Any experience with CrossFit?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Hey all, looking to whip myself back into shape. Over the last year I’ve let my health slide with a lack of exercise and was wondering what experience people had with CrossFit? I’ve done farrells and kosama before and they were good. Used to Play basketball regularly but it doesn’t look like that’s coming back anytime soon. I’ve lifted on my own before on and off but do better from an accountability standpoint when I have a group with me. Never really been trained how to lift before so was hoping the oversized with CrossFit would help teach along the way. What’s your experience with it?

Reactions: Cdiedrick

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
It’ll give you a good workout. You’ll get stronger and shed some weight but nutrition in 90% of losing weight. Like most things, there is a injury risk.

Reactions: cayin

Cyballz

Aug 20, 2009
R5hcQbR.gif

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
I can’t get enough of that gif.... I’m not looking to do competitions with it. Just to get back into shape. This 37 year old is past his prime

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I actually joined a CrossFit gym last November/December. My goal was to find a routine to merge strength and cardio, which you will get. The first two months, you will be sore and may not be able to finish some of the days workouts, but if you keep up with it, you will get there. There are still some days workouts I don’t finish.

Since joining, I’ve injured myself twice, I am currently injured and am taking a week off. I got injured doing the lift in the gif above, but it was my quad or groin I injured.

As for results, I haven’t lost weight, but I have gotten some muscle tone in areas of my body where I don’t have as much fat. Primarily my arms look a little more tone. The biggest improvement I saw was with my cardio. Last summer I couldn’t continually run 2 miles; I would take short walking breaks. Joined a CrossFit gym and my first run this spring ran 2.5 miles without waking. I didn’t run at all during the winter.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
The best workout option is the one you'll stick with. If you're interested in cross fit, go try it.

I've never been to a cross fit gym. I like cross fit type exercises, but hate their workouts, if that makes sense. Too many complicated movements taken to failure.

If the staff doesn't seem to be teaching you good form and is more concerned about "1 more rep" than doing it safely, I'd consider moving on.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
My opinion, from a longevity standpoint alone, I think classic strength training is better.

You work your cardio system enough to stay healthy. And no one ever got sent to the nursing home because their mile time sucked. But once youre not strong enough to squat yourself out of a chair, you're screwed. Lifting also keeps your bones strong so you're not breaking hips & certain lifts definitely promote flexibility.

I've never once hurt myself squatting and deadlifting, even at high (for me) weights.

lionnusmb

Dec 30, 2008
Ankeny, IA
I have been going for about a year and a half and enjoy the gains I have made. The gym I go to is in the North part of Ankeny and the coaches are great. They are upbeat, safety conscious and just want you to enjoy yourself while pushing you to your best ability. The strength training and technique portion is always great. Safety is always the top priority. Proper technique is part of safety.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I’m not sure if this is common everywhere, but before we do a workout, we review the motions of the workout. So we will break down parts of a devil press and do a couple reps of certain parts of the movement before putting it all together.

Form is important, it’s still something I struggle with.

Reactions: Ryan4069

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
I have been going for about a year and a half and enjoy the gains I have made. The gym I go to is in the North part of Ankeny and the coaches are great. They are upbeat, safety conscious and just want you to enjoy yourself while pushing you to your best ability. The strength training and technique portion is always great. Safety is always the top priority. Proper technique is part of safety.

that’s actually the one I’d potentially go to as it’s closest to me.

CYTUTT

Nov 25, 2012
I was a part of CrossFit for two years a while back. All the gyms have a different personality, so look at a couple options, if you can. They do Olympic lifting, running, some gymnastics (very basic - handstands and some ring work) and a lot of squats. It will take a toll on your body, but if you modify your workouts, you will be fine after you understand that you can ease off or not finish. Mentally, you will be stronger than you thought possible. Great people who support you because they know how hard it is just to be there. Always timed and there are several workouts that are standard in every gym - Murph, for example.

You need to go visit a gym. They have a free or low fee first class. If you want to be pushed, they got it and more. If you go 5 days a week and you aren’t exhausted, you should quit and get a normal gym membership. They can be expensive, but I loved all but the first workout. I quit for financial reasons and they moved the gym to a location further away.

3,2,1...Go!

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Cross Fit is an extremely injury prone type of training. So if you do it, be careful. If your older, my advice is to just stay away from it. If your goal is cosmetic (look better) and better health, hypertrophy type training (not strength training) and nutrition is the key. You can't out train a bad diet, well to clarify some young guys can and the few with great genetics can but most people over 30 can't.

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
I joined a CrossFit gym in March and absolutely love it. The mix of cardio and strength training is great and the variety of workouts keeps things from getting stale. I have dropped a couple of pounds, but as others have said, I’ve gained a lot more strength. The coaches are very important. If they are focused on form over weight and number of reps, you’re in a good place.
The gym community is the best part for me though. The classes feel like a sports team practice to me and I love that aspect.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I joined and did it for a month, but my neck and shoulders are absolutely trash after roofing and building grain bins when I was younger. I just knew I was going to injure myself with all of the overhead lifts. I will say I think it's a fantastic workout and if my arms weren't held on by rubber bands basically in my shoulders I'd probably still be doing it.

Also if you're at all self conscious get over that quick. There is going to be a 120 pound female doing twice the weight (if not more) that you will be when you first start. I thought that was pretty cool and everybody is really encouraging but man it was tough that month.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Also, if you can’t do any of the movements due to body limitations or injuries, a good coach/program will have modifications for those movements to keep you healthy yet still give you a good workout.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
If I knew I wouldn’t get injured I would love Crossfit. My wife and I have been going to a bootcamp style gym in Waukee for 3+ years and I’ve never been in better shape and never been injured. We don’t do heavy barbell lifts, mostly dumbbell/kettlebell and athletic movements like pushing sleds out on the turf.

Reactions: Daserop

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I wasn't a fan of Crossfit, everything they do is contrary to what I learned in my years of football strength and conditioning training.

In football we were taught to control the weight, in Crossfit everything is momentum and doing things fast.

For example:
Football pullups = pullup, pause, go down on a 3 count, pause pull up - no kicking your legs.

Crossfit pullups= pullup as fast as you can, go down as fast as you can and use the momentum to pull yourself back up and don't forget to kick and use your legs to help you get up.

Last edited:

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
Hey all, looking to whip myself back into shape. Over the last year I’ve let my health slide with a lack of exercise and was wondering what experience people had with CrossFit? I’ve done farrells and kosama before and they were good. Used to Play basketball regularly but it doesn’t look like that’s coming back anytime soon. I’ve lifted on my own before on and off but do better from an accountability standpoint when I have a group with me. Never really been trained how to lift before so was hoping the oversized with CrossFit would help teach along the way. What’s your experience with it?

I tried one out. The first two sessions were for new people and the instructor spent a majority of the time teaching proper form (using really light weights). However, that all changed when I went to a "regular" session. They kept on pushing me to go faster (at the expense of proper form) and that made me uncomfortable; especially given the amount of weight I was planning on lifting.

Personally, if there's an Orange Theory near you, I'd recommend that instead.

sandiego

Dec 14, 2006
Chattanooga, TN
I'm going on 5+ years with CrossFit and love it. Started when I was 35. As a couple others mentioned its all about the coaching. Find good coaches and you're set. Check out a couple boxes to experience the coaching and the community that box has created.

Try it out and see if it's for you! It's a lot easier to keep going back with good coaching and a good community of people to work out with.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
It’ll give you a good workout. You’ll get stronger and shed some weight but nutrition in 90% of losing weight. Like most things, there is a injury risk.

This is what's kept me away from the CrossFit world. I don't need to be doing compound moves with heavy weight at my age.

It's a recipe for injury. Boredom and injury are the biggest reasons I take pauses in working out. (Although fighting like hell through this plantar plate tear at the moment)