Dowling and Valley recruiting players From all over

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
None of this affects any of us, year here we are, retreating into our corners, assuming people who make different decisions than we do are somehow foolish.

A few random thoughts here. I didn't quote each author:

Regarding anti-vax comment.I went to a Catholic high school and the vast majority are anti-Trump. 100% of my class went to college. Most people I still see believe in Catholic social teaching, which means you have a heavenly responsibility to care for others even to your own detriment.

Winning a state championship doesn't bring in money except from alumni. It really doesn't matter in the long run. Many sports are won by upper middle class teams. That's the way it works these days. A smaller private school is playing vs a public school with maybe twice the enrollment.

Why do private school alumni donate to their alma mater way more? My guess is because it's a community based on more than geographic location of your house.

My school had 50% on reduced tuition or scholarships. It's not all rich people. You don't go to a private school just for the religion. For my family it was a small part of it. The larger part is knowing that your child is in an environment where everyone there proactively chose to send their child, at some cost to them. That usually means the children are better behaved, there's more parental support, and an overall more positive attitude throughout the building. That doesn't mean these things don't exist in a public school, not by a long shot. There's just some shared experience by sending your kid to a private school that tends to result in a more bonded community.

Most of those kids are probably going to be fine if they went to public school. And I don't think it's fair to say the kids won't experience the real world. The fact is most of us on here probably haven't experience the "real world". Any of you who bought a ranch house on a cul-de-sac in Johnston moved there because you didn't want to experience the real world, right?. What is the real world, even? You probably went to Iowa State to do get a degree, to make more money, to buy a better house and have more stability. None of those things necessarily harm other people. And it certainly doesn't harm other people if you send your kid to a private school. So let people live the way they want to live.

Reactions: heitclone

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Don't play dumb, you are clearly bothered by the situation by the tone in your posts. It's high school sports, it'll all be ok in the end. If you think Dowling/private schools are the only schools "recruiting" then you are delusional. Don't get all upset they are just better at it. Kids (and their parents) want to be a part of success and have a better chance at playing at the next level. You should be just as upset with them as you are at the Catholic schools.

The post below is the best post in the thread

actually you seem to be bothered by the discussion and unable to actually talk about it without making stupid allegations. So I’m fact you seem pretty bent out of shape about this whole topic

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
actually you seem to be bothered by the discussion and unable to actually talk about it without making stupid allegations. So I’m fact you seem pretty bent out of shape about this whole topic
How am I not having a discussion about it? What stupid allegation did I make? Immature post

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
Meanwhile, in this neighborhood,.......it is interesting to see the Illinois license plates in the Bettendorf student parking lot.o_O

clone2003

Sep 1, 2013
Feeling entitled/privileged or what? Sorry I lived in a rural area that didn’t have a Catholic high school. Did I say I hated them? Thought I said the coaches were a bunch of a-holes.
Why are they a-holes again? Because you don't like how they coach? Must be doing something right to win 6 in a row, as opposed to the one horse town you're from that's probably never won anything. I feel your jealousy hater

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Why are they a-holes again? Because you don't like how they coach? Must be doing something right to win 6 in a row, as opposed to the one horse town you're from that's probably never won anything. I feel your jealousy hater

Some of the Dowling coaches are a-holes. Oh well. I know, as a coach, I get a little irritated at the chain crew guys acting like they own the freaking sidelines. Most are fine, but man there are some.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Are you saying the 1A and 2A private schools recruit too?

Ya, that is what I am saying, I know of former students of mine that were being recruited from 8th grade to a area private school.
Look at the roster of some of these teams and where they are from, you see a lot of kids that are not in the boundary of the school district. But I suppose since most private schools do not have boundaries it does not matter to some.
Coaches talk, and they know what is happening, we would see it every now and then, some kid playing middle school sports at one public school, and then hit high school he is now playing for a private religious school.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

You sound like a hawk troll on here. I guess you have never been on the sidelines before. Just another one of those “guys” behind a keyboard. Surprised you can walk anywhere in your “one horse town” with your massive ego.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
YNot everyone that goes to Catholic/private school is rich. Every family has to make sacrifices.
We had multiple families where I went with 8 or 9 kids in the family. That's half a million dollars for high school.

That qualifies you as rich.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Ya, that is what I am saying, I know of former students of mine that were being recruited from 8th grade to a area private school.
Look at the roster of some of these teams and where they are from, you see a lot of kids that are not in the boundary of the school district. But I suppose since most private schools do not have boundaries it does not matter to some.
Coaches talk, and they know what is happening, we would see it every now and then, some kid playing middle school sports at one public school, and then hit high school he is now playing for a private religious school.

Or.......open enrolls at a public school they would prefer. Haven't we been down this road before? I can punch up that thread if you wish.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
The haves and the have nots. I don't really have a problem with recruiting at Catholic schools. What I do have a problem with is people claiming an apples to apples comparison of private school student performance vs public schools. Public schools have to take everyone, private schools choose. Of course there will be better grades and behavior when they can choose if they want 'problem' students or not.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
The haves and the have nots. I don't really have a problem with recruiting at Catholic schools. What I do have a problem with is people claiming an apples to apples comparison of private school student performance vs public schools. Public schools have to take everyone, private schools choose. Of course there will be better grades and behavior when they can choose if they want 'problem' students or not.
100% correct. Truly is an apples and oranges comparison. These comparisons only add to the angst and anger that already exists.

How many private, religious based schools in Iowa accept mentally and physically challenged kids? I am a supporter (my kids went public) of private schools (financial and societal), but this is their dirty little secret.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
100% correct. Truly is an apples and oranges comparison. These comparisons only add to the angst and anger that already exists.

How many private, religious based schools in Iowa accept mentally and physically challenged kids? I am a supporter (my kids went public) of private schools (financial and societal), but this is their dirty little secret.
Public schools have been robbed by redistricting tax boundaries, now vouchers, more federal cuts in funding and service. The rich have been slowly harvesting all the wealth and influence for a hundred years.