Large insect splats itself just to the right of the driver's eyeline. Ugh. Wipers did not help much.

Annoyance #2 of the day: My phone fell out of my pocket and landed in the parking lot of JTS screen down at Homecoming. Looks like it took a glancing blow of buckshot. Have pretty much just dealt with it. Now, the deeper impacts are starting to annoy me just as I scroll through things. Not really wanting to drop money on a new screen when I believe I'm up for a new phone this fall.

Yep. Definitely first world problems.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Annoyance #1 of the day: Went through the car wash which was actually purchased last week when I had gotten a full tank of gas. 10 minutes later, driving down I-80, and I see it about to happen. Large insect splats itself just to the right of the driver's eyeline. Ugh. Wipers did not help much.

Annoyance #2 of the day: My phone fell out of my pocket and landed in the parking lot of JTS screen down at Homecoming. Looks like it took a glancing blow of buckshot. Have pretty much just dealt with it. Now, the deeper impacts are starting to annoy me just as I scroll through things. Not really wanting to drop money on a new screen when I believe I'm up for a new phone this fall.

Yep. Definitely first world problems.
What do you have for a phone?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Going with the first world problem theme:

1. Busy unfriending peeps on FB. I rarely post political rants, actually almost never. Post a mild commentary and righties I hardly know are trashing me. So deleted the message, their reply and them. **** em.

2. Went to take a shower about 45 minutes go. Had biked 21 miles, needed. First time I have used the guest bath I had remodeled a couple years ago. Flip the by pass thingie on the bath spout to go to shower mode and the spout promptly flies off of the wall wall and connecting pipe. ****, ****, ****. Parts all over the bottom of the tub. So nice. Grrrr. I may have gotten it back together we'll see tomorrow.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

1. Busy unfriending peeps on FB. I rarely post political rants, actually almost never. Post a mild commentary and righties I hardly know are trashing me. So deleted the message, their reply and them. **** em.

2. Went to take a shower about 45 minutes go. Had biked 21 miles, needed. First time I have used the guest bath I had remodeled a couple years ago. Flip the by pass thingie on the bath spout to go to shower mode and the spout promptly flies off of the wall wall and connecting pipe. ****, ****, ****. Parts all over the bottom of the tub. So nice. Grrrr. I may have gotten it back together we'll see tomorrow.

At least it didn’t knock you in the head and you are knocked unconscious.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA

Not to mention I'll bet it scared the **** out of you.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
The cicada killer wasps are back. The vixen hasn't been around them much, and there's a burrow under the splash block in front of the garage. A male guards it, and when she came to water the flowers, he started buzzing her and she freaked.

So I patiently explained that they are simply aggressive, they rarely sting. Later on we watched as the female flew back to the burrow with a cicada in tow and disappeared. I think tomorrow I'll pour a little gas down the hole. (They don't like that, at all.)

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I turned off the AC last night and opened the windows. Not a hint of breeze. House was just as warm at 4:00 as it was when I went to bed. Closed the windows and turned the AC back on. Granted it hasn't turned on as currently the house isn't heating up

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Wish it was a week earlier for pollination, but grain fill should be fantastic if we can get some rain.

I've come to the conclusion that Dirty Dodge must have some kind of invisible dome over it. We haven't had a decent rain in weeks, although communities all around us have gotten some.

My lawn looks (and sounds when I walk over it) like shredded wheat. Good thing the seed companies have infused drought tolerance into these crops!

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I've come to the conclusion that Dirty Dodge must have some kind of invisible dome over it. We haven't had a decent rain in weeks, although communities all around us have gotten some.

My lawn looks (and sounds when I walk over it) like shredded wheat. Good thing the seed companies have infused drought tolerance into these crops!
The weather seems to separate and go around Omaha unless it is a big enough cell that it can't break up.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
What do you have for a phone?

Galaxy S10 Edge. The screen itself works, so I don't need that fully replaced, just the overlay. Know someone that can do it, too, for free [beer]. Maybe I do pony up and get it done.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Galaxy S10 Edge. The screen itself works, so I don't need that fully replaced, just the overlay. Know someone that can do it, too, for free [beer]. Maybe I do pony up and get it done.

I'm cheap enough, and hate changing phones, that I would definitely do that and probably even keep the phone as long as possible.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Youngest son (the marine) just called and said, "BEFORE you watch the news...". First thing you think is he's getting deployed (which is not supposed to happen at this stage due to his new duty station). But no...

Apparently a tornado went through his neighborhood this morning, courtesy of Hurricane Isiasis (or whatever demon spawn, unpronounceable name they gave this one)! They are okay; will need to do some roof-checking, but neighbors lost garage doors, fences, trees, & parts of roofs. He said he & his girls & dogs went to the basement when the sirens sounded. He heard the "all clear" siren and went upstairs to look out, got to the top of the stairs & heard the freight train sound. Nope nope nope back down the stairs!

His wife is going to have a helluva week. She works for the local State Farm agency. :D

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
For clarity, here is a pic of a cicada-killer actually clenching a cicada:
upload_2020-8-4_9-58-41.jpeg
It's pretty funny to see her flying with this thing in tow.....it's all she can do to navigate!

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I saw one dragging a cicada over to the nest a week or so ago.
We have those holes all over the dry dirt part of our lawn. Saw something move in one as I walked to our compost pile and almost tripped.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Daughter told us that the girl a couple blocks down that will be a freshman at ISU told her that she didn't get FB tickets and didn't matter because she plans to come home every weekend through September. I told the daughter, that is a good way to set yourself back on making friends at ISU. The first two weekends or so are when I made most of my friends at ISU that I hung with the first year or so. The ones who struggled to fit in, went home a bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.