Dowling and Valley recruiting players From all over

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It's come a long way the past twenty years in Iowa, but some places it's still that low.

In public schools? I remember sitting at school board meetings about 5-6 years ago and the super talking about the grants that the state has to bump the minimum to 30k.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Or.......open enrolls at a public school they would prefer. Haven't we been down this road before? I can punch up that thread if you wish.

Open enrolling doesn't work well for football because you can only do it in the fall and they aren't eligible until the season is almost over.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Exactly, it's like we haven't noticed what's happening with the city schools and the burbs.
No, i do not agree.

Who the hell cares about recruting in Hs sports and who cares about an even playing field competatively.

Maybe we should be more worried about a competative playing field academically.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
A couple of reasons for this is special needs kids require their own program and most private schools just don't have the funding. Second there just aren't enough kids wanting to go to private schools that require these programs and like CloneJD said public schools are better equipped to give them the education they need.
I agree with you, but if is unfortunate some of these schools don't comply with ADA laws.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Private schools (and home schooling) is good for public schools. It keeps the class sizes smaller.

But yeah, as an old school Heelan grad...**** Dowling...

There's not nearly as much disparity in educational quality between privates and the well-resourced publics in Iowa as some would have you think. People who act like it's a different world between the two here are kidding themselves. In other states especially in the South where public education is a tire fire, absolutely. I've worked with private high schools on the East Coast where the yearly tuition is $55k, that's a different world.

2ndCyCE

Dec 21, 2011
Tulsa
Sorry if this post is kinda cavey, but the public-private divide is exacerbated in areas where state vouchers are used by families toward sending their kids to private schools, which funnels state money away from the public school system, adding to the problem.

If people want to pay for a private education that they feel is better for their children, fine. But private schools can fund themselves through tuition and fees, period. Not from any state funds!

20eyes

May 15, 2020
There's not nearly as much disparity in educational quality between privates and the well-resourced publics in Iowa as some would have you think. People who act like it's a different world between the two here are kidding themselves. In other states especially in the South where public education is a tire fire, absolutely. I've worked with private high schools on the East Coast where the yearly tuition is $55k, that's a different world.

Not sure why you quoted me but I agree. Had we stayed in Beaverdale way back when it was a toss up for me, Roosevelt vs. Dowling for my kids. When I grew up on the north side of Sioux City we didn't consider North inferior to Heelan at all in academics.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
St. Albert in Council Bluffs steals many of the middle to upper class athletes from a 65k population and then goes and plays 3k population farm towns all year long. How fun.

In a sense this is happening to Van Meter.

They don't go from total dog sh*t to winning football and baseball state titles overnight for no reason.

Not that they are so much "recruiting" but they've figured out they can get the Waukee athletes and go beat up on 2A schools.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
In a sense this is happening to Van Meter.

They don't go from total dog sh*t to winning football and baseball state titles overnight for no reason.

Not that they are so much "recruiting" but they've figured out they can get the Waukee athletes and go beat up on 2A schools.

You can kind of point that way around every metro in Iowa right now and it's only going to get worse.

CR/Marion--North Linn

Iowa City--Clear Creek Amana and Solon

Waterloo/CF--Dike-New Hartford (Denver and Jesup are coming)

Dubuque--Western Dubuque (though they're 4A now) and Cascade

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Minnesota has now moved football to the spring. Let's see how many of the northern-tier schools in Iowa benefit.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
You can kind of point that way around every metro in Iowa right now and it's only going to get worse.

CR/Marion--North Linn

Iowa City--Clear Creek Amana and Solon

Waterloo/CF--Dike-New Hartford (Denver and Jesup are coming)

Dubuque--Western Dubuque (though they're 4A now) and Cascade

North Linn?